Old 01-26-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
reapertribal
Human being with feelings

Default Consolidate Midi Items

Hi
In Ableton Live when you edit a midi clip,for example split it into two midi clips you can convert them into new midi clips independents by apply the comand consolidate midi.
In Reaper if you split a midi item into for example three new midi items if you want to have those three midi items as independents how can you consolidate them ?
Thanks
reapertribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
witti

Do you mean 'export' ?

This macro can export selected, trimmed 'raw' audio and midi items. (raw=no item fx, fades, envelopes, etc.)

-sws: save selected item(s)
-sws: select only track(s) with selected item(s)
-item navigation: move cursor to start of items
-edit: copy items
-track: set first selected track as last touched track
-sws/aw: paste
-item navigation: move cursor to start of items
-item: remove fx for item take
-take: duplicate active take
-sws/s&m: hide take mute envelopes
-sws/s&m: hide take pan envelopes
-sws/s&m: hide take pitch envelope
-sws/s&m: hide take volume envelopes
-take: crop to active take in items
-item: render items to new take
-convert active take Midi to .mid file reference
-item: remove items
-track: unselect all tracks
-sws: restore saved selected item(s)
witti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
nofish

Reading this

http://sonicbloom.net/en/ableton-liv...idating-clips/

I guess the Reaper equivalent would be 'glue'.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
witti

Glue would glue them together as one file again, if you have a couple of items selected. The macro i've posted will export individual files. You can also select a mixture of audio and midi files. Maybe an eel script would be more elegant...
Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
reapertribal

Hi
Witti & nofish thanks to your help.
Witti thanks for your macro.I will try it
I explain with more detail that i would like to do and sure you can tell me if is possible in Reaper or not.
Imagine that i have one track.I import a long midi file or i create a long midi item in the roll editor.
I edit it,for example i split it into 40 midi items.
Now i want to export them.
In Reaper there are two ways to export midi files:
1-In the main window (Arrange) File-Export Project Midi...This way is good for export the entire track as one midi (not my desire) or the entire song in midi as multitrack midi file (not my desire)
2-Double click over a midi item opens the piano roll view.File-Export to new midi file...
This is my desire but is very hard if you have for example 100 midi items in the track and export one by one,open the piano roll export....in addition there is no shortcut for File-Export to new midi file...
I have tried with in preference-media-midi-create new midi item as: checked box .MID files and checked box .MID file reference but this does not work for existing midi items in old projects.
In addition if you create new project with this setting if you create a new midi item in the project and save it you can find that midi item in the project folder but if you split that midi item into more midi items those are not reflected in the folder.
Excuse me.The question is...
-Is possible to export independents midi items of a track at once or in a fast way by macro-comands or scripts or anyway?

Thanks

Last edited by reapertribal; 01-26-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
witti

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapertribal View Post
-Is possible to export independents midi items of a track at once or in a fast way by macro-comands or scripts or anyway?

Thanks
Yes, the macro can do that. I use it a lot and for me it's working fine. Just select all the files you want to export. But something is going on the js forum. X-Raym is preparing a script which can individually glue items if i got everything right.

Last edited by witti; 01-26-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
reapertribal

Hi
Witti fantastic!!! Thanks .I will test it now.Please tell me if i must set in Preferences-

Media-Midi-Create new Midi item as: checked box
Midi items (in project,recommended) or .MID files
Midi items (in project,recommended) or .MID file reference

Hi again
Witti is amazing!!!! i have tested and works perfect
is indifferent the setting in preference.I have tested with checked Midi items (in project,recommended) and another time with .MID files and both works perfect.
The only drawback that i see is the way of are exported the names of the midi items.
For example i have one midi item named moon.mid
When is exported its name become moon render MIDI 001.mid instead its original name moon.mid

A lot of thanks for your great help Witti.I though that i asked for a miracle but i see the powerful of Reaper & you
Best

Last edited by reapertribal; 01-26-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
witti

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapertribal View Post
The only drawback that i see is the way of are exported the names of the midi items.
Yeah, that's the reaper way. I think you can add one of the available 'rename' actions somewhere in the macro, but that would mean that you have to 'confirm' all the individual exports. Which isn't really desirable.

I personally would recommend to set the preferences as default to have 'in-project' midi files only. Makes life much easier. (e.g. no confirmation pop-up when closing the midi editor and you are sure that your are not overwriting stuff accidentally, etc. ...)

(You can use a rename utility for the exported files. I use 'Rename-It!' where i've created a couple of presets to rename my reaper exported items.)

(Edit: I think this macro can live without the action 'Crop to active take')

Last edited by witti; 01-26-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
reapertribal

Hi
Witti really is amazing,it saves much time thank you so much
About Rename-It i think is windows software but i will search some similar for mac.
Very very helpful your macro
Best
Mario

* yes there is RenameIt for mac:
http://appleweblog.com/2014/04/rename-it
anothers:
http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutori...mac--mac-46999

Last edited by reapertribal; 01-26-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
witti

The mac version looks (of course) very different. In the windows app i can save presets. Don't know if the mac one also does it. There are for sure a couple of other rename utilities out there if this one doesn't suit your needs. Will try the X-RAM script when he releases it. Maybe it's possible then to add some auto-naming tasks...
Old 01-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
reapertribal

Hi
I am testing NameChanger and is good & free but of course I will be attentive to the X-RAM script
About (Edit: I think this macro can live without the action 'Crop to active take')
I don,t know what really does but i leave it as is your macro because works perfect.
Witti a lot of thanks for your great help
Best
Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #12
hopi

glue IS the thing... but you have to only select one of the midi items and then glue it to itself... [sounds odd I know]... Glue makes that one item unique to itself.

you could do that to each item then control+alt drag and drop them to a folder... then name them as desired

now if you have Glue as an Icon in a toolbar, and you rt clk that icon it goes into it's armed state... [until you left clk it again]

so you can split many midi items to taste and then arm Glue and just clk on each item to Glue them to separate items.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #13
reapertribal

Hi
Yes,nofish & hopi,about my Thread´s originl question "Consolidate Midi Items" in Reaper compared with Ableton´s Consolidate midi clips is the function Glue but my real goal (but not good expressed) was export individual midi items of a track at once and this is obtained perfectly by the macro of Witti
Thanks to all.This forum is wonderful to learn the power of Reason
Best