Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
yep
Human being with feelings

Default Radio Shack sells great guitar cables! (not sure where to put this)

In a pinch a few weeks ago, I needed a guitar cable, and the only place close by was radio shack. They had some cheap, crappy-looking black plastic ones with molded ends that just screamed "handling noise", but they had one braided, plastic-coated 25" cable with gold connectors for $22.

I bought the $22 cable, used it without problem, and packed it up with my gear without thinking.

This weekend I was unpacking, and uncoiled it, and decided to test it out to see whether to keep it with my junk cables or good ones...

It's a freakin awesome guitar cable! Unterminated (i.e. no guitar plugged in) and plugged into my most sensitive amp on high gain (an old marshall), it has close to zero handling noise. I mean, I have to slap the cord to get handling sounds that are appreciably louder then the noise floor of the amp. You can hold it, rub it, coil it, lick it-- it's silent. I had to move a coil of cable within 3 feet of a fluorescent lamp to get it to hum louder than the white noise from the amp.

I have not owned this for long, but so far this is absolutely competitive with high-end monster or mogami mono cable and Neutrik connectors, but about 1/4 the price.

I have not owned this cable long enough to give a clinical read on reliability, but it seems to be built like a tank. It is made with VERY heavy-duty gold-plated connectors on each end, and those sort of "spring" stress relievers, which I like much better than the extra bit of shrink-wrap.

It's pretty obviously made of twisted-pair cable in a braided cloth insulation that looks like the fender "vintage voltage" cables (which suck). That is then covered by a very thick, clear rubber/plastic "skin". I have not seen this type of outer construction before, but man, you could drive a truck over it from the looks of it. You could not, however, bend it at a 90-degree angle.

I have not been able to unscrew the connector lugs without using two wrenches, and I don't want to mess up such tight connections to see what the shielding type is yet. It's possible that this cable uses a foil shield instead of a braided shield, I'll let you know when I find out. If you want to sacrifice your own $22, you can buy one and cut it yourself, for the sake of science.

It doesn't lay as flat on the floor as the most flexible and "soft" cables, but it does a much better job than the stiff, heavy-gauge Monsters.

I'll post back if I have reliability problems with it, but so far it seems absolutely competitive with cables costing a lot more, and is good to know about if you're stuck in a strange town like I was and need a guitar cable. Way better than anything you could buy at Guitar Center for $22.

edit: speling

Last edited by yep; 10-27-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: sp
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
chrisharbin

One of my favorite subjects Thanks for posting!
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
JHughes
Banned

Nice report, thanks.

Through the years, R/S has had great stuff made for them by other companies, certain radios and speakers for example. Great stuff, just rebranded. So I wonder who actually made that cable?
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Nice report, thanks.

Through the years, R/S has had great stuff made for them by other companies, certain radios and speakers for example. Great stuff, just rebranded. So I wonder who actually made that cable?
This HAS to be some other company's cable, re-branded as Rat Shack, but it's a cable construction I have never seen before. It almost looks like a braided-insulator cable (mine is pale green with a purple weave) inside a roll of surgical tubing.

I own literally hundreds of cables and I've never seen one like it. But it seems to work great. We'll see how it holds up, but in early testing, it definitely qualifies as a high-end guitar cable.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
drybij

I'll have to lick my other cables, for comparison purposes.
drybij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
stratotak

these??

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...lue=RadioShack
stratotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
vassago

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
In a pinch a few weeks ago, I needed a guitar cable, and the only place close by was radio shack. They had some cheap, crappy-looking black plastic ones with molded ends that just screamed "handling noise", but they had one braided, plastic-coated 25" cable with gold connectors for $22.

I bought the $22 cable, used it without problem, and packed it up with my gear without thinking.

This weekend I was unpacking, and uncoiled it, and decided to test it out to see whether to keep it with my junk cables or good ones...

It's a freakin awesome guitar cable! Unterminated (i.e. no guitar plugged in) and plugged into my most sensitive amp on high gain (an old marshall), it has close to zero handling noise. I mean, I have to slap the cord to get handling sounds that are appreciably louder then the noise floor of the amp. You can hold it, rub it, coil it, lick it-- it's silent. I had to move a coil of cable within 3 feet of a fluorescent lamp to get it to hum louder than the white noise from the amp.

I have not owned this for long, but so far this is absolutely competitive with high-end monster or mogami mono cable and Neutrik connectors, but about 1/4 the price.

I have not owned this cable long enough to give a clinical read on reliability, but it seems to be built like a tank. It is made with VERY heavy-duty gold-plated connectors on each end, and those sort of "spring" stress relievers, which I like much better than the extra bit of shrink-wrap.

It's pretty obviously made of twisted-pair cable in a braided cloth insulation that looks like the fender "vintage voltage" cables (which suck). That is then covered by a very thick, clear rubber/plastic "skin". I have not seen this type of outer construction before, but man, you could drive a truck over it from the looks of it. You could not, however, bend it at a 90-degree angle.

I have not been able to unscrew the connector lugs without using two wrenches, and I don't want to mess up such tight connections to see what the shielding type is yet. It's possible that this cable uses a foil shield instead of a braided shield, I'll let you know when I find out. If you want to sacrifice your own $22, you can buy one and cut it yourself, for the sake of science.

It doesn't lay as flat on the floor as the most flexible and "soft" cables, but it does a much better job than the stiff, heavy-gauge Monsters.

I'll post back if I have reliability problems with it, but so far it seems absolutely competitive with cables costing a lot more, and is good to know about if you're stuck in a strange town like I was and need a guitar cable. Way better than anything you could buy at Guitar Center for $22.

edit: speling
you could just buy a Monster guitar cable and you'll have the same results :P it's gonna cost you about 125$ instead of 20$ ...small detail.

I am sold and self admitted fanboy to the pro line of planetwave, for around 50$ you get a cable you can use as a whip and still get no noise and I've never had any of my cables die on me or become noisy...even after months of abuse.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Paradiddle

I am stuck in a strange town.

Thanks.
Paradiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
BoxOfSnoo

The cheap molded grey ones are rather legendary, too. See here:

http://digital.premierguitar.com/pre.../201011_4#pg29

And SRV used to insist on the coily ones, not sure if you can get them anymore.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
brainwreck

*picks up cable* *sniff* *sniff*
Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
Earache

Canada's replacement for RS - The Source, doesn't seem to carry these cables. My first go to spot for cable is MonoPrice. I haven't done the lick test on 'em but for the price they're top notch:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10244
Earache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
moribund

Those are cheap. Is monoprice in Canada?

Have you looked inside the cable (i.e., is it a braided shield, or foil, twisted pair, etc.)?
moribund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratotak View Post
That's exactly the one. Even the same weird color scheme!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
Earache

Monoprice is in the US, they ship USPS so none of the typical issues with UPS brokerage etc. coming into Canada. I'm not saying the cables are comparable to the OP's find but they are good cables. I don't abuse them the way a gigging musician might but I've been rolling my chair across the same 15fter for a few years now and its held up fine.
Earache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
robbiecanuck

Default Still for sale - $26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post

I'll post back if I have reliability problems with it...
I was in Radio Shack today and noticed they still had the same cable for sale. It's up to $26, though. You haven't reported back with any problems, so I hope the cable has been reliable for you. I went ahead and bought one to give it a try myself.

Thanks for the tip.

- Rob

Last edited by robbiecanuck; 05-02-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Improved wording
robbiecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
The cheap molded grey ones are rather legendary, too. See here:

http://digital.premierguitar.com/pre.../201011_4#pg29

And SRV used to insist on the coily ones, not sure if you can get them anymore.

Coily ones coming up sir.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...2&locale=en_US
Doc Brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Bristol Posse

Looks a lot like Spectrafex

I experience similar performance with mine and the price is about the same. I also found they did store branded stuff at my local music store.

Funny thing is I tried some of the high end lava cables and there is no doubt there is a difference. But I didn't like it, it wasn't my sound, too much top end or something
I guess better on paper isn't always better in the real world.
YMMV
Bristol Posse is offline   Reply With Quote