Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
another_one_of_those_guys
Human being with feelings

Default A couple of questions (Turtorials & Etiquette)

I've looked around a little bit and decided I'd probably be better off just asking.
---------------
Question 1

Are there any FREE tutorials that I could download and watch away from the computer? I've been to several sites and haven't discovered what I'm looking for just yet, a few want me to purchase (decent prices I have to say) but currently I'm still saving for my license (yes, there are people in this world who have to scrimp, save, and donate blood for as little as $60 please don't turn this into a financial debate).

Also I'm not a very good student sitting at a computer. Yes I learn easily but only with a hands on type of approach. My learning style with, nearly everything not just software, is highly rooted in intuition. Up till now the only studio software to pose any sort of major learning curve has been FL Studio, and even then it wasn't too serious. However Reaper has a killer learning curve for me.

I'd have to say the reason for that is all a personal problem. It's a fucking awesome piece of software. I can't tell how many times I've said it's just like I'd imagined a DAW I built myself would be. And that's probably the biggest problem. It's everything I've always dreamed of! You know how it works...never happy when you get what you want? lol

That being the case I've given myself a personal goal. Defeat the learning curve and become proficient enough with the system that I can at the very least produce a simple song. In my former career on the high seas I had a rule, if I could bust up into a studio and guerrilla me up a tune it was worth looking. With Reaper, I refuse to let my personal short-comings get in the way of me enjoying something I've literally dreamed about.

Also, I'd really appreciate a 'comparison' based tutorial. Say maybe next to FL Studio, Studio One, or perhaps Orion Studio. I don't think there will be an Orion comparison if this type of tutorial is even available, so I'm not holding my breath, but will appreciate any help you can give me.
---------------
Question 2

Also I'm curious if there is a certain etiquette to the feature request section. Some posts are very well presented, almost professionally it seems, and others that are the equivalent of a post-it note stuck to someones cubical wall; and then there's the graffiti. So before continue to make a tool out of myself wasting my time, and Cockos' time, tagging up that section with suggestions that are very serious to me but don't really appear to be because I decided to just puke it up in a random thread; I was wondering if someone could school me on it.

I'm willing to take classes Monday's and Wednesdays until I can get enough moron out of my system to be taken seriously on my suggestions.

Thanks,
Josh
Pentium 4 DualCore (3.06GHz, 3.07GHz) - 3gb RAM, Win32 SP-3 - Lexicon Omega USB Audio Interface - Korg nanoKontrol2 - Alesis SR-16 - My own Gonzo Adrenaline - Don't Make Me Blog About It! (My product review blog)
another_one_of_those_guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
JonnyGinese

I think for Feature requests you should try to find if it already exists.. if you can't find it.. ask in General.. if it doesn't exist AND no one already has a feature request for it then Post something. Even if it is a Post-it style request some of those guys that do the Pro-looking requests might read it and re-post something with diagrams and stuff after a discussion happens about what you are really asking for.

As for trying to learn stuff hands on... E-mail me sometime...
JonnyGinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 AM   #3

will do...
Pentium 4 DualCore (3.06GHz, 3.07GHz) - 3gb RAM, Win32 SP-3 - Lexicon Omega USB Audio Interface - Korg nanoKontrol2 - Alesis SR-16 - My own Gonzo Adrenaline - Don't Make Me Blog About It! (My product review blog)
Old 12-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
camerondye

As far as free tutorials...go to youtube and search on Reaper DAW, there are some free video tutorials that are well done. Also, have you gone through the free manual...it's really well done.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
As far as free tutorials...go to youtube and search on Reaper DAW, there are some free video tutorials that are well done. Also, have you gone through the free manual...it's really well done.
Yes, I'm working my way through it little by little...