Old 07-13-2015, 04:53 AM   #1
ramses
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 10 compatability

Hi, I'm sorry if I'm asking in the wrong forum, but since this relates to the 5th version I thought i'd ask here.

I recently got an offer from microsoft (eeeevvviiiilllll) to upgrade to windows 10 when it is released in the end of Juli, and I wonder if the new Reaper version will be compatible with win 10 from the start? If not, does anyone know how long it might take before it is?

Thanks.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:00 AM   #2
EvilDragon

If it works on W7, it will work on W10, simple as that. MS is great as far as compatibility goes.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:11 AM   #3
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
If it works on W7, it will work on W10, simple as that. MS is great as far as compatibility goes.
Great, thanks!
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
pentecost

indeed. been running both the win10 developer preview and the reaper pre-releases together for months without any problems.

well... no crash conflicts between them anyways. plenty of complaints about both haha
pentecost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Agreed. The download page for distribution of some OSX apps by contrast is an absolute maze of incompatibilities. Sometimes a reputation far outlasts the actual facts.

I can also attest to Reaper compatibility with Windows 10.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #6
airon

That is good to know.

Btw, we might some attention concerning Preview after the 5.0 release. Best indication Yet.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:50 AM   #7
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
That is good to know.

Btw, we might some attention concerning Preview after the 5.0 release. Best indication Yet.
Where's the clue?
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:05 AM   #8
airon

Irc comms. It's a question of getting this ball rolling. Once that Preview functionality is in there, we can build on that. This is central to almost everything else we could do, this temporary buffer that overrides the envelopes for as long as it's activated. The "write touched to time selection/start of project/end of project/back to punch in/etc..." actions are part of the request, and are usable even without the Preview stuff, since Reaper can be made to hang on to your touched values when looping in Latch mode.

I'm optimistic because the penny dropped. And it's likely my fault it didn't drop sooner.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #9
Lazarus

Cool, that's great news! I have a preview mode mostly working with FX parameters and punching to time sel/project start at the mo in Lua but we are talking 60ms per envelope to store it (for a pass mode), seeing whether an envelope is active and setting stuff is string based (yes, I know about Breeder's env stuff for setting, but get stuff is unsupported in Lua at the mo) and there's at the very minimum a delay of a few 10s of ms between touching a control in a touch mode and having it bypassed because the time between defer calls is 30ms itself. So some sneaky points can and do get through into the original envelope when it's in a touch mode.

So a native preview solution would sort all of that out and pave the way for lots of cool stuff!
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
babag

saw this yesterday:

http://betanews.com/2015/07/26/windo...your-computer/

BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
ivansc

Funnily enough that particular "undocumented feature" has been around since win7.
I had a Nvidia card get all confused and mangled up by one of Windows's "updates".
Since I am on Win 8.1 Pro version, apparently I will have the option NOT to install optional drivers and updates under 10.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
ivansc

...and W10 Home Premium is now on my i5 laptop.

Everything works. RME interface, of course...
Old 07-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #13
prezbass

Works fine here- ASUS Bulldozer with AMD 8 core, 32GB RAM and an M-Audio Profire 2626 hooked up to an SIIG Firewire card. Behringer BCF2000, Frontier Designs Tranzport. No problems whatsoever, and I even did it as an upgrade from Win 8.1x64. (I never upgrade- almost always a flatten and reinstall)

Pretty damned painless!
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #14
Bigopigo

Updated from 7.

Everything works: Emu 1820m, Faderport, padKontrol, except Roland products (pcr-500 and FP-7)

None of the old drivers work.

http://www.roland.com/support/support_news/250010

Here is the link to follow the driver release.

http://www.roland.com/support/support_news/250024

Back to my trusty midi cable until the drivers come out.

Cheers.
Bigopigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #15
Serenitynow

I'm waiting on my main desktop DAW but I upgraded to 10 on my laptop. It has REAPER. So far, on the laptop, everything has worked but an error comes up[ at times saying that the project can't be saved. So, I save it and it goes away...then pops up every so often.

What could this be?
Old 07-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #16
ivansc

Yer holdin' y'r mouth wrawng, son...
Old 07-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #17
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post
I'm waiting on my main desktop DAW but I upgraded to 10 on my laptop. It has REAPER. So far, on the laptop, everything has worked but an error comes up[ at times saying that the project can't be saved. So, I save it and it goes away...then pops up every so often.

What could this be?
Where are you saving the projects? Is your user an administrator or just a standard user?
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #18
RobertP

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=164417
Old 08-01-2015, 05:42 AM   #19
Bigopigo

Bad luck with my Edirol PCR-500...

"We are sorry but we have no plan to make it compatible with Windows(R) 10 64-bit Edition / 32-bit Edition"
Bigopigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #20
krahosk

I wonder if my trusty old M-Audio 1010LT work with Windows 10. Haven't tried it. FireStudio Mobile works great. They even announced it on the Presonus website.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #21
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
I wonder if my trusty old M-Audio 1010LT work with Windows 10. Haven't tried it. FireStudio Mobile works great. They even announced it on the Presonus website.
I'm using the M-Audio 24/96 and wondering the same.

Latest driver for both are for Win 7 if I'm not mistaken and both cards are listed under legacy products so we likely won't see any proper Win 10 drivers I guess.

Win 7 driver works for me though on Win 8.1 and so does the WASAPI driver.

Guess I could at least continue to use WASAPI on win 10.

(Thanks Reaper devs for implementing WASAPI )

Last edited by nofish; 08-01-2015 at 09:28 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigopigo View Post

"We are sorry but we have no plan to make it compatible with Windows(R) 10 64-bit Edition / 32-bit Edition"
Doesn't Edirol have a history of not supporting their products with new OS's? Seems like I remember everyone jumping through hoop after hoop around Win7 or Win8 when the Firewire stack changed. Funny how most other manufacturers had no problem with this and if they did, they updated and made their hardware work.

I really think hardware manufacturers should include some type of statement upfront as to their intended support lifecycle BEFORE you have to plunk down the cash for their product. Until then, we should always check their historical behavior (if possible) before purchasing.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:46 AM   #23
Refillable

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Doesn't Edirol have a history of not supporting their products with new OS's? Seems like I remember everyone jumping through hoop after hoop around Win7 or Win8 when the Firewire stack changed. Funny how most other manufacturers had no problem with this and if they did, they updated and made their hardware work.

I really think hardware manufacturers should include some type of statement upfront as to their intended support lifecycle BEFORE you have to plunk down the cash for their product. Until then, we should always check their historical behavior (if possible) before purchasing.
I don't think Edirol/Roland are too bad. They released W7 driver for the UM-550, even if it was released in 2002 (I think).
Refillable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #24
Endisol

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
Agreed. The download page for distribution of some OSX apps by contrast is an absolute maze of incompatibilities. Sometimes a reputation far outlasts the actual facts.

I can also attest to Reaper compatibility with Windows 10.
All the legacy support is both a blessing and a curse... cant break with the old ala Win 8 without a massive backlash.
And its mostly so that Enterprise will upgrade to latest versions.

Mac OS historically has been more nimble and advanced due to smaller install base allowing them to be more brash/experimental - they are infamous for breaking backwards compatibility with new software revisions for this very reason.

Happy Windows user
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:40 AM   #25
Cableaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refillable View Post
I don't think Edirol/Roland are too bad. They released W7 driver for the UM-550, even if it was released in 2002 (I think).
Roland is HORRIBLE.

My 5 year old, top of the line $2500 Piano-controller doesn't even work on Win8.

My 2 Edirol controller are also worthless.

Manufacturers need to be held accountable for this kind of behavior. How hard is it to make a new driver? Must we replace tens of thousands of dollars worth of hardware, every time an important new OS comes out?

- Sorry, I'm venting a little, but I'm REALLY pissed about this.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:24 AM   #26
ivansc

Kinda like car manufacturers.... They reckon eol=end of support for most stuff, in spite of spares sales making up an increasingly large percentage of their cash flow these days.

Makes you wonder how many of rolands custom chips get ONE manufacturing run & once the "overs" are gone, the product is gone.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:41 AM   #27
gemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
great information !

I have it also.

Thanks !
Old 09-15-2015, 05:01 AM   #28
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Manufacturers need to be held accountable for this kind of behavior. How hard is it to make a new driver? Must we replace tens of thousands of dollars worth of hardware, every time an important new OS comes out?
I have resolved this by buying only controllers that, in addtion to the USB, have normal MIDI connections.

Or if is doesn't have normal MIDI, it has to use "Class compliant" USB-driver, meaning it works in any computer that has an OS that supports USB, without additional drivers. MIDI is one if the device classes inside the USB specification for this reason.

I can't emphasize how many times this has saved my devices from early retirement.

but it's business, E-MU for example hasn't updated their 1212 series PCI drivers since they've brought a new model with PCI-e connectivity etc. Would be a bad business decision to continue support for old models that do the same thing.

Sonic Core has support for their old interfaces, but you have to pay for it. And I consider that to be fair thing for devices that are as powerful as they are and over 15 years old.

And MOTU is one of the manufacturers that have very long product life time. They have updated drivers for 99% of their models to this day since the device itself is still on sale. It's one of the reasons MOTU is a professional brand from which you pay a bit premium for.

I use their MIDI interfaces because of that fact
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #29
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Why?

If you think driver support for audio gear is bad, you should take a look at other professional gear. Nobody would upgrade the OS on a computer that's linked to a CNC router, a medical device etc. just because MS or Apple decided have a new release.

I know several audio engineers that use their DAW computers in a very different manner than the general computer user. Sleep is off, OS doesn't get upgrades because it's not connected to the internet anyhow.

If you're a professional, you can spare a second computer for that professional task. After all, computers are cheap, aren't they?

It's not that I'm against the idea of accountability an sich. But I can't see how that would work in practice.

Besides, what really pisses me off is gear that doesn't work. On any OS, with any driver. And there's still far too much of that junk around. Just look at the very cheap USB mics and headsets. These add to the growing mountain of electronic's debris that goes from China to Africa already.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #30
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigopigo View Post

If you have MIDI in on your interface that should work?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #31
mabian

Another confirmation of complete Win10 compatibility.

RME drivers kickass

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #32
prezbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezbass View Post
Works fine here- ASUS Bulldozer with AMD 8 core, 32GB RAM and an M-Audio Profire 2626 hooked up to an SIIG Firewire card. Behringer BCF2000, Frontier Designs Tranzport. No problems whatsoever, and I even did it as an upgrade from Win 8.1x64. (I never upgrade- almost always a flatten and reinstall)

Pretty damned painless!
I should have updated this- I ended up doing an FNR (Flatten 'n Reinstall) on my main studio DAW with Win10. The upgrade worked ok, and Reaper seemed fine, but I actually had some issues with some apps that didn't seem to dig the upgrade. FNR fixed all my issues.

BTW- something I started doing recently and thought I'd pass it along- it has saved my butt, too: Start creating restore points once you get all your baseline stuff installed. For me, that means:

OS, updates, system drivers
Audio Drivers (Focusrite Saffire drivers) and configure it
Reaper, SWS Extensions, restore my Reaper settings (menus, toolbars, etc)
- MAKE A RESTORE POINT -

Install more stuff, etc.

Lather, rinse, repeat

Then, if anything goes wrong later, you can revert in just a couple of minutes, and restore points do not cause you to lose files- only registry installed apps- so it's a really nice safety net.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #33
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I recently updated to Windows 10 on my main DAW PC and it is working flawlessly with REAPER and my RME Fireface. All plugins work as expected too. No license issues for paid plugins and I have heaps of those.

All up, this has been a positive step and fixed a few niggly issues I had with Windows 8. I did an upgrade install over the current Win8 install too without any problems.

I much prefer the GUI to the Win8 GUI. That was the one main gripe I had with Win8. I never liked the flat look. The lack of shadows under windows was actually a workflow annoyance for me. It is MUCH easier to instantly recognise a window open over something else when it has a shadow under it and I was very relieved to see MS have reinstated that.
I do really like the Win7 Aero theme and hope MS bring that fully back with a Win10 update. It is in the start menu and a few other places but would be great to have back in all the windows too.

The most important things (obviously) for a DAW PC are stability and efficiency and so far Win10 is all good in that regard.

It is also pretty easy to disable all the internet data usage stuff which is the first thing I did given my very limited data plan so overall, I am very happy with this upgrade.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #34
innuendo

Even if upgrading made sense for me, I wouldn't do this, even if just for the sneaky way they force this upgrade onto people. Also remember that on Win10, you are no longer in control over your computer, Microsoft is. That is not an exaggeration, just consider that automatic updates are mandatory (unless you use the Pro or Enterprise editions), and that you generally have no idea what is being updated, since unlike in previous Windows versions, Microsoft does not make this information public. Too bad to be a Windows user these days, since older versions are being forcefully phased out, while the new version is designed to transform you into a product.
innuendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #35
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
Even if upgrading made sense for me, I wouldn't do this, even if just for the sneaky way they force this upgrade onto people. Also remember that on Win10, you are no longer in control over your computer, Microsoft is. That is not an exaggeration, just consider that automatic updates are mandatory (unless you use the Pro or Enterprise editions), and that you generally have no idea what is being updated, since unlike in previous Windows versions, Microsoft does not make this information public. Too bad to be a Windows user these days, since older versions are being forcefully phased out, while the new version is designed to transform you into a product.
The auto updates can be easily turned off in all versions. I'm running the home version and have auto updates off. I can still manually check for updates, look at what they are and choose which ones I want to install just as I could with any other Windows version.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #36
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
The auto updates can be easily turned off in all versions. I'm running the home version and have auto updates off. I can still manually check for updates, look at what they are and choose which ones I want to install just as I could with any other Windows version.
I think that's a recent change, and it's only *app* updates. IE not *all* updates.... but not sure, it's very confusing. And that's part of the problem - more and more "options" and control are being removed from the useer.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29776...p-updates.html
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #37
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCipher View Post
I think that's a recent change, and it's only *app* updates. IE not *all* updates.... but not sure, it's very confusing. And that's part of the problem - more and more "options" and control are being removed from the useer.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29776...p-updates.html
If you set the internet connection you are using to metered connection (which I have because I have limited data allowance), it won't download any updates automatically.