Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-24-2015, 03:44 AM   #1
echo58
Human being with feelings

Default vintage Guitar amp plugins

Hi all,
just starting out on home-recording so be gentle!
Has anyone got any advice regarding Amp sims?
Im trying to record 50s/60s feel guitar,and mostly what im finding
is metal amp plugins!

Cheers !
echo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:02 AM   #2
xpander

I'm certainly no expert on amp sims, still mostly real tubes here, but I'm sure more experienced sim users around here will help you out. At any rate, you should check out Scuffham Amps S-Gear.

Welcome to the forums echo58.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:12 AM   #3
echo58

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I'm certainly no expert on amp sims, still mostly real tubes here, but I'm sure more experienced sim users around here will help you out. At any rate, you should check out Scuffham Amps S-Gear.

Welcome to the forums echo58.
Thanks,will do.
yeah I have real tubes too,Fender HRD,tried micing up to it but cant crank it up to the "sweet spot" without distorting the recording!
might have to invest in a small tube amp just for studio work,
as im pretty sure amp sims wont get that "sound".
Old 01-24-2015, 04:16 AM   #4
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo58 View Post
Thanks,will do.
yeah I have real tubes too,Fender HRD,tried micing up to it but cant crank it up to the "sweet spot" without distorting the recording!
might have to invest in a small tube amp just for studio work,
as im pretty sure amp sims wont get that "sound".
What were you recording with?

Lots of people record stupid loud amps, shouldn't be a problem.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:17 AM   #5
g4greg

yeah.. A lot of people like S-gear..

I'm not especially fond of it.. But that's just me.

I use the vermillion from Kuassa. for dat slight tubey diry sound, that thing is fantastic!
Old 01-24-2015, 04:20 AM   #6
echo58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
What were you recording with?

Lots of people record stupid loud amps, shouldn't be a problem.
was using a Shure SM58.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
tomfrankly

amplitube has the best not-metal tones i've heard from a sim. you're right that a lot if not all of the free amp sim vsts are high gain amps. maybe that's because the commercial products tend to have really horrible high gain sims.
tomfrankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:32 AM   #8
Wolffman

Quote:
Thanks,will do.
You'll need to adjust the input gain of your mic pre-amp to compensate for the volume of the amp.

Quote:
im pretty sure amp sims wont get that "sound".
This has been my experience with amp sims.

Although i've heard some very convincing tracks done with amp sims, i just don't have the knack for it

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:36 AM   #9
alex1073

Try Flextron. It has its own cabs so you don't have to chase IR's. I'll link some later together with a loader. For $5 if yo buy an issue of Computer Music you'll get KuassaAmplifikationCM together with this bunch. Those are all cut down versions of commercial plugs. Very usefull. Again absolutely free Ace.

Finally, I'll recommend S-Gear. $99 and all your problems are gone. If you can't afford it atm, don't worry, I'm also not a fan of high gain tones and make really good tones with free stuff too (sometimes I don't feel like having the whole rack in front of me and instead of S-Gear I pick something else. But at least try S-Gear. There's two weeks of fully functional trial.

Also, go to DistorqueAudio and get your self guitar fx (don't miss that chorus - it's probably the best free one) and to the old TSE audio site to get yourself the 808 (but dl everything else, too - they have a new site where they sell (very good) plugs and nobody knoWs for how long the old one will be up.

Cheers,
Alex
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:07 AM   #10
echo58

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1073 View Post
Try Flextron. It has its own cabs so you don't have to chase IR's. I'll link some later together with a loader. For $5 if yo buy an issue of Computer Music you'll get KuassaAmplifikationCM together with this bunch. Those are all cut down versions of commercial plugs. Very usefull. Again absolutely free Ace.

Finally, I'll recommend S-Gear. $99 and all your problems are gone. If you can't afford it atm, don't worry, I'm also not a fan of high gain tones and make really good tones with free stuff too (sometimes I don't feel like having the whole rack in front of me and instead of S-Gear I pick something else. But at least try S-Gear. There's two weeks of fully functional trial.

Also, go to DistorqueAudio and get your self guitar fx (don't miss that chorus - it's probably the best free one) and to the old TSE audio site to get yourself the 808 (but dl everything else, too - they have a new site where they sell (very good) plugs and nobody knoWs for how long the old one will be up.

Cheers,
Alex
Thank you,will check them out asap.
Regards Dean
Old 01-24-2015, 05:12 AM   #11
Judders

Quote:
was using a Shure SM58.
What audio interface?

As wolffman said, turning down the preamp gain should solve your problems.

For amp sims, I tend to use Amplitube head sims with RedWirez cab impulse responses.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
bluzkat

The Amplitube Fender package has some of the better sounding Fender sims. Not free, but goes on sale pretty regular.

Enjoy.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #13
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
The Amplitube Fender package has some of the better sounding Fender sims. Not free, but goes on sale pretty regular.

Enjoy.

I own Amplitube Fender, but I don't use it anymore because when I tried to install it on a new computer it seemed that you now have to access the amps through the Custom Shop and I couldn't figure out how to make it display only the equipment that I "owned." I avoid all IK-multimedia stuff for that reason. Their email support was terrible. The guy who responded kept forgetting what I was asking about and wrote in incomprehensible sentence fragments. I finally just deleted everything and gave up. The "Custom Shop" just bombards you with "Buy this!" images. It looks like a pachinko parlor.

I love S-Gear. I also have Guitar Rig 4, but to my ears S-Gear sounds more real.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #14
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
yeah.. A lot of people like S-gear..

I'm not especially fond of it.. But that's just me.

I use the vermillion from Kuassa. for dat slight tubey diry sound, that thing is fantastic!
Vermilion is quite good for clean and grungey Fender and Valco/supro amp sounds. I really like the way the do their mic postioning too.

IMO S-gear has better feel and tone than any other software modeler when it comes to clean and mid gain tones. The BF fender, tweed fender and especially marshall amp sims are fantastic.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #15
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I own Amplitube Fender, but I don't use it anymore because when I tried to install it on a new computer it seemed that you now have to access the amps through the Custom Shop and I couldn't figure out how to make it display only the equipment that I "owned."
From the 'Gear' menu in Custom Shop... click Restore my Gear.

Hopefully you can reclaim your Fender sims, they're worth the hassle.

Enjoy.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #16
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
From the 'Gear' menu in Custom Shop... click Restore my Gear.

Hopefully you can reclaim your Fender sims, they're worth the hassle.

Enjoy.

As I remember, I tried that several times to no avail. S-Gear sounds so good and is so simple to use that I decided it wasn't worth it to fool with IK-multimedia stuff anymore. The Custom Shop plugin is designed to keep selling you little pieces of gear. It is one of the most annoying pieces of software I have ever seen.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #17
Giano
Banned

If you like to create your own presets, Recabinet is one of the best plugins with unique playability and most authentic response (unique realistic picking attack response!) - a friend of mine has S-Gear package for recabinet and the S-Gear presets sound superb with Recabinet and recabinet is the best bass amp im plugin Iknow, but you have to create and save your own presets, because there are not many (suitable) factory presets.
S-Gear (with lots of "Mainstream" presets and with cab sims) is nice and there are many free amp sims, but do not forget to have a cab sim after the amp sim - recabinet is maybe best cab sim plugin !
The worst guitar plugin is NI´s Guitar Rig, IMHO.
There are many plugins for you to check ;-)

Last edited by Giano; 01-24-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #18
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
If you like to create your own presets, Recabinet is one of the best plugins with unique playability and most authentic response - a friend of mine has S-Gear package for recabinet and the S-Gear presets sound superb with Recabinet and recabinet is the best bass amp im plugin Iknow, but you have to create and save your own presets, because there are not many (suitable) factory presets.
S-Gear (with lots of "Mainstream" presets) is nice and there are many free amp sims, but do not forget to have a cab sim after the amp sim - recabinet is maybe best cab sim plugin !
The worst guitar plugin is NI´s Guitar Rig, IMHO.
There are many plugins for you to check ;-)
S-Gear has cabinet IRs built-in. You can turn them off and use a cab simulator after it, but you don't need to.

I wish S-Gear had a tuner, just for convenience, but rumor has it that this is coming.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #19
DerMetzgermeister

http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=var

The Vintage Amp Room is the best amp sim for that kind of sound that I tried.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #20
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMetzgermeister View Post
http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=var

The Vintage Amp Room is the best amp sim for that kind of sound that I tried.
iLok and heavier on CPU than most other plugins that have been mentioned.

If you are ok with iLok and if your processor is ok with the plugin, then maybe this plugin could be satisfactory

I had big issues with the demo
Old 01-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #21
cerendir

S-Gear gets my vote too. I don't use low gain amps enough to really motivate the purchase ATM, but I will probably get it at some point. I have the demo installed and it's very impressive. I haven't found anything in the free realm that sounds and behaves like it does.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #22
The Telenator
Banned

Almost all the great commercial ones have been mentioned already, maybe with the exception of Overloud's TH2, which is yet another collection of good amps and sounds.

Since you mentioned 'vintage' in your post, and I'm guessing you are interested in free ones as well, if you like the genuine tweed sounds of the late '50s, then Shattered Glass Audio has a nice tweed combo that came out very recently that it calls the 'ACE'.

Here is the link: http://www.shatteredglassaudio.com/product.php?id=103
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #23
solaris1982

One other commercial one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Bias by PositiveGrid. I use it regularly, and it's great. I made my own (slightly) customized version of a Matchless DC30. The only department I find it lacking in is cabinets. There are only 2 mic choices for each cabinet (SM-57 and C-414). Luckily, I have plenty of other cabsim options (Recabinet 3/other custom IR's). Check out the Bias demo.

http://www.positivegrid.com/bias-desktop/
solaris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #24
edkilp

If you can still find ACME BarGig's SHRED 1.06, it has some really sweet Fenderish, SRVish, neck pickupish presets, along with some Texas blues tones,too and of course you can dial in just about any tone you want with all the heads it comes with. It's free, but really hard to find now (unless you know the right folks!) I like it way way better then HeadCase, which is their new baby now.

I just ran across this today. Check out the videos. For 36 bucks, might not be too bad.

http://aegeanmusic.com/
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #25
bluzkat

Another commercial amp sim I don't think was mentioned yet (we might as well get 'em all! ) Revalver 4, see here:

http://peavey.com/products/revalver/.

There are some decent sounds with a little work. Highly tweakable.

Enjoy.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #26
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
S-Gear gets my vote too. I don't use low gain amps enough to really motivate the purchase ATM, but I will probably get it at some point. I have the demo installed and it's very impressive. I haven't found anything in the free realm that sounds and behaves like it does.
Agree, I bought S-Gear yesterday, was jamming out and even the missus friend who could hear it on the other end of the phone said it sounds good, I was surprised that there are some nice metally sounds as well. Bought well, its damn good.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #27
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
If you can still find ACME BarGig's SHRED 1.06, it has some really sweet Fenderish, SRVish, neck pickupish presets, along with some Texas blues tones,too and of course you can dial in just about any tone you want with all the heads it comes with. It's free, but really hard to find now (unless you know the right folks!) I like it way way better then HeadCase, which is their new baby now.
I got it stored somewhere but could never run it, crashed after a few seconds, anyone here know of such an issue with it? -I was trying to run it on XP. Im sure I would have dl'd it again in case it was corrupt file, so...???
(It did the same thing on two different DAWS)

Last edited by morgon; 01-24-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #28
edkilp

I don't have any clues as to what your issue may have been. In this case I'm gonna have to be the guy who says 'I never had any problems with it'. I like it a lot. Have you tried Head Case? If you get ahold of the full version, you'll be a head case by the time you figure it out. I can't get into any amp software that's more complicated than it has to be. Shred is awesome, but I think they went a bit overboard with Head Case.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #29
morgon

Quote:
I don't have any clues as to what your issue may have been. In this case I'm gonna have to be the guy who says 'I never had any problems with it'. I like it a lot. Have you tried Head Case? If you get ahold of the full version, you'll be a head case by the time you figure it out. I can't get into any amp software that's more complicated than it has to be. Shred is awesome, but I think they went a bit overboard with Head Case.
Maybe I wasn't running enough RAM at the time as it did the same on two different DAWS, and I was running an older machine, seems a likely explanation given others are running it ok. Ok think I will find it and give it a try, I seem to remember it has a really nice GUI as well.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #30
morgon

Highly recommend Shred 1.06 also Runs fine, [was user hardware error] no issues whatsoever, a really good assortment of sounds.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #31
Fergler

For dirtying up your amp sim I suggest Phi-L audio tube pre-amp
It's free. I recommend turning the UI off to adjust the settings, which will tell you more about each control and bypass the slow turning knobs.

You can also buy Softube Vintage amp room for a quick fix.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #32
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Highly recommend Shred 1.06 also Runs fine, [was user hardware error] no issues whatsoever, a really good assortment of sounds.
Sweet, glad you got it working.....I've always liked Shred. Did anybody check out the AegeanMusic Amp Vision?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #33
edkilp

Here's a link to several more pretty decent amps.
https://pvdhp7.wordpress.com/
Old 01-25-2015, 03:09 AM   #34
Gazebo

Here's a suggestion that might not be the most authentic, but I really like playing - Amplion Free.

You will need to play around with it to get the setting you want, but I find it pretty rewarding, even for just practicing through.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #35
ginormous

This is one of the good ones, for clean and distortion tones.
Cab and amp sims, rack and pedal FX.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention... freeware. (Windows 32-bit)

Fretted Synth Audio FreeAmp 3 Full

Last edited by ginormous; 01-25-2015 at 07:28 AM.
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #36
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Here's a link to several more pretty decent amps.
https://pvdhp7.wordpress.com/
UNBELIEVABLE those russian guys ! Marshall amp sim is awesome ! Added cab from recabinet and some fx - wow !

Marshall amp demo:

https://soundcloud.com/giano-riff/ma...-preamp-plugin

Last edited by Giano; 01-25-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #37
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
UNBELIEVABLE those russian guys ! Marshall amp sim is awesome ! Added cab from recabinet and some fx - wow !
Yep, I thought that was a pretty good find! Sounds gritty, very cool!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #38
Stringer

Default Fake Engine Sounds

This is strangely relevant. Because modern engines are so quiet, many cars and trucks now come with simulated engine roar:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...=nl_mwk&wpmm=1

It started because the Prius was too quiet for blind people to hear. But now in muscle cars, trucks, and sports cars, the designers pipe simulated engine noise through the speakers. This is pretty analogous to amp sims. The new tech doesn't sound like the old tech so it doesn't sound real. Simulating old tech is the solution. I wonder how long it will take us to actually get used to the new tech?
Old 01-26-2015, 04:21 AM   #39
Halma

May I suggest another free one? Epicenter

It has been coded for the KVRDC14 (so we only had a few months for R&D and a pretty strict deadline). And because the official KVRDC14 version "suffers" from some minor design flaws that we are not allowed to change in this version/edition/release (according to the challenge rules) I highly recommend to wait for the "Epicenter Supershear Edition" Andrew is currently working on.

Epicenter Supershear Edition will be freeware as well but with a better GUI and all that ish., 32bit only atm but code already is 64bit compatible so it is just a matter of time when it will be released as a 64bit plug in too. Based on Synthedit but everything is custom coded in c++ and uses SSE2 plus oversampling (but we are discussing the OS factor and slopes right now).

It has ZERO LATENCY (one of Andrews goals) and should be suited towards live playing and comes with a Tilt EQ and a DRY/WET mix knob.

Lot´s of stompbox stuff inside mostly inspired by some hardware/schemes/own ideas.

Epicenter can go from subtle distortion (eg. P-Blue or P-Driver) to badass metal stuff (eg Residue), we have some funky stuff like a Wah or Bitremolo, a Barberpole Phaser, a fast Compressor, some nifty Pan stuff etc.

All Filters are topology preserving (aka zero delay feedback) and have been coded from scratch and musically tuned to taste.

Btw I am not a guitar player but I use it on different material (which sometimes works and sometimes not). I think about it more like an Tilt EQ which can do some funky stuff incl parallel processing.

If I find some time I will post some examples later.

Cheers
Sebastian
Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 AM   #40
VinodXAgent

Default RocknRoll,Doowop,50s 60s rocknroll surf

Quote:
Hi all,
just starting out on home-recording so be gentle!
Has anyone got any advice regarding Amp sims?
Im trying to record 50s/60s feel guitar,and mostly what im finding
is metal amp plugins!

Cheers !
Hi Echo58
Now you got information overload, i suppose. Lot of sims to try. If you find time to play the guitar try the reaper JS plugins. For the style of music you mentioned in your profile try this: JS:Guitar/Amp-model. Try the Fenderbassman /Tweed Champ.
Then maybe the JS:Guitar/tremolo and after that ReaDelay with a nice slap.
Greetings from Hamburg
Vinod
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote