Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
arkima
Human being with feelings

Default Akai MPD32 midi & Reaper 32 process locking up?

Hi folks,

I've been having a few crashes and lock ups with Reaper here and there. One of my long living locking issues - I think I've caught on to it.I'm running XP64, and an Akai MPD32 with Reaper 3.72 which generally works good and am fairly happy with.

The problem seems to be between the MPD32's midi link and some 32bit (x86) Reaper processes, where they will lock up when exiting out of Reaper (x86) (or exiting Reaper (x64) if there is a 32bit bridging process happening). I've also spotted that if I do not physically disconnect the MPD32's Midi USB cable (and re-connect it) - there usually is an extra instance of Reaper x86 (or the x86 bridge process I think) - so it appears to be still locked up from a previous execution.

Has anyone experienced/solved this kind of lock up/crash problem before?

Just curious how to fix this...

ps- I believe the MPD32 uses plug & play midi drivers.
arkima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
strunkdts

just out of interest. Did this ever sort itself out, Arkima?
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
arkima

Hey strunkdts,

How are you going btw? Man, this 4 alpha stuff is amazing! (I had a peak and might try to find bugs etc..)

Anyway back to topic - no not really. Since it has only been a pain if an x86 plug doesn't like being bridged (Sampletank 2.x mainly), I've just been working around it by not using it with Reaper x64. I think there may be some stability issues running that way with Sampletank itself - I've had the odd crash when using it in stand alone and using Rearoute to feed the audio to Reaper x64.

So, yeah if there's a crash no matter what the bridging settings - my MPD32 seems to lock up the(/any) reaper_host32.exe instance running from exiting until I disconnect the MPD32.

It's the combination of XP64, Reaper_host32.exe, x86 plugs like Sampletank, and my MPD32 - I think...

So I've been trying to use Reaper (x86) for drafts, and experiments etc and Reaper x64 for final mixing..

Thanks for asking, any tips?

-a

Last edited by arkima; 12-02-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
strunkdts

no tips, sorry.

Im curious because im looking into a new addition for my set up and the MPD32 was one of them. I found this thread after reading about sync issues with MPCs and Machinedrum....

just sorting out whats what.
(i have issues with ReaRoute also. Freezing and crashing and whacking out my interface (Edirol FA-101)

Thankyou and yeah, Im fine, except for girl troubles...but thats another story
Old 12-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
arkima

Oh cool,

Well, aside from my issue with having to disconnect the MPD32 to release that process upon a crash - There's not a lot of negatives I have to share about my experience using the MPD32. Overall, I'm still quite happy with it - though there are a lot of products out there that seem to be pretty awesome.

Pros and cons rundown from my own experience so far:

Cons:
-The above issue that may be resolved if/when I upgrade my OS as it's pretty much plug n' play on the driver side.
-The Vyzex editor installation took me a few runs before I got everything working although it's fantastic for linking and editing NN and CC assignments to the MPD32 and saving/editing Presets for it - I can't get rid of an error box that I send to the task bar and can not close it without exiting the Vyzex Editor.
-Their support is there but not amazing - both Akai Pro and Vyzex/Psicraft. Although, I haven't needed to contact anyone for support so far,just read their forums and website product info/support when a need arose.

Pros:
-The hardware is well made, sturdy and has been reliable.
-The MPC type pads when tweaked to suit are really responsive and expressive. Pressure sensitivity/after-touch comes in nicely.
-All of the Pads, sliders, buttons (aside from a few), encoder knobs and transport controls can be assigned to a heap of things.
-No issues for syncing with Reaper that I've used.
-gives you an extra midi in and a midi out for connecting up the 5pin variety of midi hardware into your pc/reaper etc..
-I now am use to and like the hands on editing on the unit itself (mapping notes etc)

I have thought at times though that a more no frills type MPC Pad style midi controller from Akai and perhaps something like what Novation offer for Daw/Software/Plug-in controllers could be somewhat better - but that's just a thought.. From what I've read and watched I think the Automap software that Novation use with their midi controllers are the bomb!

Hey hang in there with the girl trouble mate - Things always come good one way or another...

-a
Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
strunkdts

great review!

not sure about the girl thing.....not this time.

and i look forward to what you can, or may, knock together for an Armour v4.

peace

Last edited by strunkdts; 12-02-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
arkima

Hey,

Glad that my feedback about the MDP32 might be useful to you - Overall, I love the pads and the unit has definitely held it's value in my set up. Had it about a year and a half now I think.

Sorry to hear that you're going through a bit of a rough patch strunkdts.. I wish you better weather my friend.

I'm still in total awe on what's developing with the new GUI/theme stuff. Man...I am under the impression that the possibilities are pretty much endless (it's boggling). I haven't yet got a grasp on some of what I've been taking in. I've been planning to do more work on the Armor theme idea, so - I'll try and see if I can give it good knock. I'd feel silly not to

Anyway, Happy hunting on the new gear!

-a
Old 05-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
Tristan Young

Default Behavior is happening in Reaper v5, Windows 10, MPD32

Hello,

I know this is an old thread.

Since upgrading to Windows 10, my MPD32 has been having issues with Reaper as well. Worked fine in Windows 7.

It works fine with Reaper until I try to exit Reaper, then I get a process which freezes/hangs until I unplug my MPD32. Happens with or without VST bridging.

It only happens if I actually touch the MPD32's control surfaces. So long as I leave them alone and no midi data passes through to Reaper, then everything is fine. The moment I hit a pad, rotate an encoder, etc, then I get a frozen task upon exit.

I was using a 64bit instrument - The Grandeur. No other plugins. Has happened with other plugins.

After discussing with Akai, it seems like there might be a bug in Reaper.

In any case, I think I'm going to look at the Behringer X-Touch Universal for the motorized faders, timecode and transport control. I'll probably pick up a different pad solution.
Tristan Young is offline   Reply With Quote