Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
jahudka
Human being with feelings

Default FX param controls: support other widgets apart from knob

It'd be great if we could have more options than just a plain knob for FX parameter controls in the mixer and TCP.

Some parameters are binary and would therefore benefit from a button (toggle or momentary). Some parameters present a list of discrete values and could be better served by a "stepped" knob, maybe along with next / previous buttons, or a dropdown.

I'm not sure how plugins report possible parameter values, if at all, so it might not be possible to determine the proper control type (and values) automatically, but I think having the user select the control type manually isn't that much more hassle to the user, and then, if a "discrete values" type of control is desired, the user could be presented with a simple learning dialog where he could either set the values himself or he could click "Auto" and Reaper would try to determine the values automatically (e.g. by sweeping the parameter value from 0 to 1 and watching the reported value change, then building the list from the values found).

What do you think? For me this would be really great as it could simplify a lot of things I do both during a mixing session and using Reaper live.

FR: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5564

Last edited by jahudka; 04-09-2015 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added FR link
jahudka is offline   Reply With Quote