Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
mcmike
Human being with feelings

Default Stuck MIDI notes

In version 4.02 Reaper 64, I still get stuck notes when playing MIDI instruments. I'm using instruments from NI Komplete as well as others, and they are loaded into mixer channels in Reaper. This doesn't happen in Reaper 32. I have an HP PC with an I7 quad core processor, 4 GB RAM, running Windows 7 64-bit. This same problem existed in Version 3 of Reaper and was reported then.
mcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
AtmanActive

Please be more specific.

Stuck notes in which situations?
- Playing live in 'MIDI thru' mode?
- Playing back recorded tracks?
- Changing parameters while in play back mode?
- Mute/Solo while in play back mode?
- Rendering single tracks?
- Rendering whole mix?
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
mcmike

Playing live. For example, if I play a two-handed piano part, usually within 30 seconds 1 note sticks. It's like it' doesn't get the note-off message. If I press the stuck note again, it gets a note-off and stops playing.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

When you say it works with reaper 32bit, do you mean on the same 64bit OS?

What is happening when you record a piece with these stuck notes and play it back?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
mcmike

I just recorded a short bit of piano. After a a while one note stuck, so I stopped. On playback, the note did not stick. However, I observed another stuck note that I didn't hear when I wa recording. On subsequent playback, that note did not stick. On playback again, I heard another note stick. On subsequent playback, it didn't stick. I am using an NI Elecktrik Piano Virtual instrument for the piano.
I don't think it's my interface. I have no problems with Reaper in 32-bit mode. The interface has worked flawlessly with other programs. It's a Tascam FW-1804 audio/MIDI interface over Firewire.

I am running Reaper 64 on Windows 7 64-bit. Once again, no problems with Reaper in 32-bit mode running under Window 7 64-bit.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
DarkStar

So, at various, random points, a Note Off is vanishing between the Reaper MIDI Clip and NI's Elektrik Piano?

Can you put a MIDI Monitor or MIDI Logger immediately in front of Elektrik Piano and see if the absent Note off is listed there? You'll need to stop playback quickly after the stuck note.

Last edited by DarkStar; 08-26-2011 at 09:54 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
mcmike

I'll try to do that later this weekend, as I have to go to work now. BTW, this problem is not just limited to the NI ELKTRIK Piano; it happens on any virtual instrument. For my next test I'll use the B4 organ, since it sustains.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
lifesglorydead

Im not technically qualified at MIDI stuff but I will say that this happens to me frequently running live monitoring thru Reaper with my Oxygen controller and Toshiba laptop. It's across the board for any VSTi. Not fun playing B3 live and having keys stick...
lifesglorydead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
mcmike

I tried it with the B4, and got no stuck notes. Then, I tried an electric piano, and got them. When I recorded it, sometimes on playback, the note stuck, and sometimes it didn't. I'm starting to wonder if it is a VSTi compatibility issue with 32-bit instruments in 64-bit Reaper. As I said before, I never had this problem with Reaper running in 32-bit.

On the notes that stuck, Reaper does show that they received a note-off, since there is a note duration quantity. I also checked to see if it was a sustain pedal issue (cc64), but the sustain pedal had an 0-value event after every 127-event.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
Mradyfist

I'm getting similar issues - I have a project with about 3 or 4 Kontakt instances running, and I'll have dropped MIDI-off events during live playing, playback of recorded MIDI, and frustratingly enough during offline render. It seems to be completely random even during offline render, I tried it once at full speed and got a stuck note halfway through the render, and when I tried the same project again at 1x speed two notes were dropped entirely at the beginning.

I've only really noticed it with Kontakt, although my project is pretty Kontakt-heavy; I don't think I've heard any issues with either Battery or Reaktor on the same project, but it would be harder for me to tell with those instruments. I've got a laptop with a Q9000, 4GB of RAM, Win7 64-bit, 64-bit version of Reaper, and a TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 set to 1024 samples of buffer for this project.
Mradyfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #11
wailer

Hello everyone,

I have exactly the same problem with 32bit VSTi plugins bridged to Reaper 4.21 64bit.
Sometimes Reaper seems to miss out the "note off" message and randomly midi notes get stuck until the same note is played again.

This only occurs with 32bit Plugins (Independence Free, NI Electric Piano, NI B4, Kontakt4) bridged to Reaper 64bit.

I'm working with a DELL Inspiron 535MT, Windows 7 64bit and a Saffire 6 USB Audio Interface.

Is there any solution to this issue, cause I'd really like to use these Plugins in Reaper 64 bit?

Greets, wailer
wailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Publicradio

My setup is pretty similar to the above poster (x64 with 32bit plugins) and I am also getting stuck notes.
Publicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
wailer

I have found an interesting article about running Plugins as "dedicate" or "seperate" process.

http://reaperblog.net/run-plugin-as-dedicated-process/

For me, I'll go back to Reaper 32bit (where I don't have any issues about stuck notes) and "outsource" the big samplebased Plugins which need a lot of RAM. In this way I can avoid the 3GB RAM barrier and have a lot more fun without stuck notes...
wailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Publicradio

Cool, I will try running dedicated processes for a while and post back with the results. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
ComposerParsons

Default MIDI notes stuck

I'm doing a time selection autopunch 4 bars in length on one piano track (Kontakt 4- 8 Out). The damper pedal is stuck on throughout the recording aand persists on playback. I used the FX Browser to run Kontakt 8 out as a dedicated process. Did'nt help. So I removed the Kontakt VST from the track, then added it back. Still no dice. Any ideas?
ComposerParsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
ComposerParsons

Default Stuck Notes (MIDI)

This problem is gettin stranger by the hour. I still get the stuck notes when I record (Must be damper pedal because all notes stick) but on playback all articulations are correct. And if I move to later in the track, recording and playback are both fine.

Would appreciate any wisdom or info anybody has.

Thanks
ComposerParsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
Yonks

I have this problem even on Reaper 32bit on my laptop (playing live) and have no problem on my main workstation.
On laptop I tried various midi-keyboards and midi-interfaces to connect it not only to USB.
I even done memtest - memory is working fine.
Strange problem...
Yonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
violinbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailer View Post
I have found an interesting article about running Plugins as "dedicate" or "seperate" process.

http://reaperblog.net/run-plugin-as-dedicated-process/

For me, I'll go back to Reaper 32bit (where I don't have any issues about stuck notes) and "outsource" the big samplebased Plugins which need a lot of RAM. In this way I can avoid the 3GB RAM barrier and have a lot more fun without stuck notes...
I seem to have fixed the sticky note problem in Kontakt by using "Only Native (disable bridging)" I say SEEMED because I just bought Damage and Evolve and I wasn't able to use them together on different tracks. Time will tell though. After you make this change you will have to re-instantiate the plugin first.

By the way, I use Win7Pro-64

Last edited by violinbow; 05-05-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: change needed.
violinbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
henrysouza

Default ME TOO!

I'm going through the same problem, I use Reaper as VST host and am having serious problems to play live.

If I use the 64bit version of Reaper, the crashes happen notes with 32bit VSTs that are "bridged". If I use the 32bit version of Reaper, the reverse happens, the lockups occur with 64bit VSTs that are "bridged".

Therefore, in my view, the problem is that we are in VSTs "bridge". As I own VSTs on both 32 and 64 bit, I end up without a solution that suits me completely.

Can anyone help me please?

Excuse my poor English, but I am Brazilian.
henrysouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
Publicradio

I ended up just switching to 32 bit reaper and my problems went away.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #21
Michiel Papenhove

Bumping this thread... Is there any news on this problem? I have the same issue when I run the 64-bit version of Reaper (latest release) on Windows 7. Some midi notes just get stuck at various moments and it indeed seems to have to do with the bridging of 32-bits plugins to 64-bit. I will be switching to the 32-bit version of Reaper too but it would of course be nice if using the 64-bit version would not result in midi-glitches... Anyone?
Michiel Papenhove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmike View Post
I just recorded a short bit of piano. After a a while one note stuck, so I stopped. On playback, the note did not stick. However, I observed another stuck note that I didn't hear when I wa recording. On subsequent playback, that note did not stick. On playback again, I heard another note stick. On subsequent playback, it didn't stick. I am using an NI Elecktrik Piano Virtual instrument for the piano.
I don't think it's my interface. I have no problems with Reaper in 32-bit mode. The interface has worked flawlessly with other programs. It's a Tascam FW-1804 audio/MIDI interface over Firewire.

I am running Reaper 64 on Windows 7 64-bit. Once again, no problems with Reaper in 32-bit mode running under Window 7 64-bit.
I'm running 32 bit Reaper and Win 7, and I had this problem a lot using Pianoteq and Sonik Synth. That was several updates ago, no problems lately, until tonight.

Now I'm getting stuck notes on any/every midi channel on a sonik synth track, in the exact same place in the song every time. Doesn't stick when I play it live, only when I record and play the track back. It's on the exact beat where I have a time signature change. But I have other time sig changes in the song and the same chord progression plays over those and there are no stuck notes. Only this one time sig change, same place every time.

I created new track and re-recorded from scratch, same result, even if I don't touch the damper pedal. Next I'll try using a different synth and see if it still sticks. In the distant past I was using Mackie Tracktion and Sonar, and I never had this problem in either one of those, using the same synths I use now. In Reaper I've had this problem in several projects with Pianoteq, Sonik Synth, and Sample Tank, even without having any time signature changes.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
STOP

I'm getting same issues playing live. Once in awhile I get stuck note.

Reaper 4.51 32bit

Tried different vsti; Tyrell, Combo model V and F... all have the same issue.

Last edited by STOP; 09-03-2013 at 07:11 AM.
STOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #24
STOP

Stuck notes (also missing notes) happend only when playing live using the repeat (transport) fonction. If I loop, let say 300 bars long and de-activate the repeat, everything works perfectly well, no more stuck note.

Last edited by STOP; 09-03-2013 at 10:56 AM.
STOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #25
doxent

I get more stuck notes with recent updates. They seem to happen intermittently when you glue 2 or more midi items together. Once I even got all notes stuck and nothing helped but I just had to delete a whole lane and play it all again. It seems like the glue function messes things up.
doxent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #26
j7n

I am getting stuck notes in a very specific case: when two or more note events of the same pitch (note number) occur on the same tick, either because several notes are being switched Off, or a note is being switched Off on the same tick as another is being switched On. In this case only one event will be processed, and a Note Off will be lost. Shortening the notes involved by one tick is enough to resolve the problem. The problem does not occur when different notes are triggered.

It is not physically possible to hold a key twice, but the situation may occur while editing.

The issue occurs with both VSTi effects and MIDI output devices.
j7n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #27
DarkStar

^^^^
Seems OK here (in v4.33)

...BIg pic: https://i.imgur.com/R4Y1TJj.png

I see that the truncated note is ended by a Note On with velocity 0. Could that be relevant?

Can you post a small problem file and a screenshot of the resulting MIDI messages (insertpizhere's MIDIMonitor gives a good view)

Last edited by DarkStar; 10-01-2013 at 05:16 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #28
j7n

stucknote.mid

Four sequences of notes are here: adjacent, adjacent, double end, double end. First and third sound correct; the second and last end with stuck notes.

Here (Win32, R 4.32, 4.52), no notes get truncated with velocity 0. MidiMonitor shows that none but the last note of measure 4 got turned off, and one #53 remained hanging in measure 8.

The weird thing is that this problem may go away within the same session. It just did for me, but came back.

Big pic.
j7n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #29
DarkStar

Thank you for the file.

This is not much help, but, here, in v4.33, the Note Offs are as expected.

Here is your pic, with my MIDI Monitor log added:

... Big pic: https://i.imgur.com/IaeITjX.png

insertpizhere's Monitor does not show Notes Ons with 0 velocity explicitly. In the screenshot I have included a small section from my own MIDI Monitor that shows that those Note Offs are actually Notes Ons with 0 velocity.

-------------
So the problem started somewhere between v4.33 and the latest version.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #30
Argle

I have been noticing stuck notes in Kontakt, trying to render a project today and yesterday. It affects full speed, 1x, and online. It's a random occurrence, aka I may get a stuck note on the first render try, but the next one goes through ok. I can't remember this problem happening before, tho I could be forgetting. I do remember getting the opposite in the past, dropped notes. I was using 4.53 yesterday and 4.54 today.
Argle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #31
romie233

Default Similar circumstances

Yup, I get stuck MIDI signals on playback while doing live Quantizing of a MIDI track while recording. (Yes the off signals are recorded)

I'm on the 64-bit version of Reaper as well. My plugins take a ton of RAM so I'm also in the position where 32-bit simply isn't an option.

Anyone figure this one out?

Plugins Used:
MusicLabs RealGuitar/RealStrat
Konkat - Native Instruments
BFD Eco
Garritan Personal Orchestra

All these plugins have problems when live Quantizing is used.
romie233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #32
multitracker

Default midi notes stuck 'on' - hanging notes

hey all, new to Reaper, but loving it!

I sometimes get stuck midi notes while playing back recorded tracks.
The stuck note will sometimes remain stuck, same note in the time line on subsequent playbacks.

Sometimes, the note that was stuck, plays back fine, only to have another note hang, sometimes on different tracks.

The issue doesn't seem to be consistent, but appears to be a random thing.

I just rendered a project, and found it rendered the stuck note too. So I rendered again, and the stuck note was gone.

I'm not sure where to check for note 'off' commands, being so new to Reaper.

As a newbie to Reaper, and not very well versed in techy stuff or midi, I'm at a loss as to what info to provide, that might help fix this issue.

Running Win7 ... using 64bit plugins
not sure what other info you may need to help trouble shoot this, but if you ask for some info, please let me know how I would find it, in layman's terms.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by multitracker; 10-07-2014 at 03:13 PM.
multitracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #33
SKY

Default stuck notes on playback

Hi--I'm using latest ver. of reaper--I think--...........I take an instrumental score in Finale, save it as midi, and insert it into Reaper (64 bit)--I use EW instruments--some notes get stuck, always in the same places--only remedy is to find the exact place--select those notes and turn the volume all the way off for there--very unsatisfactory and frustrating--situation seems to be getting worse with each new score----win. 8.1, EW instruments, 3rd gen. intel chip...............Sky
SKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #34
Fergler

I get stuck notes all the time too with any VSTi. You have to play the note again for it to stop. The bug is not recorded, it's live only.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #35
noise_construct

Getting stuck notes playing various 32-bit plugins, Reaper 32 on Win7 64. And on MIDI track as well, if a note extends to the end of the midi clip, it gets stuck.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #36
broken85

Since this was the first Google result for this issue, I'll add my voice. Latest version of Reaper 5 64-bit, and I get stuck notes in all ( or almost all) of my VSTis. Most notably, I have been working a lot with u-he's Hive, and experiencing non-stop issues with stuck MIDI notes.

For me, it seems to be randomly happening both on playback and live monitoring (or while recording). I don't know exactly what causes it, it seems more often than not like it's when MIDI notes overlap, and if I move the start/end of the notes in the virtual piano, it might fix it permanently, or maybe not.

Once a track stops experiencing the issue for me, it usually doesn't come back, but I have a heck of a time getting around that issue on some tracks.

Oh, and this is happening with a mixture of 32-bit and 64-bit VST2 and VST3 plugins that all seemingly have the same issue.
broken85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #37
Torben Scharling

not a very comforting thread to say the least... :s
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #38
LugNut

Hi,

Ive been using all the betas thru 5 and I don't get stuck notes. I'm on reaper 32 bit tho. Are you guys using windows 10?

Noise...on the item note sticking, could it be that the note off is not being played because the item ends b4 the note ends? Logic used to have a setting per item..or region in logic speak....called clip length.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #39
noise_construct

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,

Ive been using all the betas thru 5 and I don't get stuck notes. I'm on reaper 32 bit tho. Are you guys using windows 10?

Noise...on the item note sticking, could it be that the note off is not being played because the item ends b4 the note ends? Logic used to have a setting per item..or region in logic speak....called clip length.
Reaper sends note on at clip start, regardless of actual note position, so why not note off as well.

I dont know why the stuck notes happen, it seems to be very random and Im not going to spend my music making time testing and debugging software I pay for, nobody should. We have reported the bug, which is where the coders take over.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #40
bob_walker99

Default Still an issue in current Reaper

Hi,
I get this regularly when monitoring live, or recording not noticed it on playback.

I'm on a 2007 Intel x64 Mac Book Pro with OS X El Capitan 10.11.3, running Reaper 5.16, with a Yamaha P80 Keyboard sending MIDI via a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I'm using the Native Instruments Vintage Organs plugin, which is being hosted by the Reaper x64 host.

When I use the Kontakt Player (latest version 5.5.2) outside of Reaper, all is fine, but if I use the VST hosted by Reaper, I regularly get stuck notes. I haven't got 'quantize on record' set.

Are others still having this issue?
bob_walker99 is offline   Reply With Quote