Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 04-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #201
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadd23 View Post
Thank you. Works beautiful!!
I'm glad you like it! Do post a snippet of music if you end up using it on something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
How hard would it be to create a version that accepts MIDI input? I have a decent background in computer programming and wouldn't mind taking a stab at it by amalgamating parts of your code with some other MIDI based JS plugs!
Not very hard but it takes some time (at least for me it does : ). You'd need to buffer the incoming midi in @block and then decide how to translate midi to velocity (linear, logarithmic...) but after that it should be pretty straight forward.

Do give it ago if you have the time, I know others who would like that kind of funcionality. I'll help as much as I can and have the time.

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 04-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #202
Colin_D

Jonas-
Thank you! I think this is a great plugin! I have one question. Is there any way to specify the folder where the plug looks for the sample files? I don't mind storing them in the Reaper folder, but I'd like to keep them on a separate HD from the OS. I'm pretty new to JS, so maybe the answer is an obvious "no" to some people, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, what is the current build as of 4/9/2010? (today)

Thanks!
Colin_D
Colin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #203
AdamWathan

Jonas, check this out... I did a shootout between apTrigga, DrumReaplacer and the new Slate Digital Trigger which is supposed to be amazing...

Trigger was the worst and was out of phase on a bunch of hits overall, you can see the second hit here it badly out. apTrigga faired quite well, but DrumReaplacer was the most accurate by far. Do you accept donations? You saved me $150.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #204
Kundalinguist

See, this is one of the things I like about Reaper - it brings out the best in people in a way that can be shared with others. Jonas and his DrumReaplacer are on the wall of Reaper heroes.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #205
strunkdts

as an apTrigga overuser serialabuser and devotee, DrumReaplacer looks to be simply awesome. Very impressive. Must get around to trying it now. Cheers.
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #206
Fragile

Quote:
Trigger was the worst and was out of phase on a bunch of hits overall, you can see the second hit here it badly out. apTrigga faired quite well, but DrumReaplacer was the most accurate by far. Do you accept donations? You saved me $150.
Hey Adam,

I just downloaded your track and tested it on my system. I tried it with TRIGGER demo 1.1

It triggers your track perfectly and phase accurate (and much beter than any other drum replacers I tried). I'm sure you just tried trigger your drums with incorrect TRIGGER settings, or maybe previous demo had some bugs (I did not tried it).

This is the way to trigger your track:
- press F2 on track (I'm on Windows) to open Media Item Properties and press normalize button. It'll add 4.91 dB to your track
- TRIGGER settings: Input +6, Sens 50, Retrig 24, Detail 0.18
- TRIGGER instruments: Snare 21 Z1 (+3 dB, dynamics 0.80, velocity 0.5) and Snare 21 SSDR (-12 dB, dynamics 1.00, velocity 0.5)

As you can see on screenshot, I got good phase accurate result on complex fill in your track.

On zoomed screenshot you can see how accurate TRIGGER. I intentionally saved timeline, so you can see that I did not shift tracks. I just put your track and put TRIGGER render.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trigger.jpg (95.7 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg Trigger_zoomed.jpg (52.6 KB, 409 views)

Last edited by Fragile; 04-13-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Fragile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #207
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
Hey Adam,

I just downloaded your track and tested it on my system. I tried it with TRIGGER demo 1.1

It triggers your track perfectly and phase accurate (and much beter than any other drum replacers I tried). I'm sure you just tried trigger your drums with incorrect TRIGGER settings, or maybe previous demo had some bugs (I did not tried it).

This is the way to trigger your track:
- press F2 on track (I'm on Windows) to open Media Item Properties and press normalize button. It'll add 4.91 dB to your track
- TRIGGER settings: Input +6, Sens 50, Retrig 24, Detail 0.18
- TRIGGER instruments: Snare 21 Z1 (+3 dB, dynamics 0.80, velocity 0.5) and Snare 21 SSDR (-12 dB, dynamics 1.00, velocity 0.5)

As you can see on screenshot, I got good phase accurate result on complex fill in your track.

On zoomed screenshot you can see how accurate TRIGGER. I intentionally saved timeline, so you can see that I did not shift tracks. I just put your track and put TRIGGER render.
Hey thanks for the info and settings, looks like that rendered quite well! I will keep demoing it and keep trying, I am 95% sure I'm going to be purchasing it anyways, if only to have something good to use in my other hosts.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #208
AdamWathan

Just tried your settings, they trigger the leak from the toms at about 2:19, and there's some hits where they double trigger earlier in the song on hard hits because the Retrigger setting is too low. It seems to be more accurate as far as lining up the samples though. I adjusted your settings (just raised the detail a tiny bit and increased the retrigger a tiny bit) to get rid of the double hits and misfiring, but now I am getting hits in the rolls that are out of sync again :/

Probably still going to buy it, I'm sure I will be able to get it working well eventually.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #209
Fragile

Quote:
I adjusted your settings (just raised the detail a tiny bit and increased the retrigger a tiny bit) to get rid of the double hits and misfiring, but now I am getting hits in the rolls that are out of sync again :/
Hmm... I don't remember any mistriggers on my settings. Maybe only one or two triggered bleeds from toms. I think you got rolls out-of-sync because you raised Detail. In this case about 40% of transients of rolls hits located under Detail line, so Trigger may trigger them with a bit of latency. Your tracking is very strange, it sounds like drummer is a girl, ))) so it'll be great to use Leakage Suppression on such tracks, because with Suppression you can put your Detail knob down to 0.2 and with this Detail settings you'll get perfect accuracy for rolls and ghost notes.

Personally I love Trigger because it very accurate. It can trigger very quiet samples with a 10-20 samples latency (just because of Detail settings), but it always phase accurate on hard and medium hits, and with Leakage Suppression it's accurate always on any hits.

Actually, I think we should not have to flood this thread with posts like these. I just posted my thoughts, because I think it's a bit incorrect to compare different class products.

DrumReaplacer is a definitely greatest free drum replacement tool, but Trigger it's just a different class product, which probably will not be released this Spring or even year )))
Fragile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #210
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

He all,

Replying late as always but... better late than never. (Refferring only to forum posting, not drum replacing : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_D View Post
Jonas-
Thank you! I think this is a great plugin! I have one question. Is there any way to specify the folder where the plug looks for the sample files? I don't mind storing them in the Reaper folder, but I'd like to keep them on a separate HD from the OS. I'm pretty new to JS, so maybe the answer is an obvious "no" to some people, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Unfortunatley not, that's a built in limitation of JS. However, do support this awfully old FR and maybe it'll happen in the future: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=198395 And thank you for your kind words about DrumReaplacer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_D View Post
Also, what is the current build as of 4/9/2010? (today)
It's 1.095 and avaliable here as a sneak preview http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=168

Quote:
Jonas, check this out... I did a shootout between apTrigga, DrumReaplacer and the new Slate Digital Trigger which is supposed to be amazing...

That's cool! DrumReaplacer aligns transients to transients so it should be quite accurate, didn't know it was that accurate. (It also reminds me of an old "phase match"-feature I'll implement in DrumReaplacer on of these days.)

I do accept donations and they are most welcome, I'm leaving the job I've had for the last ten years to study to become a doctor this fall. I'm thrilled about studying, not as thrilled about living off studen loans http://nejnas.se/audio/jsfx/DrumReaplacer_donate.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
See, this is one of the things I like about Reaper - it brings out the best in people in a way that can be shared with others. Jonas and his DrumReaplacer are on the wall of Reaper heroes.
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it. Coding isn't always fun, but comments like this makes it worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strunkdts View Post
as an apTrigga overuser serialabuser and devotee, DrumReaplacer looks to be simply awesome. Very impressive. Must get around to trying it now. Cheers.
Thank you, do give it a go!

And finally a few words on the further developement of DrumReaplacer. I haven't updated it for a long time, the reason is simply that I haven't had any (time). While it works great in most cases there are a few things I'd like to refine and add to it (better SRC, fine tune the new solidify-feature, phase match, graphical feedback...) However I can't promise when this'll happen - I'm a (sort of) single father and between work, training and actually doing some music there isn't much time left for coding. One of these days though... : )

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 05-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #211
fly

what do I have to do to replace one sound and keep all the others ?

All I can do is either hear only one sound by setting the original to 0% or hear everything .
fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #212
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly View Post
what do I have to do to replace one sound and keep all the others ?

All I can do is either hear only one sound by setting the original to 0% or hear everything .
If I understand you correctly you want to replace the hard hits but in between those you want to hear the original sound, right? That's whats called stealth mode in Drumagog, a feature which isn't (yet) implemented in DrumReaplacer.

However, you can easily get that effect using for example ReaComp and set the output of DrumReaplacer as sidechain input (so that it ducks the original sound whenever DrumReaplcer outputs a hit) . Let me know if you need any help setting that up!

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #213
fly

oh that's all right. I don't need this for now. I'm just having trouble understanding what each plug-in does. There are are so many and I want to know everything!

Perhaps the feature will be implemented by the time I need it, hehe

thanks anyways
fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #214
Winfield

Hi

I'm having some problems with drumreaplacer... It takes a long time to load -like 8 minutes for the pipe24snare, on a dualcore pc (xp). Also there is some stability issues, sometimes it just plain hangs when loading the samples. For me there seem to be a workaround where I can bypass the reaplacer-effect in reaper when choosing the sample. But when I'm opening the project again it takes a long time to load -or just hangs...

Is there some setting in reapers prefs that could be changed to remedy these problems.

Thank you
-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:52 AM   #215
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
Hi

I'm having some problems with drumreaplacer... It takes a long time to load -like 8 minutes for the pipe24snare, on a dualcore pc (xp). Also there is some stability issues, sometimes it just plain hangs when loading the samples. For me there seem to be a workaround where I can bypass the reaplacer-effect in reaper when choosing the sample. But when I'm opening the project again it takes a long time to load -or just hangs...

Is there some setting in reapers prefs that could be changed to remedy these problems.

Thank you
-W
It shouldn't take that long at all. On my old computer (Pentium M 1.6 ghz) it took at most 10 seconds to load a big sample and on my new MacBook Pro it's instantaneous.

Could you post the sample you are loading?

- Jonas
Old 05-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #216
Winfield

Hi Jonas
It's the pipeline snare sample you provided in your testkit from your sig.

Is there a more resent build or anything?

-W
Old 05-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #217
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

There is one here http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=168 but I don't think it will remedy your problem - that version adds some functionality but none that's related to sample loading.

Did you actually mean that it takes 8 *minutes* to load that sample? Not seconds?

And what samplerate are you running your project at?

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 05-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #218
Winfield

Yes it took that long on one occasion, others closer to 5 minutes -so actually I'm not ruling out that it never *really* hangs, but that my impatience just forces me to kill reaper in task manager

I will get back to you later this week when I've been to the 'studio' pc and checked with the latest version.

Thanks
-W
Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #219
yhcmarc

Hi there,

I've been trying to install this plug into my reaper, 3.52, but it isn't showing up in my plugin list.

I've copied the files like it's said in the readme, hell I even made three copies into the data installdata/data and installdata/user_data & effects folders, but it simply will not show up in the JS fx list.

Am I missing something here? Thanx.
yhcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #220
Greg_L

I installed this about a year ago, but never got it to work properly, so I abandoned it.

Fired it up again today, and it still doesn't work properly. I made a some quick and dirty "samples" just to give it another shot, and the reaplacer thing won't recognize them - even though they're in the same folder as the few sample wavs it does recognize. Retarded.

Why does it see some samples, but not others?
Greg_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #221
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhcmarc View Post
Hi there,

I've been trying to install this plug into my reaper, 3.52, but it isn't showing up in my plugin list.

I've copied the files like it's said in the readme, hell I even made three copies into the data installdata/data and installdata/user_data & effects folders, but it simply will not show up in the JS fx list.

Am I missing something here? Thanx.
Hmm, that's weird. I haven't used it on Windows in a while but I know that Reaper's install paths have changed recently. I'll take a look at it as soon as I find the time.

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #222
Kundalinguist

I'm guessing it's probably the paths.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #223
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
I installed this about a year ago, but never got it to work properly, so I abandoned it.

Fired it up again today, and it still doesn't work properly. I made a some quick and dirty "samples" just to give it another shot, and the reaplacer thing won't recognize them - even though they're in the same folder as the few sample wavs it does recognize.
Are you sure it is in the same folder? I'm asking becaues Reaper's install paths have changed (see above post) and it could be that you are having multiple copies of the ones recognized by DrumReaplacer.

Just to make sure: try moving one of the ones that does work and see if it disappears from DrumReaplacer. If that's not the problem it's probably related to Yhcmarc's problems which I'll look into shortly.

Quote:
Retarded.
At first I thought this was about DrumReaplacer, but then I thought: he wouldn't write that to someone who developes a plug in in his spare time and releases it for free (source code and all). I mean that would be rude.

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 06-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #224
yhcmarc

Quote:

Fired it up again today, and it still doesn't work properly. I made a some quick and dirty "samples" just to give it another shot, and the reaplacer thing won't recognize them - even though they're in the same folder as the few sample wavs it does recognize. Retarded.

Why does it see some samples, but not others?
I already found out. I placed the files in the install folder, but they should have been placed in the "documents and settings/{user}/application data/reaper" folder.

About not recognizing samples, I had the same thing, it turned out the unrecognized samples were 32bit floating point. I converted them to 24 bit and the plug worked fine.

It looks pretty promising, still need to figure out the solidify function a bit. Even on a 1 hit sample I get a lot of dynamics which I don't want in certain situations.
yhcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #225
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post
At first I thought this was about DrumReaplacer, but then I thought: he wouldn't write that to someone who developes a plug in in his spare time and releases it for free (source code and all). I mean that would be rude.

Regards,
- Jonas
I think, personally, that he meant to say "confusing" or "illogical" which came out "retarded" in his way of speaking. Otherwise, it would be retarded of him to say such a thing.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #226
ez_willis

Quote:
Are you sure it is in the same folder?
Quote:
the reaplacer thing won't recognize them - even though they're in the same folder as the few sample wavs it does recognize.
Quote:
I made a some quick and dirty "samples"
my guess is he didn't expand the view far enough out and split it immediately before and after the hit. the sample is cutting off before the actual attack of the hit.
ez_willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #227
Greg_L

I've got more than enough digital silence between "hits", the wav is 24-bit, and they're all in the correct folder. No workie. Oh well. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but I don't care anymore.
Greg_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #228
Lokasenna

Upload the file you made, and I'll see if I can make it work.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:06 AM   #229
Winfield

Quote:
There is one here http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=168 but I don't think it will remedy your problem - that version adds some functionality but none that's related to sample loading.

Did you actually mean that it takes 8 *minutes* to load that sample? Not seconds?

And what samplerate are you running your project at?

Regards,
- Jonas
Sorry for my late reply...

The samplerate for my projects is 44100 hz 32 bit.

The load time is around 6 minutes for the 9-samples pipelinesnare and around double that time for the 24 sample snare supplied in your test kit. When I have selected the sample in drumreaplacer reaper goes in 'hourglass mode' and task manager reports cpu use around 15-20%.

When the sample have loaded it appears to be working fine thou -but rather annoying to wait that long when auditioning samples

I'm running it on a intel duo with a couple af gigs and xp sp3. This also happens with the 'a' version of DRP.

-W
Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #230
frog_jr

Hey Erik, just wanted to mention this thing is really fun! Haven't done anything but fool around with it using 16 bit sample files in the sample project. So far it's great! I'll keep playing with it. Request: please provide a "load sample file" option in the UI for DrumReaplacer. Right now I just have to create a file and move it into the sample folder and then restart the plugin. Not a big deal but it would be nice.

Cheers, frog
frog_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:16 AM   #231
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog_jr View Post
please provide a "load sample file" option in the UI for DrumReaplacer. Right now I just have to create a file and move it into the sample folder and then restart the plugin.
This is a limitation of the language DrumReaplacer is written in (JS). Nothing to be done about it, currently.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #232
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog_jr View Post
Request: please provide a "load sample file" option in the UI for DrumReaplacer. Right now I just have to create a file and move it into the sample folder and then restart the plugin. Not a big deal but it would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
This is a limitation of the language DrumReaplacer is written in (JS). Nothing to be done about it, currently.
Unfortunatley Lokasenna is quite right, it cannot be done in JS at the moment, I made Feature Request for that functionality ages ago but it hasn't got that much attention. Do support the FR if you'd like that functionality in DrumReaplacer: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22568

For now you can crreate a shortcut in the Media Explorer to the DrumReaplacer-folder so you at least can find it quickly

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 07-07-2010, 04:23 AM   #233
EvilDragon

Jonas, open the FR in the [url=http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?projectid=2]Tracker[/quote], and then we can vote propertly, and with that get some attention from the devs.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #234
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

OK, I posted it in the issue tracker here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2707 (the reason I haven't before is that I never really looked at the tracker before : )

However, I've never posted there before so let me know if I should change anything. So what are you waiting for - go vote

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #235
frog_jr

Quote:
Unfortunatley Lokasenna is quite right, it cannot be done in JS at the moment...For now you can crreate a shortcut in the Media Explorer to the DrumReaplacer-folder so you at least can find it quickly

Regards,
- Jonas
Yeah well the plugin is awesome nonetheless. Lots of fun!
frog_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #236
Kundalinguist

No one ever got around to making a GUI for it though, eh? [sorry, Canadianism coming through]
Old 07-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #237
Jeronimo

Guys,
Is the Drum Replacer supposed to work on a mac?
Jeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #238
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
Guys,
Is the Drum Replacer supposed to work on a mac?
That's where I used it. Now go forth and multiply, er...replace.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #239
Jeronimo

I followed the instructions on the zip file but could't make it show up on the plugins list.
Jeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #240
Kundalinguist

Just tried it again in Leopard, PPC, in Reaper 3.64 pre10. Works fine, shows up.

Go to "options" menu and go to REAPER resource path.
Check "Data" folder for DrumReaplacer folder WITH demo samples in it.

Check Effects folder for "Jonas" folder and drumreaplacer in that.

If it doesn't work for you this way, you have offended God.

But seriously, it works for me. But if you're Intel or something on SL, maybe things are different.

Good luck.