Old 09-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
anthraxsnax
Human being with feelings

Default using program change for different vsti's?

hello, I'm mostly just like to compose on the fly... so tbh most of the time I compose everything in guitarpro(weird, I know) and one thing that would REALLY speed up the process of getting projects up and running with 10x less clutter is if I could simply have every GM midi instrument mapped out with VST tracks in a folder - then use the folder track and have patch changes assigned to the neatly tucked away vsti's... I understand I could try to ghetto rig it to use midi channels instead, but I use more than 16 different instruments... and I'd like to just get everything setup so that if I'm feeling inspired I can just swap channels on the fly... more importantly - Instead of having 50+ tracks all EQ'd and reverbed - I'd rather just apply all my side chains + reverb to the one track and only spot FX the instruments that need it...

one of the primary reasons I want to do this is so that I can simply have 2 midi channels(two keyboardists) and not have to bounce back and forth between instruments and automate panning, or have 2 of every instrument track just incase both keyboardists use that instrument at one point or another throughout the album...

so ideally - I'd have it set up like this....

\keyboard bus
--\midi input channel 1(panned 30% L)
--\midi input channel 2(panned 30% R)
--\midi input Omni(so I can route midi from other programs/files)
------\001 piano vst
------\003 honkey tonk vst
------\019 church organ
------\...
------\...
------\ect...

and on midi input 1 I would just have a patch change to bank 1-127, and if I wanted to add a midi file from another source I could just throw it in the Omni channel, or I could just run a midi cable between my midi in/out on my interface so I can just select my midi out in another program and it'll play through those VST's while I'm composing

if there are any options OTHER than midi channel that would allow me to do this - let me know...

ALSO - are there any midi plugins that change the midi note's pan based on it's pitch? some VST's I use have it but It would be very cool to apply it to everything(starting with c0/D4/whatever being center and moving left or right depending on the settings)

would be cool!
anthraxsnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
anthraxsnax

ohh wow

so I swear I've poked around this program a lot and I JUST noticed the "reacontrolMIDI" fx... Is this something that is newer? I just switched from a decently old version of reaper(like 4.26 or 3.something, can't remember, but I had to update to use SWS extensions)

so all I have to do I think is set this up with that FX before a VST in the folder and then it would work... I'm going to test it right now!

ohh dear god... I have a lot of EWQL stuff, sampletank 3 + miroslav - as well as LA scoring strings... I plan on pre-ordering KOMPLETE ultimate 10 when I finish selling/saving/going into debt for that stupid TD-30kv

I might have just pee'd a little if this works... I'm going to be spending 9087298723 hours tweaking every possible instrument I would use...

I might have to redo the entire album's keys in this format - since it would ALSO make exporting to another program to fix it up for a printable score 1000x easier.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
anthraxsnax

tried it... and idk what I'm doing wrong - but no dice... maybe someone else has experiemented with it?