Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Seeing all motu inputs under core audio

Skype is just seeing "MOTU 896 MK3 Hybrid" instead of all 32 inputs to pick from. This works in windows, how do I make it see and allow me to chose from, all channels on OSX?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
serr
Human being with feelings

Skype as in the internet app skype?

You control where to send internal system sounds, alerts and so on under System Preferences/Sound.

You can send things to different devices how ever you want with Audio MIDI Setup (in Applications/Utilities). You also select what channels to use on any device (click speaker setup) and weather you're working with stereo or surround sound.

Further, the MOTU control panel will let you assign routing how ever you want on the device.

So, select the channels you want to use for output on the MOTU with Audio MIDI Setup and then select the MOTU for the output device in Skype. (Or set your system output as the MOTU in Audio MIDI Setup and Skype and everything else will default to it.) Basically, the ability to directly control routing in a multichannel audio interface (like you can do with a DAW) would be much too complex for a simple app like Skype. That's what Core Audio is for.

If you still want more options after all that, you can download the free app Soundflower which acts like a virtual audio device in core audio that gives you 16 channels to route audio between different apps in any way you want.

Have fun!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

soundflower only seems to deal with outputs to the soundcard. We tried it last night.

Is there someplace I could read about how the coreaudio thing works? I sure couldnt seem to get it going, it just showed the one device.

Heres what I want to do:

Reaper acts as a mixer for all the mics and such. Skype sends to reaper from the incoming call. The outgoing is the regular reaper mix minus the skype incoming. Same as a cellphone link and a radio station link.

Reaper goes out to the headphones control rooms and such as normal. Also the main mix goes to wirecast.

From what I read of soundflower, it cant do this.

What i was planning on doing was doing a loopback from ADAT B out to ADAT A in, then using the ADAT A channels as inputs to the internal sends to skype and wirecast and such

Are you saying there is a way to tell skype what channels of the motu to look at and have those separate from what channels wirecast sees?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I guess to clarify, in windows, I can select any one of the motu's channels as inputs in skype. I can also select any one of the motu's channels as outputs in skype. This is what I need to do on OSX
Old 04-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

with soundflower, I would have to chose soundflower as the audio device in reaper right? I need the motu to be the audio device in reaper as far as I know. I need the low latency for the mics and such
Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
with soundflower, I would have to chose soundflower as the audio device in reaper right? I need the motu to be the audio device in reaper as far as I know. I need the low latency for the mics and such
You can simply make an aggregate device of both Soundflower and your interface if you want to use both at the same time.

Read the instructions on Core Audio on Apple's webpage. It's very simple to route things as I tried to explain above. I suspect you're used to the more complex workarounds in Windows so you're overlooking the simpler solution here.

Core Audio lets you route any audio anywhere you want. Audio MIDI Setup is the app to use to control this.

You can make an aggregate device of as many interfaces/devices as you want to use together. The only restriction here is that multiple external audio interfaces must be interconnected with word clock sync.

Soundflower is a virtual device that gives you 16 channels to use as ins or outs however you want to.

In your example I would:
Make an aggregate device of Soundflower16 + the MOTU
Select this aggregate device as Audio Device in Reaper.
-You will see all the MOTU I/O + the 16 Soundflower channels in Reaper
Set OSX system audio to Soundflower
-You will have the Skype audio on Soundflower tracks 1 & 2
Mix away in Reaper and route your output where ever you need it.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Mortal

any links you can give me on setting up the audiomidi thing? It seems a bit complex, I dont see how to do what.

In windows it is as simple as picking the input you want, there is no routing or anything, pick the one you want and go.

I couldn't find a good core audio instruction at apple's site, if you have a link I'd love to have it

Would aggregating the devices change the motu's latency?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
any links you can give me on setting up the audiomidi thing? It seems a bit complex, I dont see how to do what.

In windows it is as simple as picking the input you want, there is no routing or anything, pick the one you want and go.

I couldn't find a good core audio instruction at apple's site, if you have a link I'd love to have it

Would aggregating the devices change the motu's latency?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1215

Routing is another term for picking the input you want. And in OSX it's as simple as pick the one you want and go too. You have to do the very same thing (aggregate device) in Windows for multiple devices. The only difference is there's a centralized control panel in OSX vs. unique subsets of control in different apps.

What are you confused about in Audio MIDI Setup?

Your devices are listed in the left column. Click to select one and you see options and stuff to the right. Right click on one and you can select it for system audio and a couple other menu items. See that speaker symbol on the device set to system audio?