Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
groovemaster
Human being with feelings

Default NI Battery - Nifty Routing With Track Channels?

Hi Everybody,
I wonder, if this is possible:
By default, I load Battery with 16 stereo channels=tracks. The midi-events are all written to track 1.
But I don't want to have the different midi events of all the different drum instruments in one track.
So I create a new miditrack (track 17), let's say for a hihat, and make a send to track 1....so that all the midi-events of the Hihat are on track 17.
Now I want to have a FX on the hihat...so I make a send from track 1 to track 5.
If I would use this track 5 also for midi-input and would rout this again to track 1, there would be a feedback-loop.
My question is: Is it somehow possible to avoid this feedback...maybe with "track channels"?
The reason to ask is, that I don't want to have beside of the 16 stereo tracks for the FX, another 16 midi tracks, but to use these 16 Stereo tracks also for midi-input.
groovemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
G-Sun

Is it midi Fx?
Stereo tracks? You mean midi in tracks?
I just seems very messy..

If you just use midi ch 1, the you start with one track sending on midi ch 1 to your vsti-track.
Duplicate that track for as many different midi-tracks you need (snare, BD, hi-hat..)
Midi-fx goes on the track that needs it, or use a folder-track for many tracks.

Then in the vsti fx window choose "Build multichannel output for the selected fx" -if you want to treat the individual drum-sound differently.

See: http://tutorialsforreaper.com/2010/0...aper-blog-com/

Last edited by G-Sun; 04-15-2012 at 02:06 AM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
groovemaster

@G-Sun & and all others...
No, it's not about midi-fx!
I'll try to explain myself again:

- I load Battery with 16 tracks in an empty project.
- Let's call track 1 the mother-track, where normally all midi-events are recorded.
- The different rhythm instruments (kick, snare etc.) can be routed in battery to the other 15 tracks, so that you can process the hihat different than the snare. Usually these track contain send-fx.
- When I don't want all the midi events on the mother-track, I have to create for every single rhythm instrument a seperate midi-track, and route this to the mother track.

My question is:
Can one use such a "send-fx track" for midi-input and send it back to the mother-track instead of creating a lot of midi tracks for every single instrument?
Normally I'd say no, cause of a feedback loop! But recently I read an article in the SoundonSound magazine about "track channels", and I wonder if this would do the trick?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
planetnine

I'm not following either.

Are you wanting to put multiple MIDI tracks on different (REAPER) channels of a single (REAPER) track to send to your "mother track"?

Am I on the right (heh) track here?

I find your use of some terms confusing.

>
Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
groovemaster

Problem solved...Thanx to this article on SoundOnSound:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun1...-tech-0611.htm

so...if anyone doesn't want to have the midi-events of 10 different drum-kit instruments on one track and also doesn't want to create several midi-tracks....it's possible to use the different channels, which every multi-out VSTi's like Kontakt or Battery are creating at the start.
The trick is:
1. When you've routed (in Battery) e.g. the hihat to channel 3/4 (track 3), you have to make a send back to track 1 (Battery), and set the receive in track 1 to "audio none"..otherwise you would have a real feedback. Track one only receives midi from track 3!
2. Although there is no real feedback you have to enable feedback in the project settings!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovemaster View Post
Problem solved...Thanx to this article on SoundOnSound:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun1...-tech-0611.htm

so...if anyone doesn't want to have the midi-events of 10 different drum-kit instruments on one track and also doesn't want to create several midi-tracks....it's possible to use the different channels, which every multi-out VSTi's like Kontakt or Battery are creating at the start.
The trick is:
1. When you've routed (in Battery) e.g. the hihat to channel 3/4 (track 3), you have to make a send back to track 1 (Battery), and set the receive in track 1 to "audio none"..otherwise you would have a real feedback. Track one only receives midi from track 3!
2. Although there is no real feedback you have to enable feedback in the project settings!
I see, you're using REAPER tracks you use to split the audio out to from your drum VSTi as the MIDI source for the same instrument.

Hi-hat MIDI from track 3; sent to VSTi track (1) as MIDI; Hi-hat audio output from drum VSTi on its own channel in track 1 then sent back as audio to track 3.

Did I understand correctly? Snare on a different track as MIDI then returned as audio, Rack tom1 the same, etc, etc...

You will need to enable feedback routing or REAPER won't pass signal, even if MIDI and audio are separated and there is no "actual" feedback loop.

>
Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovemaster View Post
Problem solved
Good
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
groovemaster

Hi planetnine,
Should I post an image for better understanding?