Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
OpIvy
Human being with feelings

Default Reinstalled W7 and now I got major probs!!!

Just built a new machine- i5 4690k, Asus Z97A, 8GBx Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz.
I previously had Reaper installed on C and my vst's on my audio disk (F:/) so before reinstalling W7 x64, I copied my Reaper folders (as well as Addictive Drums and some others) as backup to restore afterwards thus saving all my pref's, presets, etc. The Reaper folder I copied back is C:/Users/Main/AppData/Roaming

But now I'm not so clever......

After reinstalling everything on C: and load an existing Reaper project, I can't get it to play. Usually the first time I hit play it works but as soon as I stop and try again I get nothing!
The meters on some of the plugins will spike but that's it. Transport bar does move and no sound.

Any ideas what's going on???
Old 08-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
hopi

audio interface issue perhaps?
Old 08-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
OpIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
audio interface issue perhaps?
It's a Roland Quad Capture I've had no problems with for years on the same Win7.
I've tested some more and it's a totally random problem...probably driver related but I've reinstalled them several times and same issue.

Sometimes I load a project it plays, other times not. But I can sometimes get it play by doing various things like opening/ closing Reapers audio device settings, disable/ enable 'Quad Capture' in Windows sound devices, walking away and making a coffee then coming back .....

Given I have the interface set as default device, does this mean the onboard HD Audio drivers are totally irrelevant and not in use?
Maybe I need to go through the Reaper reinstall once again...
Old 08-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
flickervetigo

the problem sounds kinda familiar, like the one I had after I reformatted C and reinstalled windows...

don't know if your computer has a sound card, but the computer's sound card driver --the one installed by windows 7-- was gumming up the works

I reinstalled th realteck driver that had been okay before, and that worked

if I remember right, I had to go to realtek to get the driver, "realtek HD" something or other

Last edited by flickervetigo; 08-08-2015 at 09:36 PM.
flickervetigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
OpIvy

Well I thought you may have been onto something...
I disable the Realtek HD Audio in Device Manager and I'm having more luck with getting projects to play.

But now there's a few seconds lag between pressing play and actual sound and sometimes it stops for a few seconds then continues. I also noticed that most of my cores are around 100% when I have all my vst's/ tracks running. These are projects that played perfectly fine on my previous AMD FX-8350 system so my new one should handle it...

This is doing my head in... I now wonder if it's just a setting. I copied all my Reaper settings back from my old install...
Sample rate is set to 44.1kHz 24-bit WAV
Old 08-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #6
flickervetigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpIvy View Post
Well ...This is doing my head in...
good

glad to hear you're still having trouble... after another week of blood, sweat and beers, you'll get it right and be ever so thankful for the technology...

...but you should reinstall reaper if you haven't done that already

Last edited by flickervetigo; 08-08-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #7
flickervetigo

well, tight shorts --short shorts-- she says, "they deliberately make themselves incompatible with each other"

what does she know?

I guess it's possible

if grassroots music production threatens the empire, and reaper enables grassroots music production...

maybe it depends on roland's philosophy

hard to tell how mparanoid to be, isn't it?

doesn't make much sense from a commercial standpoint, but you never know

Old 08-09-2015, 12:03 AM   #8
flickervetigo

...so you got to be methodical... try to isolate the problem one step at a time
Old 08-09-2015, 12:05 AM   #9
Nystagmus

Did you remember to do your DAW optimizations for Windows?
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:22 AM   #10
beingmf

Did you also backup the Reaper config files (and re-import them )? I'm leaning towards "Anticipative FX ..." as the culprit!?
Old 08-09-2015, 03:24 AM   #11
woodentop

I've just come off the Realtek merry-go-round after fixing my issue in a most surprising manner. The web is loaded with threads from people with Realtekitis, and it can be hard to nail the cause.

Take a look at this page, one of many of its kind:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...tek-audio.html

Maybe something there will help.

I have an XP laptop with a built-in Realtek Vinyl AC90, and periodically the sound driver just vanishes. I re-install, but still no sound. I then have to go into Device manager, get to "update driver", some voodoo happens and the sound is back.

I spent a long time trying to get sound on the same laptop in Windows 7. I tried the XP trick I just described but got "cannot find a better driver than the one currently installed". Further investigation got me to "This device cannot start".

In desperation I tried installing the driver again, without unistalling the first installation. Re-started the laptop and still no sound, so off to device manager, "update driver", then "let me choose", and finally got sound, with no subsequent re-start.

Absolute nonsense, this rigmarole, making no sense at all, not even a little bit of sense, totally zero sense, like all the sense was put into a rusty old bucket and seeped away when nobody was looking.

Maybe you should concentrate on the Realtek driver/s.

I think there's a gloomy forest somewhere in a remote region of the planet, to where the lost souls of burned-out Realtek users drift in search of tranquility.
woodentop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #12
thequietroom

does other software work fine? try something that is cpu intense
you say its a new build. maybe something more "system wide" is going on
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #13
flickervetigo

the thing that's most interesting to me...

if you're writing politically incorrect songs --politically incorrect by imperial standards-- then maybe you're being censored under the cover of "technical problems"

the technology is getting too complicated to understand

the USSR was pretty famous for censoring artists... I don't see why this empire would be any different, especially when they've got all these new tools

they can censor you, and you'll automatically assume that it's a technical problem... and the empire can maintain its mythical commitment to gree speech

if it's not happening yet, it will happen sooner or later

Last edited by flickervetigo; 08-09-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
woodentop

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickervetigo View Post
the thing that's most interesting to me...

if you're writing politically incorrect songs --politically incorrect by imperial standards-- then maybe you're being censored under the cover of "technical problems"

the technology is getting too complicated to understand

the USSR was pretty famous for censoring artists... I don't see why this empire would be any different, especially when they've got all these new tools

they can censor you, and you'll automatically assume that it's a technical problem... and the empire can maintain its mythical commitment to gree speech

if it's not happening yet, it will happen sooner or later

I have to go high into the mountains for at least four months and experience long-term oxygen deprivation before responding fully.

In the meantime, I blame Winnie the Pooh for the OP's issues.

Love and peace to all,

woodentop
Old 08-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #15
flickervetigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodentop View Post
I have to go high into the mountains for at least four months and experience long-term oxygen deprivation before responding fully...
well, "full spectrum dominance" is "full spectrum dominance"...

don't you suppose art is part of the spectrum they intend to dominate?

didn't work for long in the USSR, but maybe with the new tools, this empire can keep it all together for a while longer

the longer the empire lasts, the longer the looting opportunities last, don't you think?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #16
woodentop

Quote:
well, "full spectrum dominance" is "full spectrum dominance"...

don't you suppose art is part of the spectrum they intend to dominate?

didn't work for long in the USSR, but maybe with the new tools, this empire can keep it all together for a while longer

the longer the empire lasts, the longer the looting opportunities last, don't you think?
At my age, the less I think, the better I feel .
Old 08-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #17
flickervetigo

Quote:
At my age, the less I think, the better I feel .
yeah... I'm 72, and I know exactly what you mean

that's why Alzheimer's will be such a comfort
Old 08-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
woodentop

Quote:
yeah... I'm 72, and I know exactly what you mean

that's why Alzheimer's will be such a comfort
Long may you remain humourous!

It's all we have, in stark analysis.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #19
flickervetigo

Quote:

It's all we have, in stark analysis.
maybe the women will save us...

Old 08-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #20
hamish

Hi man, how's it going now?

I had a read over the Asus Z97 mobo page on the asus site. Being 'windows 10 ready' and having a lot of new fangled stuff (especially that one-button optimisation) worries me. You can bet that stuff doesn't apply to the niche market of multi-tracking audio interface users. Did they ever check how it works with Roland Octa capture? I'm guessing no.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #21
morgon

Idk if this is of any use but the realtek drivers in my new i5 win7pro 64 seemed to go missing a couple of days back after I shifted selection from the SPDIF [or whatever, the digital icon thing] of the KA6 to the main outs of it ie no icons in the sound playback dialog box apart from KA6.
After several interim reboots still no show of the realtek icons and no onboard sound, but today when I went to check for them [I usually right click the little speaker icon on desktop taskbar and click 'playback devices'] I chose to left click the same [muted] speaker icon which somehow brought it back. When I plugged the KA6 back in everything seems to work fine now and the SPDIF icon is no longer visible.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #22
OpIvy

Thanks for all the suggestions.
It seems it probably is related to the Realtek drivers as I have left them disabled and can get things to play. But do I even need on-board sound if I have my headphones permanently connected to the interface?

Other problem could be from copying my Reaper folders back...
I backed up the ....AppData/Roaming/Reaper folder and put it back after reinstalling. So really my audio setting should be the same as on my previous install but now I have a different system...maybe my new system doesn't like a particular setting??

Buggered if I know where to go though. I did try Anticipative FX thinking this could be it. Unchecking leads to no playing or very stuttery.
Having it on (like I always had) and a project will play but like I said, there's an annoying lag between pressing play and actually playing.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:19 AM   #23
OpIvy

Things have now improved and I'm getting pretty smooth playback.
Must've been some kind of conflict between the realtek and asio drivers. I uninstalled the realtek ones and bing!...all good.

I since reinstalled the latest realtek drivers and everything has remained sweet.

I now have major dramas losing Addictive Drums from my projects. But that's tomorrows thread....
Thanks for the help!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #24
morgon

Just a quick note: I only got that issue when choosing my outboard soundcard over the onboard realtek sound when gaming or just listening to some music, just as easy I thought as reconnecting h/phones from AI to tower but the realtek icons always disappear when I do that [switch soundcards, though its fine in Reaper] along with the onboard sound, but if I disconnect KA6 from the usb and then left click the little speaker icon [thats now crossed out] that "detecting problems" dialog comes up for a few seconds and then reports the issue as fixed, which it is.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #25
OpIvy

SO in summary... fuck you realtek.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #26
woodentop

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpIvy View Post
SO in summary... fuck you realtek.
More or less, yes, and more more than less.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:21 AM   #27
flickervetigo

I think what happened with my setup (although by then I was at my wit's end) was this:

I wanted to be able to hear the computer output and the interface output at the same time --so I could play along with music from the computer --internet or MP3s or whatever .... so I'd cable the computer headphone output into the interface

with the old windows7/reaktek setup, that worked fine all the ime

with the new widows setup (widows driver), I couldnt get both outputs --computer and interface-- to work togetherreliably...

so I uninstalled the widows driver, installed a new realtek driver and everything worked like I wanted it to

I could hear music from the computer and also hear myself playing into the interface, all at the same time...

the thing I'm thinking about is... maybe that would work for other people ...if all else fails, they should try the realtek driver