Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
mbncp
Human being with feelings

Default Running 2 instances of Reaper using different settings

I would like to run 2 seperate Reaper process but using different settings (midi ports, audio outs, cpu usage,...).

Can this be done automaticcally so I don't have to make these changes each time by hand ?
mbncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

Not tried it but it is supposedly possible to install a new version into a different folder for testing without damaging the other's settings and allowing you to execute either one so perhaps it's possible to install the same version in the same way.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:55 AM   #3
mbncp

Well, I need both instances to run at the same time. I tried making a copy of the folder but I wasn't able to run a second instance this way. Only by using "Spawn new instance" does work, but then it always uses the same settings.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
Fabian

Maybe you did this already, but FWIW...

Try to:
1. Install Reaper in a dir of its own
2. Move all ini-files into this dir, now Reaper should load the ini's from there
3. Now install a new instance in another dir
4. Move all ini-files into this dir, now this instance of Reaper should load its ini-files from there.

I guess you will have problem running both simultaneously since they cannot share ASIO driver. At least for me, when Reaper is running, Mediaplayer cannot access my audio card even when all items are off-line. Maybe there's a setting...
Old 09-28-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
mbncp

Thanks, didn't think moving the ini files, will try that. Though I'm not sure Reaper will allow a second instance this way.

My asio card is multi-client, just have to set 2 differents (virtual) outputs.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:10 AM   #6
mbncp

Ok, works great, I just have to start the second instance using the /newinst command line.

Actually there is even a command line option that let's you select a different config file. But I think I will stick with 2 folders, so I can even give it a different look.

To those that, like me, didn't know about the command line options, just run a cmd window in reaper dir and type this: reaper /?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbncp View Post
Ok, works great, I just have to start the second instance using the /newinst command line.

Actually there is even a command line option that let's you select a different config file. But I think I will stick with 2 folders, so I can even give it a different look.

To those that, like me, didn't know about the command line options, just run a cmd window in reaper dir and type this: reaper /?
Hey if you are a Wintel box you can have two Desktop shortcuts with the different command line options in the "Target" line on the "Shortcut" tab of the shortcut.

Then you dont have to mess about with the command line for each instance.

Regards,
David
Old 09-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
mbncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon View Post
Hey if you are a Wintel box you can have two Desktop shortcuts with the different command line options in the "Target" line on the "Shortcut" tab of the shortcut.

Then you dont have to mess about with the command line for each instance.
Don't know what a Wintel box is (and google didn't help)

Actually I just have two shortcuts on my desktop that handle the command line and load the correct instance. I also renamed the second exe so it's easier to see which is which in task manager.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbncp View Post
Don't know what a Wintel box is (and google didn't help)

Actually I just have two shortcuts on my desktop that handle the command line and load the correct instance. I also renamed the second exe so it's easier to see which is which in task manager.
Wintel box:A machine running windows on a Intel x86 based processor...as opposed to OSX which may have the same functionality( but I dont know ) and the Linux/WINE users out there.

From your earlier posts you mentioned the command line execution. I see now you have indeed put each "instance" in separate shortcuts.

Cheers,
David
Old 09-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
mbncp

Ok got it thanks

Yeap, command line is fun, but only for a very short time.