Old 09-29-2016, 01:45 AM   #1
Gerry G
Human being with feelings

Default New Interface for innovation Mine Blew

I blew up my MOTU Traveler firewire chip.

It has served me well and I think Art and JF recommended it to me many years ago. Great recommendation as it has served nobly and loyally and may do so in future when I resurrect it.

I was tempted to post in the Round Trip Latency thread
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...hlight=latency

but do not want to hijack it and this is about what is affordable but available now. I can repair it but it will take time to get the chip and practice chip on circuit board un-soldering and soldering etc.

I have a new band about to start up and use the interface both to record and play VSTIs in real time so low Round Trip Latency (confortably below 10ms)is vital.

I always wanted an RME Fireface but fire wire is going out of 'fashion'. The MOTU has served me very well and I could still run fire wire but some USB systems seem to be doing well especially with optimised Windows systems.

I just lack confidence on USB 2 so far as carrying duplex signals go ie playing and recording in a performing band at the same time. Some of the musos are very good and would pick up on problems right away but I do not think it needs really low latency like 3ms or anything like that.

I just think that playing at around 44.1khz at 128 with about 5-9 ms would be sweet.

I can just buy a second hand RME but it will stretch the budget.
Should I pay a lot for an RME or get a second hand MOTU unit or even a USB interface? Seeking thoughts on the various alternatives.

BTW can get a second hand RME FW interface for about $2kAUD (about $1534.68 USD here downunder or a 2nd hand MOTU for about AUD $350 (about #268.56 USD)
or import again from the US for a hundred or so more.

Just seeking working opinions on reasonably low latency interfaces without blowing too much.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #2
cyrano

Are you on Windows or on a Mac?

If Mac, go firewire. The TB to FW is 30 € and works flawlessly.

If Windows, go USB. FW is hard to get working on newer mobo's and built-in FW doesn't work to well for audio.

And I don't know if you've noticed, but RME has several USB interfaces and one with FW and USB. No need to be scared of using USB.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
Gerry G

Default Merci M. De Bergerac

I am grateful Cyrano.

Your comments confirm what I am looking into.

I am wondering if there are some really low latency USB interfaces with about 4 x decent pre amps.

On Windows at present but the MOTU Traveler has only firewire. Without that chip it cannot communicate with anything.

I liked the firewire system and am set up with it so I am happy to get a USB to thunderbolt, for the future, when apple lets thunderbolt loose in the wild.

I was just wondering if there was an inexpensive stopgap USB system. I understand that RME has some low latency USB systems now but they are pretty expensive.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
cyrano

Focusrite is good too. And I've been hearing a lot of good about the new Zoom interfaces on Windows. This is one of the few brands with real USB3 interfaces on the market. Several REAPER users reported very good latency on those.

If you're a heavy MIDI user, the iConnect Audio could be worth having a look at. Fairly unique, as you can hook these up to more than one computer simultaneously and they allow midi and audio routing between two computers. Have a look:

http://www.iconnectivity.com/
Old 10-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
Gerry G

Default Merci/Danke je.

Thank you a thousand times Cyrano,

Those suggestions are great and just what I was wondering about. I am just not familiar with more recent quality low latency systems for live use.

It was frustrating that I had it all set up with firewire then blew the FW circuit on the MOTU.

It is an ongoing quest to find that sort of quality gear that is affordable but maybe USB3 will bring us closer to the holy grail of sonic bliss.