Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #361
IXix
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang View Post
have the recent power-user bits made the simple things more complex?
Nah, it's pretty intuitive I think.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #362
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Yes, it's a tweak-to-learn machine anyway

(But a PDF manual could indeed make things easier, or, at least, help users to get into "a deeper level of total knowledge" )

I have tried to open the manual.txt file, but it was a messy block of text in NotePad : is it supposed to be opened in a specific program ?
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #363
DarkStar

^^^^
I get that too - copy it all and paste it into Wordpad.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #364
sinkmusic

Thanks, Darkstar !
Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #365
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Yes, it's a tweak-to-learn machine anyway
that's the arp!0 spirit! :^)
Quote:
(But a PDF manual could indeed make things easier, or, at least, help users to get into "a deeper level of total knowledge" )
"pdf manual" as in "quickref in pdf format"? or as in "with pictures and more in depth explainations"? i think if i go more in depth i'll try the screencast route first. clear words, even w/ pix, are hard to do well. i think the additional sonic & live action dimensions of a screencast would communicate more w/ less. dunno though. haven't ever done any of those. has anyone else? any good mac tools for this?
Quote:
I have tried to open the manual.txt file, but it was a messy block of text in NotePad : is it supposed to be opened in a specific program ?
windows notepad doesn't understand unix eols i guess. who knew? :^) just did a silent update of v0.80beta w/ win-friendly eols.

enjoy! /dan
bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #366
sinkmusic

PDF as in "i can add it to my Reaper help folder and i will have a quick access to it"
It is just a way to be able to read the same thing as the .txt document, but with titles written bigger and important stuff in bold.

(Just my 2 cents, and not to complain at all, but in a general way, I am really against any kind of video tutorial, as my internet conneciton is crap and english is not my native language -reading it is ok, but listening to it not so good-. PDF is always quicker to download, i can print it if i need, and it is natvely listed in reaper's documentation folder. Sorry for kinda nitpicking, that's not the intention !)

... And, as you said, "tweak and learn" is ok too (PDF can be great when you wish for a more in-depth, rational way of doing)
Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #367
bang

Quote:
PDF as in "i can add it to my Reaper help folder and i will have a quick access to it"
It is just a way to be able to read the same thing as the .txt document, but with titles written bigger and important stuff in bold.
that's doable. and it makes sense. and if i'm reformatting for pdf, tossing in some quick bits of screencap for visual context makes sense too. rsn. right after adding optional control 3/4 and reworking the tick preset logic. :^)
Quote:
(Just my 2 cents, and not to complain at all, but in a general way, I am really against any kind of video tutorial, as my internet conneciton is crap and english is not my native language -reading it is ok, but listening to it not so good-.
this is a good perspective. i will keep it in mind if i do do any screencasts. i had already been thinking lots of info text overlays. and minimal talk/maximal audio/visual examples makes sense also. i do think seeing examples as they are done and hearing the sonic results could be more illuminating for many folks than text alone.

thanks for the input sinkmusic! enjoy! /dan
Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #368
sinkmusic

Thanks, Bang, you're a gentleman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang
i do think seeing examples as they are done and hearing the sonic results could be more illuminating for many folks than text alone.
Yes, indeed, that makes perfect sense too.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #369
amenbrother

One question about portamento, legato, glide etc. Is it possible to program legato, or hold notes, and let the pitch glide between notes with different pitch. As it is now I try to set the gate time to 2 and set the voice of following step to 0, but try to trigger the pitch to influence the voice of the step before. Doesnt seem to work though.
Iv also tried the pitchbend, but it sems to be a little crude to make smooth transitions.

I know you can set the porta/ glide amount on the most synths, but some sequensers have the ability to program a hold note and glide between steps with different pitch information. Is it possible on the Arp!0

/Per
amenbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #370
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenbrother View Post
I know you can set the porta/ glide amount on the most synths, but some sequensers have the ability to program a hold note and glide between steps with different pitch information. Is it possible on the Arp!0
arp!0 only generates midi. afaik, this is not something midi can do by itself. the arps/sequencers i have seen that have this feature are built into a synth and do the glide internally. but i think many synths have an option to glide when midi input notes overlap. so you should be able to get this effect whenever the gate time is >= 1. this is not something i have much experience with though. anyone else have better ideas here? tia! /dan
Old 04-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #371
bang

Default arp!0 - v0.81beta - very nearly finally release

hello all! new release! this feels very nearly finally done-ish. or something. :^) primary changes are:

- optional 3rd & 4th control sequences
- reworked scaled tick time logic so that there is a separate automatable value that should allow smooth tempo changes, fwiw.
- revised logic & gui for the "power user" dir step types. added a new dir operation meta that shows new icons for dirops instead of reusing the normal icons. i hope this clarifies things a bit.
- pdf & html documentation with pics! the pics are fuzzy for me in the pdf. html much better imo. does that work for folks? this is a first pass, and mostly just adds pics to the old text, plus updates for the new gui bits. additions & edits to the docs are still on the agenda.

all in all, quite a few changes. could have tested more, but have some other pressing work to get to. so here it is. comments on the docs particularly welcome! what doesn't make sense?

enjoy! /dan
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #372
bang

ps- fyi, one more quite useful new bit in v0.81 is that right-clicking in dropdowns leaves the dropdown visible and active.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #373
amenbrother

Quote:
arp!0 only generates midi. afaik, this is not something midi can do by itself. the arps/sequencers i have seen that have this feature are built into a synth and do the glide internally. but i think many synths have an option to glide when midi input notes overlap. so you should be able to get this effect whenever the gate time is >= 1. this is not something i have much experience with though. anyone else have better ideas here? tia! /dan
Ok, cheers. Didnt know that. Hoped that it was possible. Yes the synth I tried it with was the Monotribe. Nice little fellow. With other hardware like the mks-50 its possible to use cc to control porta on off etc.
amenbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #374
IXix

Thanks Dan.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #375
sinkmusic

Thanks !
Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #376
Banned

Quote:
Within the limits of the pitch bend range of the synth, you can probably do it with MIDI pitch bend. For example, if the pitch bend of the particular instrument used ranges from -12 to +12 semitones, you can make a glide of maximum 24 semitones by playing the first note with pitch bend at minimum from the start, then gradually moving to maximum, with timing controlled with some parameters. If the device allows for its pitch bend range to be set dynamically using MIDI (e.g. using RPNs or SysEx), you can change it to the desired interval for every individual slide, so you can maintain maximum pitch bend resolution for each slide for smoothest sliding results (I remember making a TB-303-inspired script for doing that for some other old Roland synths ages ago).
Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #377
bang

ok, ok. shouldn't have been so absolute. "...not something midi can do easily" maybe? "...not something midi can do without horrible, ugly hacks"??? "...not something the midi goddess ever intended midi to do"??? :^) :^)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Within the limits of the pitch bend range of the synth, you can probably do it with MIDI pitch bend. For example, if the pitch bend of the particular instrument used ranges from -12 to +12 semitones, you can make a glide of maximum 24 semitones by playing the first note with pitch bend at minimum from the start, then gradually moving to maximum, with timing controlled with some parameters.
but what if the *next* note is lower than the first? amenbrother wants a continuous glide across all sequenced/arp'd notes i think. and if we are only thinking one note at a time, this seems like something that would be better done in a post-processing midi plugin. actually, *has* it been done? enjoy! /dan

ps- smiling all the while i was composing this. hope the good humor is clear, Banned. ...and, any thoughts on arp!0 relative to Numerology?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #378
bang

Quote:
and if we are only thinking one note at a time, this seems like something that would be better done in a post-processing midi plugin.
hmmm. even if we *aren't* thinking one note at a time, 14 bits of pitch bend distributed across 24 semitones gives a resolution of <0.15 cents. i think that would be good enough to do a reasonably continuous pitch bend glide over 2 octaves controlled by midi note input. sounds like a fun little Js plugin to do sometime. sometime *after* arp!0 that is. :^) enjoy! /dan

ps- unless it's been done already? or if anyone else is willing? :^)
Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #379
Lawrence

This is one of the coolest things I've seen lately.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #380
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
This is one of the coolest things I've seen lately.
only lately? :^( ...sorry. :^) i seem to be in a mood today. very glad you like arp!0 Lawrence. feedback always welcome. enjoy! /dan
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #381
groundhum

Quote:
sounds like a fun little Js plugin to do sometime. sometime *after* arp!0 that is.
And that's where it should be: after. IMNSHO js plugins should be [modular] building blocks and not include the kitchen sink.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #382
Banned

Quote:
but what if the *next* note is lower than the first? amenbrother wants a continuous glide across all sequenced/arp'd notes i think. and if we are only thinking one note at a time, this seems like something that would be better done in a post-processing midi plugin. actually, *has* it been done? enjoy! /dan

ps- smiling all the while i was composing this. hope the good humor is clear, Banned. ...and, any thoughts on arp!0 relative to Numerology?
Well, of course you have to do this every time between two notes; and when the second note starts you should already know the next (third) note in order to properly set its pitch bend offset. Of course it'd be easier to code for offline processing, but that would make an arpeggiator almost useless, no? (Perhaps not entirely - I remember making and using such arpeggiator scripts for offline use with Cakewalk's ancient and abandoned CAL application scripting language. The reason why I think it could be done in realtime, is that an arpeggiator typically knows in advance what notes it should play in advance of actually playing them (but I'm not sure that applies to your arpeggiator entirely). But it's definitely not the easiest thing to do.

I hope I didn't miss any good yet subtle humor, not being a native speaker, but don't worry about me taking your comments the wrong way.

Didn't get around to much playing with Numerology lately, unfortunately... will get back to you on that one.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #383
bang

Quote:
Well, of course you have to do this every time between two notes; and when the second note starts you should already know the next (third) note in order to properly set its pitch bend offset.
i don't see how you could reset the base pitch bend between notes without retriggering a new note, which would break up the continuous glide, wouldn't it?
Quote:
The reason why I think it could be done in realtime, is that an arpeggiator typically knows in advance what notes it should play in advance of actually playing them (but I'm not sure that applies to your arpeggiator entirely). But it's definitely not the easiest thing to do.
because of live, real time parameter changes, arp!0 doesn't currently look ahead. it would be pretty tricky to do both. and, i do think the continuously gliding effect that amenbrother wants is better done in a separate, post-process plugin dedicated to that purpose.
Quote:
I hope I didn't miss any good yet subtle humor, not being a native speaker, but don't worry about me taking your comments the wrong way.
oh good. i'm a bit paranoid about my sometimes quirky humor coming across the wrong way in text. your hacker "can do" attitude is delightful. thanks for the good ideas.
Quote:
Didn't get around to much playing with Numerology lately, unfortunately... will get back to you on that one.
that will be great, whenever. i'm quite curious what the arp!0-Numerology cross-product might reveal. and nice to see you here in the arp!0 thread!

enjoy! /dan

ps- just ran across the brave new Js world thread. big wow there! big arp!0 code rewrite somewhere down the road too. oh joy! :^)
Old 04-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #384
Anton9

Dan,

I was wondering if there is any chance you could add the "sort transform" section(on/off, update transform on, load) to the parameters list so they can be controlled via MIDI?

Thank You,

Anton
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #385
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
I was wondering if there is any chance you could add the "sort transform" section(on/off, update transform on, load) to the parameters list so they can be controlled via MIDI?
possibly. on/off, and update transform on are doable. not sure about load, since the loadable sortx's could be a moving target. adding parameters is a bit of a pain though, so i'd like to understand the use case better. what do you have in mind specifically? and, all the sortx bits are changeable using variants. could you do what you want by loading different variants with different sortx configurations and using midi program changes to change the current variant? this would have the advantage that the different sortx's are saved and restored in a preset. loading sortx's is dependant on what sortx's are currently in the arpbangzero_sortx/_defsortx.txt data files. enjoy! /dan
Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #386
Anton9

Basically I want to be able to change these options via MIDI/OSC while playing so I don't have to open the interface and use the mouse. I thought about doing it via program change but that is apt to introduce a slight pause in output or possible stuck notes.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #387
bang

Quote:
Basically I want to be able to change these options via MIDI/OSC while playing so I don't have to open the interface and use the mouse. I thought about doing it via program change but that is apt to introduce a slight pause in output or possible stuck notes.
variant program changes should not interrupt arp!0 in any way other than loading a new configuration. seamless live config changes is one of the main reasons for having variants. so if it glitches i want to know and i'll fix it. but it sounds like you are more interested in remote control. for that i can see some value in exposing a sortx on/off parameter. the update sortx controls would be more difficult. there are too many i think to devote a parameter to each. internally they are bits in a single value. i'm not sure how useful a bit collection is for remote control. how important is this Anton? remote control of loading sortx's probably won't work. from Js you can't distinguish automation parameters and preset values. so a parameter to load a sortx will also show up when loading presets, which have their own embedded sortx's. afaik, there would be no way to know when to overwrite the preset sortx with a loaded sortx. for this i think you will need to put any sortx's you need in variants and use program changes. but as i said, that ought to just work. hope all this helps. enjoy! /dan
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #388
Anton9

I just tried variants and they appear to work fine for what I had in mind as far as switching sort transforms is concerned.

Quote:
but it sounds like you are more interested in remote control. for that i can see some value in exposing a sortx on/off parameter.
That would be great!

Quote:
the update sortx controls would be more difficult. there are too many i think to devote a parameter to each. internally they are bits in a single value. i'm not sure how useful a bit collection is for remote control.
As for the "update sortx controls" if you could expose just that single value to be controlled via MIDI that would be fine because I should be able to get at the individual bits with the software that I use to program my controller. It has a pretty robust scripting language.

My next question would be.., I assume the switching of variants is done with a single value as well? If you could expose this as well that would be awesome.

Thank You,

Anton
Old 04-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #389
bang

Quote:
I just tried variants and they appear to work fine for what I had in mind as far as switching sort transforms is concerned.
good. and i will add sortx on/off & update bits to the short list. it may be a while before another release though.
Quote:
My next question would be.., I assume the switching of variants is done with a single value as well? If you could expose this as well that would be awesome.
alas, variants are a whole different ballgame. and for reasons similar to switching sort transforms, it just won't work to add a variant parameter. i tried early on, but because changing variants changes settings that are also loaded in presets, "bad things" happened. is there a problem with program changes for this purpose Anton9? enjoy! /dan
Old 04-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #390
Anton9

Well it looks like I was right regarding stuck notes when switching via program changes..., bummer.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #391
bang

Quote:
Well it looks like I was right regarding stuck notes when switching via program changes..., bummer.
can't have that. i am determined that this works right. can you send me a Reaper project that demonstrates this? tia! /dan
Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #392
Anton9

Here ya go.
It's a very basic example using two instances of ReaSynth just for test purposes, the first is set to MIDI Bus 1 and the second to Bus 2.

Note:
Just before I was getting ready to post this I did another test and noticed that the MIDI Bus option in arpbangzero is not being saved within variants, although it does save correctly within presets.

Setup:
Load the project then in arpbangzero set "load preset notes" to yes and select preset "Test 1".., let run for a second then switch to preset "Test 2"
and you should hear "Test 1" notes hanging. It doesn't do it everytime so you may have to try a few times. I did however notice that it seems like you can get it to hang easier if you change presets using the mouse scrollwheel.

Thanks for looking into this.

Anton
Attached Files
File Type: rpp TEST 2.RPP (20.9 KB, 184 views)
Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #393
bang

Quote:
Here ya go.
It's a very basic example using two instances of ReaSynth just for test purposes, the first is set to MIDI Bus 1 and the second to Bus 2.
thanks for trimming it down to a minimal test case.
Quote:
Note:
Just before I was getting ready to post this I did another test and noticed that the MIDI Bus option in arpbangzero is not being saved within variants, although it does save correctly within presets.
that is by design. neither midi channel or bus change with variants. since variants are selectable via midi input, we don't want the midi configuration changing when variants change.
Quote:
Setup:
Load the project then in arpbangzero set "load preset notes" to yes and select preset "Test 1".., let run for a second then switch to preset "Test 2" and you should hear "Test 1" notes hanging. It doesn't do it everytime so you may have to try a few times. I did however notice that it seems like you can get it to hang easier if you change presets using the mouse scrollwheel.
hmmm. if the test case depends on loading Reaper presets i will need an exported preset library (.rpl) with "Test 1" and "Test 2". presets aren't included in a Reaper project. but let me see if i understand the scenario: do the two presets have different midi channels or buses? that could be a problem. i am not be clearing any active notes when the channel changes, and i should. i guess i'm not expecting channel changes while an arp is playing. so the question is, except for presets that change the channel or midi bus, do notes hang? tia! /dan

ps- on my mac, presets don't actually change when i use the mouse wheel in the dropdown presets menu. do they on windows? or is there some other way to change presets with the mouse wheel?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #394
bang

pps- i am also thinking that the load notes with presets option might be a problem. i confess i sort of threw that feature in a long time ago and haven't tested it much. i will check that out when i can. but if you still get stuck notes without changing the midi channel/bus, would you also try not loading notes and see if that makes a difference Anton9? the primary use case i want to support is changing variants or presets while keeping any current input notes playing. tia! /dan
Old 04-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #395
Banned

Quote:
i don't see how you could reset the base pitch bend between notes without retriggering a new note, which would break up the continuous glide, wouldn't it?
Yep, if the total interval between multiple notes is bigger than the pitch bend range, the continuity of the glide breaks down a bit. But if you use shorter gate times for non-gliding notes (and short release times on the synth), and only retrigger when you need to, you can still get very usable glide results with a bit of cheating here an there: the glide can continue while only envelopes retrigger.
Quote:
because of live, real time parameter changes, arp!0 doesn't currently look ahead. it would be pretty tricky to do both. and, i do think the continuously gliding effect that amenbrother wants is better done in a separate, post-process plugin dedicated to that purpose.
Ah, I see, well that kind of kills the idea for now then. Perhaps I'll have a go at a separate JS plugin for it some boring day. <wishes for a pocket-sized baby JS for coding during otherwise lost hours while travelling and such>
Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #396
bang

Quote:
[...]<wishes for a pocket-sized baby JS for coding during otherwise lost hours while travelling and such>
yes! an iJS ios app would be right up there with google-glasses! :^)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #397
Anton9

Quote:
but let me see if i understand the scenario: do the two presets have different midi channels or buses?
Yes, "Test 1" preset is set to MIDI bus 1 and "Test 2" preset is set to MIDI bus 2.., the channels do not change, they are both set to chan.1

I did a little more testing and by changing the MIDI bus option in arpbangzero from 1 to 2 without changing presets causes hangs as well.
So it looks like the problem is most likely connected to bus switching.
I also did some tests with switching MIDI channels but things seem to be fine.., no hangs.

Quote:
ps- on my mac, presets don't actually change when i use the mouse wheel in the dropdown presets menu. do they on windows? or is there some other way to change presets with the mouse wheel?
Yes on Windows.., what you have to do is first select a preset from the dropdown, then as long as your cursor is hovering over the preset box using the mousewheel you can switch presets. I'm not sure if it's a Win. only thing or not.

p.s. I've attached the arpbangzero preset bank with the two test presets.
Attached Files
File Type: rpl arpbangzeroTEST.RPL (33.6 KB, 201 views)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #398
Anton9

Quote:
pps- i am also thinking that the load notes with presets option might be a problem. i confess i sort of threw that feature in a long time ago and haven't tested it much. i will check that out when i can. but if you still get stuck notes without changing the midi channel/bus, would you also try not loading notes and see if that makes a difference?
I did a quick test without the load notes option selected and just changed the bus setting while it was playing and I still get stuck notes.., so it looks like the load notes option is not the culprit. Most likely the MIDI bus option is to blame.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #399
bang

Quote:
I did a quick test without the load notes option selected and just changed the bus setting while it was playing and I still get stuck notes.., so it looks like the load notes option is not the culprit. Most likely the MIDI bus option is to blame.
thanks much for checking all this out Anton9. thinking about it now, you are almost certainly right about the midi bus problem. i queue a note on and off together on the same channel. but the bus is a global setting. if it is changed between sending note on and off there will be hung notes. i will fix that for the next release. there may still be a tiny risk of stuck notes with load notes on, so i'll look that over too. enjoy! /dan
Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #400
Anton9

Quote:
thanks much for checking all this out Anton9.
And thank you for creating such an inspirational tool.