Old 03-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
shemp
Human being with feelings

Default New Polyphia song - my son's band

Here is the latest from my son's band. He did the recording and mix himself. All REAPER mostly free plugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=5IB1uiUx1uQ
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
xethicx

Is that a real drummer? sounds like software or at least an E-kit

Some nice tones and great playing on here though, I like shreddies.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Cosmic

Thats great!

Oh Gawd...the skill!

What a guitarist!

Kudos to yer son and his mate

Cant tell the difference between either of them though..they both wig out on the same modes.

Last edited by Cosmic; 03-07-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Cosmic

They need this lad.

He is HUNGRY.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xethicx View Post
Is that a real drummer? sounds like software or at least an E-kit

Some nice tones and great playing on here though, I like shreddies.
yeah drums are sampled using Steven Slate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Thats great!

Oh Gawd...the skill!

What a guitarist!

Kudos to yer son and his mate

Cant tell the difference between either of them though..they both wig out on the same modes.
thanks!!

Quote:
They need this lad.

He is HUNGRY.
yeah I liked him too out of all the auditions they got. They are toying with staying instrumental.... But a vocalist would get them much farther IMO.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Aron-san

Well produced/mixed and great guitar work!

Quote:

They need this lad.

He is HUNGRY.
+1
Aron-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
kindafishy

Jesus, man. When I first started this, I was like "Oh, it's all muffled sounding and really low", so I cranked it up. Almost ripped my freakin' head off when it came in full bore!

Pretty awesome production all around. Killer players. Great hair. Especially on the drummer. He's like Bieber in the front, party in the back.

Wow, man the solo near the end of the song. Is that your boy?

I am quite digging this. They math rock perfectly, but they also have great feel, and they can groove, which just takes it to another level.

Wow, I hate myself. I can't imagine having this level of mastery over an instrument at such a young age. I seriously couldn't complete even a single run that I heard in this tune.

Is your son looking for feedback on the mix at all? I'm finding the drums kind of unlinked from the mix a little. They are sort of beside it instead of really gelling with it well. Is there such a thing as too much clarity and separation? I think that's the sense I'm getting. Other than that, I'm pretty blown away.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
kindafishy

Quote:

They need this lad.

He is HUNGRY.
Another +1.

...but don't touch the freakin' pop filter.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Sambo Rouge

Impressive stuff --- very nice mix ---- I especially like the juxtapositioning of the heavy and the delicate.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
dea-man

Default My two cents..................

There is little doubt about the mastery of the guitars in this, cut but there is just something about the mix I cannot feel comfortable with.

It's as if the guitars are mixed so ou front, that only they are present. Which may not be a bad thing from a guitarist perspective, because this is really great, guitar shredding stuff.

As someone mentioned before, the band, and mix, just seems distant, and unrealated to the guitar shredding that's going on.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
xethicx

For me as a metal fan, player, composer and producer here are my thoughts.

Pros: The playing is seamless to say the least, there is some real deal young kid metal players in this world right now all over youtube, its insane to see young kids with such a hold on metal, your kid and his pals are no exception whatsoever, theyre all extremely talented. The lead guitarist plays like someone three times his age and experience. The guitar and bass tones are also completely stellar, what exactly was used for the guitar tones? And once again holy fuck that lead guitar player can play, its just ridiculous, Ive heard lesser playing on 80s shrapnel records and thats saying a lot.

Cons: the drums, for starters you can really tell that this was recorded and mixed by a guitarist hehe,,, you said they were sampled meaning the drummer played and they sampled his tracks through slate? If that's so, there's absolutely no human feel whatsoever in the drums, in metal I believe in ONLY sampling the kick drum and have everything else natural because while its obviously a ton more work, it pays off in the long run. The playing also sounds very robotic, very software, however if that is really the drummer playing through software samples, holy shit give that kid mad props as well. The drums as they are now, I would bring the kick down a bit and everything else up a bit then it might seem a little bigger.

All in all I give this a big thumbs up but the drums turn me off a bit, it's missing that OOMPH and depth that the drums should normally bring to a metalcore / Djent or any metal recording for that matter.

You have one hell of a talented kid there man, SERIOUSLY talented. I hope none of this comes off as negative as I am only trying to help out.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by xethicx View Post
Cons: the drums, for starters you can really tell that this was recorded and mixed by a guitarist hehe,,,
LOL. That was my initial thought as well.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
suleiman

Aaaah now i know what happens when dads dig meshuggah !
Seriously amazing shred factor . Fingers crossed for a kick ass vocalist coz the music is top notch .

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
JesseK

Came across this band on an article on metalsucks.net and i instantly fell in love with the music. Shreddy, melodic, djenty, straight up heavy! Ah good work I enjoyed the mix personally. Kudos Polyphia! Im def gonna keep following you guys, I hope Sumerian or Basick records hears about you guys soon!
JesseK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
ScottyD

Wow man. His guitar skills are out of this world. So much passion is his playing, you can hear it. Really cool composition as well. What's he using for his guitar "rig"?

-ScottyD
Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
xethicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
Came across this band on an article on metalsucks.net and i instantly fell in love with the music. Shreddy, melodic, djenty, straight up heavy! Ah good work I enjoyed the mix personally. Kudos Polyphia! Im def gonna keep following you guys, I hope Sumerian or Basick records hears about you guys soon!
Unless they tour like 12 months out of the year, Ash and his boys probably wont even look at em but they sure as shit talented enough to be on Sumerian.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
pattonfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
Wow man. His guitar skills are out of this world. So much passion is his playing, you can hear it. Really cool composition as well. What's he using for his guitar "rig"?

-ScottyD
pretty sure scottie used an axe-fx for this.

@shemp - excuse me but I have to get my balls sewn back on after listening to this
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
shemp

Thanks all. Sorry, been out of town...

They have talked with Sumerian but I'm pretty sure they want them to have a singer. No sure of the status though.

All guitars are Podfarm. They have an Axe-FX and he tried to re-amp thru it but he didn't get it settled in time. That thing is a beast.....

As far as the mix, yeah I'll pass on all the suggestions. This was one of his first mixes and he rushed it so they could release the song. I yelled at him for that. nonetheless, I think he did a decent job.

Drums are sampled using Steven Slate. Kick is outfront for sure, they like it that way. But I agree the rest of the drum mix can be improved. As well as the guitars being a tad louder in some spots.

Thanks again fellas!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #19
shemp

oh and yes. The drummer plays with that precision. It's insane really.

and the solos are split between both guitarists. If you watch the video, the soloist's picture comes up during his respective solo.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
This was one of his first mixes and he rushed it so they could release the song.
Pretty astonishing fact, right there.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #21
smueske

This is fucking awesome! I love metal but often it is just solid wanking and that gets old really quick. I value variety, diversity and cleverness (without being overly clever), and I think this band has it. A lot of passion in the guitar playing -- both players. Love the transitions into electronic-style passages and the willingness to try different textures. One dude you should check out is The Algorithm. Look him up on Bandcamp -- dude is the ultimate metal / electronic combo. Impossible to describe, really, but definitely mind-blowing.

Anyway, I am so glad I listened to this track. I think this band has a bright future. And they're so young and innocent looking! They look like a pop act. Ha! It's refreshing that they don't care for the typical metal image either. Wow! What a song! Thanks for posting.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
Timothy Lawler

What a band. I watched a few of their vids. The Bach Dm Concerto was my favorite. In one of the vids they each talked about the band and they showed real class. Congrats Shemp for having a son with such musical skill. Best of luck to them.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #23
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
This is fucking awesome! I love metal but often it is just solid wanking and that gets old really quick. I value variety, diversity and cleverness (without being overly clever), and I think this band has it. A lot of passion in the guitar playing -- both players. Love the transitions into electronic-style passages and the willingness to try different textures. One dude you should check out is The Algorithm. Look him up on Bandcamp -- dude is the ultimate metal / electronic combo. Impossible to describe, really, but definitely mind-blowing.

Anyway, I am so glad I listened to this track. I think this band has a bright future. And they're so young and innocent looking! They look like a pop act. Ha! It's refreshing that they don't care for the typical metal image either. Wow! What a song! Thanks for posting.
Thanks Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
What a band. I watched a few of their vids. The Bach Dm Concerto was my favorite. In one of the vids they each talked about the band and they showed real class. Congrats Shemp for having a son with such musical skill. Best of luck to them.
Yeah I forgot about that Bach rendition. Figures you would like that one
Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
monolith

I'm excited for these fellas!! They have a seasoned sound at a young age. Really great work!!