Old 02-15-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
RezaYazdi604
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Default Hammer Dulcimer VSTi for Reaper

I read and search a lot for some good free VSTi so I can play hammer dulcimer with Reaper using my MIDI keypad but they are hard to find. All the websites want to force downloading stupid SW before they let you download the VSTi.

Is there a good reliable Website that I can get some good Hammer Dulcimer VSTi?

Thanks
RezaYazdi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
martifingers
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,116
Default

Hi. I know the problem, The best hammer dulcimer I have come across is unfortunately part of REASON. You could try these alternatives:

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php...tringZ&id=1085
This includes a "dulcimer" but it's an Appalachian one. Quite nice though.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php...Zither&id=1710
Again not a dulcimer but a similar sound and very well sampled. Another option for this zither sound is:
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=VPS&id=2496

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php..._DreamZ&id=344
This has a sort-of-percussive-dulcimer sound that may work in a mix. I think the intonation is "western" BTW.

All above downloaded without issue as I recall but be careful as I am sure you are aware.

A final thought -if you are desperate I would be happy to import a MIDI file into REASON and output a wav for you if you wanted to see what that sounded like.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
RezaYazdi604
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Thank you so much for your help.
I'll give them a try this weekend and then let you know if I need to bother you to create the wav files.
I actually have a couple of hammer dulcimers and try to record the notes and used ReaSamplOmatic5000 plugin to assigned them to the MIDI keyboard. The problem is there's a 0.3-0.5sec delay between when I hot the key until Reaper plays the wave file. Do you know how I can fix the delay?

Thanks again for your help.
RezaYazdi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:24 AM   #4
martifingers
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,116
Default

You are very welcome.
Re the ReaSamplOmatic5000 delay:

Silly question I know but did you edit the samples so they start at the start if you see what I mean?
Otherwise is the delay any worse than any other VSTi? If not it's due to latency I would imagine so check your buffer settings and try zero latency monitoring if you have it on your interface.

Nice to see someone getting back to doing their own sampling BTW. That way your sound will definitely be original!
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
RezaYazdi604
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Yes. That's I'm sure of. I edited the wav file so it starts right when the sound starts.
I'm not using any specific interface. I have a home made USB midi keyboard and use laptop speakers.
When I use a different SW (synthFont) there's no latency. I haven't yet successfully installed an instrument with Reaper to see how they sound. I'm going to try the links you sent and download some and see how they work.

My sampling is not that good yet. I just used laptop MIC for now but definitely nice to hear my own instrument.

I'll get back to you soon.
RezaYazdi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
jerome_oneil
Human being with feelings
 
jerome_oneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,117
Default

I'm working a pretty big bluegrass festival next week, and there is a fella with a hammer dulcimer that comes every year. If I was to ask him to record some samples, what kind of thing would you be looking for?
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #7
RezaYazdi604
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Thanks So much Jerome.

I'm playing a Persian Hammer Dulcimer (Santoor) although they sound very close to the western dulcimers but due to the special 1/4 notes and scales that we have I'm not sure if it can be helpful for me.

As you know dulcimers have a lot of wires to tune (in my case 72) and they are easily get of tune and switching between scales are not that easy because we have limited notes (in may case only 24 notes). So I designed and made a MIDI-Hammer Dulcimer which you can basically play with hammers and it will send the MIDI info (Notes + velocity) to the computer or DAW. Then by sampling and choosing the right scales you can play forever without a need for tuning as well as switching the scales will be as easy as pressing a button

I had some latency issues but by installing ASIO I resolved it tonight and it sounds really good. Now All I need is a learn on how to record/sample my instrument properly. Because at the moment I'm just using my laptop MIC which is quiet noisy.

Any guidance on how to do this? I'm an amture musican and don't have proper recording equipment. Is there a place I can take my instrument to and get it recorded? Thx for all the help.

Last edited by RezaYazdi604; 02-17-2017 at 11:43 PM.
RezaYazdi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #8
RezaYazdi604
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Hi. I know the problem, The best hammer dulcimer I have come across is unfortunately part of REASON. You could try these alternatives:

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php...tringZ&id=1085
This includes a "dulcimer" but it's an Appalachian one. Quite nice though.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php...Zither&id=1710
Again not a dulcimer but a similar sound and very well sampled. Another option for this zither sound is:
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=VPS&id=2496

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php..._DreamZ&id=344
This has a sort-of-percussive-dulcimer sound that may work in a mix. I think the intonation is "western" BTW.

All above downloaded without issue as I recall but be careful as I am sure you are aware.

A final thought -if you are desperate I would be happy to import a MIDI file into REASON and output a wav for you if you wanted to see what that sounded like.
Thanks for the VST links. I downloaded all of them and they all sound good. The only one which works with my home made MIDI - Dulcimer is the Fretless Zither.

Thanks again for your help. This was a break through for me

Having resolved the latency, I'm now going to focus to record/sample my instrument the best way possible so I can have it's real sound
RezaYazdi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:12 AM   #9
martifingers
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,116
Default

Glad things are working out.

Perhaps you could post some of the resulting music on the REAPER MUSIC forum. Best of luck.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #10
TheMaartian
Human being with feelings
 
TheMaartian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 132
Default

Another very nice sounding hammered dulcimer is Charles' Dulcimer. You can download it for free at VSTBuzz just by creating an account. This is a Native Instruments' Kontakt VI, but it works with the free Kontakt Player! If this is the extra software you were concerned about having to install, it's well worth it in my opinion. What's nice is that it has a standalone mode as well as a VST mode, so you can play it with your MIDI keyboard without having to start up Reaper.

http://vstbuzz.com/freebies/charles-dulcimer/

Check out the audio samples.
__________________
Intel i7 @ 3.4 GHz; Win10 x64; 16 GB RAM; SONAR Platinum; Reaper 5; Melodyne 4 Studio
Tascam US-16x08; Nektar Panorama P6; M-Audio BX8 D2; Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U; XLN AD2, AK; AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, Chromaphone 2; Notion 6; Rhyme Genie 8
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #11
jerome_oneil
Human being with feelings
 
jerome_oneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezaYazdi604 View Post
Thanks So much Jerome.

I'm playing a Persian Hammer Dulcimer (Santoor) although they sound very close to the western dulcimers but due to the special 1/4 notes and scales that we have I'm not sure if it can be helpful for me.
One of the great things about Ye Olde Reaper Forum is that it is not an infrequent thing when I learn about something new.

"Persian Hammer Dulcimer" that plays a micro-tonal scale.

I'm dying to hear it.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #12
martifingers
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,116
Default

I once heard a live performance on a micro toned dulcimer by this musician at a film screening of The cabinet of Dr Caligari:
https://viennesewaltz.net/2007/09/03/geoffsmith/

He has also applied his micro tuning technology to piano. Here's a good example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq-p9j54gcU

Last edited by martifingers; 02-20-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Clarity
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #13
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaartian View Post
Another very nice sounding hammered dulcimer is Charles' Dulcimer. You can download it for free at VSTBuzz just by creating an account. This is a Native Instruments' Kontakt VI, but it works with the free Kontakt Player! If this is the extra software you were concerned about having to install, it's well worth it in my opinion. What's nice is that it has a standalone mode as well as a VST mode, so you can play it with your MIDI keyboard without having to start up Reaper.

http://vstbuzz.com/freebies/charles-dulcimer/

Check out the audio samples.
Thanks for the link!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
martifingers
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
I once heard a live performance on a micro toned dulcimer by this musician at a film screening of The cabinet of Dr Caligari:
https://viennesewaltz.net/2007/09/03/geoffsmith/

He has also applied his micro tuning technology to piano. Here's a good example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq-p9j54gcU
I should have said the Youtube example is a duet with a dulcimer.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.