Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
plgrmsprgrs
Human being with feelings

Default How to set up Korg Nanopad

Greetings everyone!

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday. Things have been very busy here, but very good. In addition to the other excitement of the season, I became a grandfather! Leif was born 6 weeks ago (9lbs/8oz) to my son and his wife. He just learned to flip onto his back today. Of course, once on his back he's at a complete loss as to what to do next. But, he'll figure it out in short order.

Speaking of being at a complete loss - I got a Korg Nanopad2 for Christmas and can't quite get Reaper to see it. I've installed the latest driver and Windows says it's working properly. But, Reaper doesn't see it, or it does and I'm overlooking something. Searches have turned up precious little on the subject. Any help would be appreciated! Happy New Year to everyone!

Kyle
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Andy Hamm

There is a little korg utility that comes with it, run it and make sure that it says that it is installed correctly. If you change the USB port that it is plugged into you have to run it again. It should show up by name in the MIDI port list.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
plgrmsprgrs

Thanks Andy - is that Korg Kontrol Editor, or Korg USB Midi Driver? When I open the Kontrol Editor it tells me Nanopad is not connected.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
Andy Hamm

It's the MIDI driver. It's not installed properly as the editor would find it if it was.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
plgrmsprgrs

Ok - I uninstalled the driver. When I reconnected the Nanopad, the default Windows driver loaded and Reaper could see the pad. However, there was no indication of a command signal when the pads were touched. I again downloaded the driver from Korg and installed, whereupon Reaper again could not see the pad, although Windows sees it. Any ideas as to what I'm missing? Thanks!

Kyle
Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
karbomusic

Hi Kyle,

I don't remember any of these issues here. I never installed any Korg apps/drivers and Reaper saw it as a standard MIDI device. I enabled it in Reaper preferences, done.

There should be no reason/need for the Korg app unless you want to modify actual assignments etc. of the Korg itself (which some may) which is what I assume Andy is speaking of.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
plgrmsprgrs

Hi Karbo - I'm going to take your lead and go with the Windows default driver, and work with it from there. As I said, I still wasn't getting command signals with that driver, but at least Reaper could see the Nanopad. That's a step in the right direction. Good to know it runs on the default driver. Thanks, and great to see you.

Kyle
Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgrmsprgrs View Post
Hi Karbo - I'm going to take your lead and go with the Windows default driver, and work with it from there. As I said, I still wasn't getting command signals with that driver, but at least Reaper could see the Nanopad. That's a step in the right direction. Good to know it runs on the default driver. Thanks, and great to see you.

Kyle
I fully trust your abilities but just to make double sure, you did actually double click and enable it when it shows up in Reaper? But yea, I haven't used it lately but I don't remember needing any Korg drivers, the only thing I faintly remember is their driver may have given lower latency but don't quote me until I can check myself.

Good to see you as well.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
plgrmsprgrs

I certainly don't trust myself with this type of thing. It's generally a hit and miss kind of process for me. But, it is working now! Apparently, it was working the first time I tried the default driver, but I was expecting to see an indicator in the TCP. I didn't see one this time either. But, then I thought, maybe this theme doesn't display midi signals? So I switched to another theme, and then saw there was a signal. Thanks again for the hand.

Kyle
Old 01-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgrmsprgrs View Post
but I was expecting to see an indicator in the TCP. I didn't see one this time either. But, then I thought, maybe this theme doesn't display midi signals?
Kyle
If that ever happens again (possibly theme related or similar) there is a JS toll "midi logger" you can throw on the receiving track and it will display any incoming MIDI information it sees FYI. Glad to hear you got it working.