Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-06-2016, 04:52 AM   #1
lossius
Human being with feelings

Default [5.25] JSFX parameter modulation issue when parameter has inverse range (FIXED)

1. Download and unzip the following archive: https://db.tt/xus3dlRS

2. Copy the two files "debug_anticlockwise" and "debug_clockwise" to "~/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Effects" or the equivalent folder on Windows

3. WARNING: Turn down audio levels before opening "Parameter Modulation Bug.RPP", as this project will produce pink noise as soon as it is loaded.

4. Start audio playback, and observe parameter modulation on the two tracks.

The track "Clockwise - OK" uses the "debug_clockwise" plugin. This plugin has the angle parameter defined as follows:

slider1:0<-180,180,1>Clockwise Angle

Parameter automation works as expected for this parameter.

The track "Anti-clockwise - BUG" uses the debug_anticlockwise plugin. This plugin has the angle defined as follows:

slider1:0<180,-180,1>Anti-Clockwise Angle

As you see, this plugin is making use of the new feature introduced in Reaper 5.0 that JSFX parameters can have their range inverted (increasing to the left). If parameter modulation is disabled, you can play around with this plugin and it seems to work fine. However, I am not able to find any Parameter Modulation settings that produce circular movements in the GUI. Either it will be stuck to the left (180 deg), to the right (-180 deg) or it will jump back and forth between these two extremes.
lossius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:57 AM   #2
Kewl

Please fix this! Thanks.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Duplicated (at least some of the time -- it does seem to work intermittently here). Fixing!

Last edited by Justin; 10-26-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
lossius

Thank you so much, Justin, that is much appreciated.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
Justin
Administrator

5.28pre5 in the pre-release forum should fix this!
Old 10-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
lossius

I tested in 5.28pre5, and it works for me as well. I really appreciate your help.

Would you be able to take a look at the other issue I reported at the same time as well?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=182297

That issue may be more of a feature request than bug report, and you may want to make some design considerations of your own with respect to whether (and how) to address it. But for cyclic parameters (like the azimuth angle) folding interpolation will be useful.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

For your request for cyclic parameters: there's no good way to implement this that I can see. The best thing would be to have two parameters (X and Y), then expose a knob via @gfx (rendering it yourself) which then sets X and Y accordingly. This way you can automate it, too...
Old 11-07-2016, 05:32 AM   #8
lossius

Thanks for considering it anyway.

If it was to work, I was imagining that there would have to be a new flag introduced in JSFX to indicate that a parameter is cyclic. If so, when interpolating between two automation points, if the distance in value between the two points is more than 50% of full range, the interpolation would take the shorter route and wrap across the range boundaries.

Of course it might very well be that the automation curve is completely agnostic with respect to what kind of plugin and plugin parameter it is interacting with and have no way of retrieving any such flag information.

The xy solution that you propose won't really work for me, as it e.g. would render parameter modulations much more meaningless.

If nothing can be done about this, you can mark the issue as rejected if you want to, so that it's clear that it's not still open.

Again, thanks anyway!