Old 01-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
axeman
Human being with feelings

Default best way to upgrade USB install?

Hi again,

After purchasing my license a little while back, I decided to go ahead and do a USB install so that I could bring up my REAPER on other PCs I use. (This is a great feature, by the way!) While I've found it incredibly easy to upgrade REAPER on my PC, am wondering if there is a preferred methodology for upgrading the USB installation as well.

My gut feeling would be to try upgrading my primary PC and then running the USB installation process over again. But, even then, I'm not sure if I should be deleting any/all of the old files on the USB drive first or not.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Alan
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
axeman

Default bump

Hi again,

Thought I'd give this a bump to see if anyone might be able to help here.

Thanks a lot and take care,

Alan
Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
Bremen Cole

And I will bump again because I think it is an excellent question.

I would share your gut feeling, but perhaps there is a better way that one of the Reaper gurus will share with us...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
rrroscar

Just overwrote my flash install earlier today using. Went without a hitch as it should, cause all it really does is to take all the files in your C:\Program Files\Reaper\ dir and your %USER%\Application Data\ dir from your profile and dump all of it in the x:\Reaper\ dir on your flash drive x: . You can also do it by hand, which you will have to do anyway with your %VSTPLUGIN% folder.
rrroscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrroscar View Post
Just overwrote my flash install earlier today using. Went without a hitch as it should, cause all it really does is to take all the files in your C:\Program Files\Reaper\ dir and your %USER%\Application Data\ dir from your profile and dump all of it in the x:\Reaper\ dir on your flash drive x: . You can also do it by hand, which you will have to do anyway with your %VSTPLUGIN% folder.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. The only remaining question I have is whether it is OK to simply run the USB install operation and let it copy over existing files that are already on the USB drive or if there is any benefit in removing any/all the files/folders (from the USB drive) ahead of time. (My guess is that the process is similar to a REAPER PC install and that the overwrites should be OK, but am not sure. Also curious whether performing the "install to USB" operation with an older version present [on the USB] may send you into a series of "file exists/do you want to replace?" prompts.) Any additional thoughts/experience here? What did you actually do this time around?

Take care and thanks again for your input,

Alan
Old 01-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
wayne

Simply pointing the new installer at your USB drive and installing there will work fine. If you've got another installation on your hard drive, install to that location as well. I've done this for some time now and haven't had any problems.
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
Simply pointing the new installer at your USB drive and installing there will work fine. If you've got another installation on your hard drive, install to that location as well. I've done this for some time now and haven't had any problems.
Hi Wayne,

So you're suggesting downloading a new installer file and pointing the installation process to the "REAPER" directory on the USB drive (as well as running it a second time to update the version on your PC, if desired)? If so, that sounds pretty easy.

Take care and thanks very much for the tip,

Alan