Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
mikeymartin
Human being with feelings

Default Best(and most economical) Drum Program for Reaper?

What are you guys using?
If I use EZ Drummer,does it require another program to support it?
Anywho....thanks guys...
mikeymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Ferret King

EZ Drummer doesn't need an additional program. I'm using Superior at the moment, but am a big fan of EZ and the price is great for what you get (depending on your needs).
Old 01-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
ambient

I'm using the free seinheiser drum instrument with the free version of kontakt. Works well, sounds great.
ambient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
Geo524

ezDrummer and Addictive Drums user here. Both are great programs.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
suleiman

Try the Reaper native Reasamplomatic 5000 + jnif ' s sequencer baby .

There are tons of free samples available , and for economy and quick work flow this combo cant be beat.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 AM   #6
zeekat

I love the Slate drums, exact sound I like and it's actually inexpensive comparing to others.

Shortcircuit + kitbuilder with some freebie wav sets off the internet (like GSCW or tchackpoum) seems to be a good if you plan to spend $0.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #7
ivansc

Got pretty much all of them and love them all for different things.
You should have bought EZD when it was on BF sale at $29. I did and gave it to my daughter's boyfriend, who is an impoverished pro musician.

Even at current price it is still very good bang for the buck.
But buying just ONE drum rompler is a slippery slope.....

P.S. Despite lots of help here and elsewhere I STILL don't seem to be able to get the sennheiser Drummic'a download. My german is just not up to answering the questions the site asks when I input something wrong! (grin)

Last edited by ivansc; 01-21-2014 at 04:42 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:26 AM   #8
OpIvy

I've only ever used Addictive Drums + retro/ metal paks. Been good but always wondered if EZD or similar would serve me 'better'.
I just have nothing to compare and can't be arsed trying them out.
But certainly no complaints with AD
Old 01-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #9
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Gpt[ pretty much all of them and love them all for different things.
You should have bought EZD when it was on BF sale at $29. I did and gave it to my daughter's boyfriend, who is an impoverished pro musician.

Even at current price it is still very good bang for the buck.
But buying just ONE drum rompler is a slippery slope.....

Heh, another one hooked

He'll be even more impoverished buying libraries for it now...

>
Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
pattonfreak1

For free I'd go with DrumMic'a or DrumCore3 Free.

But for $40 this simply cannot be beat:

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/custom.php

Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #11
Geo524

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonfreak1 View Post
But for $40 this simply cannot be beat:

Geo524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
pattonfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo524 View Post
Now that's a deal. Thanks for the information.
No problem.
I'm still using SSD3 but am seriously considering this.
only 2 kits but listening to the demos, it sounds more than capable
Old 01-20-2014, 04:38 AM   #13
rcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
Try the Reaper native Reasamplomatic 5000 + jnif ' s sequencer baby .

There are tons of free samples available , and for economy and quick work flow this combo cant be beat.
Absolutely....Tod gave us a great Xmas with an awesome template with samples. Jnif SB - RS5k - Tod's drums is now my goto drum machine.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl View Post
Absolutely....Tod gave us a great Xmas with an awesome template with samples. Jnif SB - RS5k - Tod's drums is now my goto drum machine.
Heh heh, thanks rcl, here's the link.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=132576
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
Serenitynow

One of the Slate drums (cheaper one) and BFD ECO. I use ECO more right now. Both were cheap and run well.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
MichaJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonfreak1 View Post
..But for $40 this simply cannot be beat:

Old 01-21-2014, 04:28 AM   #17
pattonfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaJo View Post
That's really great! Unfortunately it doesn't run on Win XP
Yeah... I'm getting ready to kiss xp goodbye. Tis sad...
Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
Mike Thrussell

Do check out MDrummer (I think they do a lite free version too) most natural sounding virtual kit I've used. Even considered using it live triggered by practise kit if I could source a reliable laptop/soundcard.
Mike Thrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #19
BillT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymartin View Post
What are you guys using?
If I use EZ Drummer,does it require another program to support it?
Anywho....thanks guys...
Another EZDrummer user here. Very easy drag and drop patterns into Reaper. Great for songwriter types like myself. Plus, expandable.
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
pile of paper

I may be in the minority here, but I don't even bother with a drum program. I just use some free drum samples I found on the internet, and construct beats by copying and-pasting on the grid within Reaper. I find it fairly simple and straightforward to do...maybe because I'd been so used to those old-school drum machine interfaces, so this is like a walk in the park compared to that.
pile of paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #21
The Buddha Rats

How are you going to be constructing your drum tracks? Keyboard? Step-sequencing them? MIDI drumpads, or an e-kit? All of these will work, but no two pieces of software work in the exact same way.

AD is really good. Lots of kit options and expansion packs. Great customer service too. The mapping features are solid, and you can save different configs from within the program. I wish there was a bit more control with regard to velocity curves, particularly being able to custom-draw curves for each drum (see DrumDrops below). Correct me if I'm wrong, but they only have built-in "presets" for changing the curves.

EZDrummer. Great kits, especially those expansion packs that include 4-Mic setups like the Classic and Indie packs. NOTE: If you are looking for real mapping flexibility, the ability to tune each drum (or even the entire kit), etc. then EZDrummer is NOT for you. Get Superior instead.

BFD, and BFD Eco: They sound good, but I find FXPansion software does not play well with Reaper. That is just my own experience. Others use them to great effect without any issues. I've moved on from BFD.

Kontakt-based kits from Analogue Drums and more recently DrumDrops have become my go-to solution for drums.

I just picked up the 1963 Premier DrumDrops kit last week, and I'm amazed at the sound and flexibility that is built into this sample-set. Lots of presets included in addition to a great-sounding default kit. Solid EQ options, transient controls, and what I consider to be the best feature of all: The ability to simply draw and save your own velocity curves for each drum/cymbal as well as the whole kit. I drum on a dk-10 padset. Some samples trigger hotter than others depending on the company, but with the included curve-draw feature I can truly customize everything easily to trigger exactly the way I want.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #22
fedexnman

There is so much to chose from , i have EZdrummer , and some EZXs for it they have sales on EZXs all the time for like $29 or so . I also have One Small Clues Poise , which I use paid or free samples for acoustic and electonic stuff for too .
fedexnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #23
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buddha Rats View Post
BFD, and BFD Eco: They sound good, but I find FXPansion software does not play well with Reaper. That is just my own experience. Others use them to great effect without any issues. I've moved on from BFD.
Eco requires some careful programming (if you program your beats) to sound decent, since it doesn't have real round-robin and there's relatively few velocity layers. But there's really cool choice of kit elements and builtin effects are really interesting and convenient to use.

It works stably for me BTW.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #24
The Buddha Rats

Yea zeekat, the lack of round-robin and fewer velocity layers was a deal breaker for me which was a shame because I really liked the way the kits sounded in Eco. Also, saving custom kits with BFD2 was a nightmare, as none of the mapping or custom settings were being embedded with the patch.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:30 AM   #25
KeithC

Well, I'm a total newbie, still buying some gear, and software, but I could do pro work with what I already have, but refuse to even turn the system on, until I've learned how to uae a DAW, as I'm 52, and the last time I recorded anything, we still used 2" tape, and ADAT was brand new. But I research everything I buy to the inth degree before it leaves the store, and I lstened to drum samplers for 3 hours last Friday, and by far, the best sounding kits I heard, ( not taking ease of programming, or anything but the process used to record their kits, and samples into account.), And I found the $99.00 version of Steven Slates drums sounded so much more like a Real kit, than any other program I heard. The sound of kit I prefer, has always been that huge kick, big snare, and basic 1 or 2 racks, with a big floor tom, and Slates Led Zeppelin kit sounds excatly as I want my kit to sound. I am doing a lot of 60s Floyd, and Crimson style prog, with ELP influences, and would add some toms, and other things, but it sounded perfect. As I said, I didn't get into the sequeners, or other features, only the sounds of the kits. Are Slates programs good for Reaper, and especially for Reaper newbies,( Make that zero experience with DAWs!)? Or is there another program that would be an easier one to kearn, and is less than $100.00, or better, FREE? ALL suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking for Nick Mason, meets Keith Moon, meets Bonham, meets Karl Palmer, with a bit of Charlie watts rock steady thrown in!
Peace to all, and thank you in advance, Keith
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:50 AM   #26
pattonfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
Well, I'm a total newbie, still buying some gear, and software, but I could do pro work with what I already have, but refuse to even turn the system on, until I've learned how to uae a DAW, as I'm 52, and the last time I recorded anything, we still used 2" tape, and ADAT was brand new. But I research everything I buy to the inth degree before it leaves the store, and I lstened to drum samplers for 3 hours last Friday, and by far, the best sounding kits I heard, ( not taking ease of programming, or anything but the process used to record their kits, and samples into account.), And I found the $99.00 version of Steven Slates drums sounded so much more like a Real kit, than any other program I heard. The sound of kit I prefer, has always been that huge kick, big snare, and basic 1 or 2 racks, with a big floor tom, and Slates Led Zeppelin kit sounds excatly as I want my kit to sound. I am doing a lot of 60s Floyd, and Crimson style prog, with ELP influences, and would add some toms, and other things, but it sounded perfect. As I said, I didn't get into the sequeners, or other features, only the sounds of the kits. Are Slates programs good for Reaper, and especially for Reaper newbies,( Make that zero experience with DAWs!)? Or is there another program that would be an easier one to kearn, and is less than $100.00, or better, FREE? ALL suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking for Nick Mason, meets Keith Moon, meets Bonham, meets Karl Palmer, with a bit of Charlie watts rock steady thrown in!
Peace to all, and thank you in advance, Keith
For free your best bet would be drumcore3 free. It sounds decent but you only get one kit.
I have the Slate program you're talking about and have had ZERO problems in reaper.
If you search on YouTube for how to use it in reaper you'll find it may not be as easy as say EzDrummer but once you see how its done it'll seem more ergonomic to use. I love it

Last edited by pattonfreak1; 06-04-2014 at 05:45 AM.
pattonfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #27
martifingers

Er...REASON. (Old version)
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #28
suleiman

I second drumcore 3 free.

Very easy to use. Has a limited number of grooves n one kit but its quality.

Drumica is possibly the most detailed freebie ever made and has one immensely sampled kit and many midi grooves but may not be newbie friendly.

The best commercial bet is MT Power Drumkit 2. Very cheap and easy to use but the kit is pre processed towards a modern rock sound. Its a great kit though with a lot of grooves and built in song arranger.

The most organic sounding commercial one is Volko Ala Turka with four very nice warm sounding kits. But the grooves are oriented towards eastern rhythms.

All the ones i have mentioned NEVER crash in Reaper.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #29
Andy Hamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaJo View Post
That's really great! Unfortunately it doesn't run on Win XP
Completely False - I have SSD and it runs just fine on XP.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #30
Repetition Compulsion

I use slate (3.5ex, got it for 20 bucks on sale) and its been great for me. It has some annoying limitations, mainly (perhaps only) in regards to the size of the kit, but I guess that keeps it realistic to what my drummer actually has available to use in real life? For instance, the kits in my version only include one set of 3 toms and one set of 4 toms. I would greatly enjoy having a 5th tom for that extra huge & low floor tom to use for certain parts. I would also like to be able to include two chinas and three crashes along with a splash, hi-hat & ride, but I can only get so much of that (easily).

But I digress, they are definitely some great sounding kits, VERY easy to use, and have a great amount of room for growth. By that, I mean that you can load up a kit, slap in an included preset, sequence your drums and throw it in a mix. Odds are you can get a great sound doing just that and mixing your instruments/vocals/whatever around the kit. Once you get the urge though, you can take it a lot further with doubling up snare & kick samples, mixing & matching different cymbals etc to get the sound you want, adjusting rooms mics, built in envelopes & distortions & whatnot etc etc etc etc. And then you can route each drum out to a different channel in your daw for further processing and easier fine tuning of the mix.

So yeah, for what you're describing, I would slap my recommendation on there. I'm planning on upgrading to the newest version in the near future. Might wait and see if a 4.5 or 5.0 is going to come out though.

edit: When I originally opened the thread I didn't notice it jumped me to the bottom, so I thought KeithC was the OP & thats what I was responding too. Oops. Still relevant mostly though I guess.

Last edited by Repetition Compulsion; 06-04-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Repetition Compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #31
hux

I'm a huge fan of Jamstix, been using it for years.

http://www.rayzoon.com
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
DVDdoug

Recording Magazine recently reviewed EZ Drummer 2, and before getting into the review of the newest version the author says readers who have submitted their recordings to the magazine over the years have had consistently good results with EZ Drummer. If real (amateur) users are getting good results, that says a lot to me!

My previous post with some quotes from the Recording Magazine article is here.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #33
KeithC

EZ Drummer was my first choice, mainly because I see so many people talking about it, and it's not much more than SS, so I'm still up in the air, but that clip from the article sounds extremely positive for EZD? I think with all the info I'm shoving into my head at a slightly later point in life than most, the combination of ease of use, "Real" sounding kits, and the ability to play what I write, is what I need, is EZ Drummer really EZ?

Thanks Y'all, KC
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #34
brainwreck

Best? No such thing. Economical? Catch a sale, I guess.

I mostly use ez with the vintage kit addon, as it is one of the few dry kits out there. The big room drum sound got old pretty quick for me, and every drum sampler maker seems to be doing it. Big room drums sound really out of place for the majority of the stuff that I like to play.

Someone mentioned ez 2. The only new features that I would use are pitch and mixing pieces. I can mix pieces already, using multiple instances and a little routing, and I wouldn't use the pitch feature very often. Not worth the upgrade price for me.

I have used Superior, Ezdrummer, BFD, BFD Lite, Reason Drum Kits. Out of all of these, I found two kits that I like the sound of - the ez vintage kit, and the yamaha kit from RDK. Drum sound is a personal thing, I think.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #35
DanR53

RS5K (Reaper's sampler) = free
Big Mono drums (from Analogue Drums using just the wav files) = free
RS5K + Popsticks (I like this a lot) from Analogue Drums = $19
DanR53 is offline   Reply With Quote