CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 06-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
MSK
Human being with feelings

Default Windows Distribution

Hey all,

I'm working on a project that's nearing completion, at least to the point where I'm starting to think about distribution. I'm working in Xcode on OS X with Youlean's IPlug.

I've been able to get the build script for OS X to run (more or less), and have started looking into making packages/dmgs for distribution. I haven't made any progress with the windows script, however.

I've so far been unable to get the environment set up on Windows with Visual Studio 2017 on Windows 7 (though admittedly I haven't put a whole lot of time into it!), and I was wondering if I need to be on a windows machine to use the included distribution script (which I'm assuming makes an .exe and puts files where they need to go on a user's machine).

So I guess I have two questions:

I. If I have to set up my development environment on my PC, does anyone have any help/suggestions? I've never used Visual Studio or developed on Windows.

II. If I can prepare my plugin for windows distribution in my current setup (OS X), how?

We're currently only building AU and VST. I'm running OS X 10.11, Xcode 8.2.1, and it's safe to assume I know almost nothing about the details of actually distributing/installing software.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

MSK
MSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:30 AM   #2
Youlean

All IPlugExamples are now compatible with Visual Studio 2017. What exact problems do you have on windows?
Youlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
random_id

You will need to get a Windows box (or VM for Mac). Other than that, the rest of the tools should be free.

In addition to Visual Studio (2017 Community Edition), you will need to install Python, Inno Setup (to make the installer), and the Pace tools (for AAX if you need). You will also need to think about something to transfer the source code back and forth between OS X and Windows. I like GUIs, so I use Sourcetree with my git repos.

If you are building AU and VSTs, it should be relatively easy to build on Windows. You might need to edit the build script (*.bat) to limit the builds to VST or whatever. You might also want to download Inno Script Studio to modify the installer if you aren't building all of the formats. Inno Script Studio is a GUI for Inno Setup. I find it a nice way to edit the installers.

This might sound like a lot, but once you have Windows and Visual Studio installed, it shouldn't be that bad. Post any problems you run into.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_id View Post
You will also need to think about something to transfer the source code back and forth between OS X and Windows. I like GUIs, so I use Sourcetree with my git repos.
I am using https://www.resilio.com/individuals/ to quickly sync files from one system to another. Though you must be careful and you must use Sourcetree only on one system as you might get some problems if you upload from both systems (at least I got one problem)
Old 06-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
MSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlean View Post
All IPlugExamples are now compatible with Visual Studio 2017. What exact problems do you have on windows?
Got it working now, just had to build cairo for windows! I'll report back once I get my project up and running on my PC.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
MSK

So I've gotten Visual Studio up and running on my PC, and I just moved my project over to the newest version of Youlean's IPlug. I'm able to build the IPlugEffect and other example projects, but my project won't build because VS can't find the headers I need to add (mostly custom IControls and a few other things).

What's the best way to add files/directories to the VS Solution? Do I need to add them to each project individually? With XCode I just dragged them in from the finder window and picked which targets to add them to, but the few things I've tried with VS haven't worked.

Thanks!
MSK
Old 06-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSK View Post
So I've gotten Visual Studio up and running on my PC, and I just moved my project over to the newest version of Youlean's IPlug. I'm able to build the IPlugEffect and other example projects, but my project won't build because VS can't find the headers I need to add (mostly custom IControls and a few other things).

What's the best way to add files/directories to the VS Solution? Do I need to add them to each project individually? With XCode I just dragged them in from the finder window and picked which targets to add them to, but the few things I've tried with VS haven't worked.

Thanks!
MSK
I am just dragging and dropping files on every project separately. (vst, app...)
Old 06-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
MSK

Okay, I got the header files added (had to be more specific with the paths).

I've managed to build the app successfully (had to change some stuff that the windows compiler didn't like). However when I try and run the .exe I get an Assertion failed in IGraphics.cpp at line 783:
Code:
 		assert(imgResourceFound); // Protect against typos in resource.h and .rc files.
I'm guess it's unable to find my knob and background image resources. Is there something extra I need to do to add them to the VS project? I dragged them in just like the header files, and the paths to them in resource.h are correct (at least they are for OS X - do I need to change them to be correct on Windows?).

Also - should this build be using IGraphicsWin not IGraphics?

Thanks!
MSK
Old 06-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
MSK

Alright I was able to add the resources to the .rc file. Got some other funky behavior I'll investigate.

Thanks!
MSK