Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
TheDarkSide10
Human being with feelings

Default Help with clicks

So I have reinstalled the older version of reaper its working a bit better but having clicks inspite of the following, I am running at 288 samples and 15 tracks, with a couple instances of "aileno".

1. Turned of wireless adapter
2.Turned of acpi complient batery system
3. Turned of system sounds
4. Changed graphics scheme to classic
5. Increased the page file to recommended size
6. Priority to Back ground services
7. High perfomance Battery mode, usb never power off option, disk stops after 800 hours (no never option that I can see)

I have windows 7, 4gb and i3 M450 2.4Ghz dual core on a sony vaio laptop with 288GB hard disk.

My cpu utilisation during the clicks is only 15% or at 256 samples is only 22%

Reaper is now crashing when I try to change one of the vstis I have loaded.

My memory utilisation when running the project was
1800 MB used
1520 MB in stanby cache (not sure what this is)
338MB reserved for hardware
183MB of free Ram

Is this a problem that can be solved by more ram? I am getting a fast track 2 how would I turn of the sound card and use the fast track with either its default drivers or with asio? Would it even make any difference? Why is reaper host still stopping?
TheDarkSide10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
TheDarkSide10

Guys still waiting for any advice. Is this a sound card or Ram issue? Or reaper issue?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
calico6

First port of call would be to check video acceleration settings, start by disabling all direct draw and 3d acceleration. Also to turn off the onboard audio you'll need to go into the bios and disable it (something will be listed like AC97 audio or similar) then install fast track. Sounds like it could be driver conflict issues you're having. Depending on the vsti I think that's probably a seperate issue. Cheers, Cal.

Last edited by calico6; 04-02-2011 at 12:04 AM.
calico6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
calico6

An additional note to the above post - Ensure any type of 'turbo' boost setting for graphics in the bios is set to off.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
TheDarkSide10

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico6 View Post
First port of call would be to check video acceleration settings, start by disabling all direct draw and 3d acceleration. Also to turn off the onboard audio you'll need to go into the bios and disable it (something will be listed like AC97 audio or similar) then install fast track. Sounds like it could be driver conflict issues you're having. Depending on the vsti I think that's probably a seperate issue. Cheers, Cal.
Hi I dont know exactly what the BIOS is but gather its something you can get into when youstart your computer? Would disabling HD in device manager not work? I dont know how to disable it in bios. Also My video card dosent seem to have a turn off hardware acceletration, apparently as I run windows 7 it is required and for the 64 bit version of vista the compatability window bit where you can select to disable themeing is greyed out.

How do you disable direct draw and 3d acceleration? On that render a little bit of the clicking was present in the rendered mix although only at a couple of points and was much less than when actually playing the song.

On another note I quite like sonar LE but the great thing about reaper was that someone like me could at least do some basic stuff without having to read anything albeit I was going to read the manaual at some point. In sonar certain preset on certain pluggins have a similar noise, which is like a click, but then other presets are fine for the same vsti.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
TheDarkSide10

Quote:
An additional note to the above post - Ensure any type of 'turbo' boost setting for graphics in the bios is set to off.
Why is this important and how would I go about disabling it, is it safe? Will it result in system instability. Please reply as I am a noob at this kind of stuff.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
calico6

Hi TheDarkdSide10, to get into the bios you hold down the delete button while the machine is booting up. Don't know what vs win you are on but to turn off video acceleration in xp you go to your 'control panel' and click on 'display' then click 'settings' and 'advanced'. Click on the 'troubleshoot tab' and lower the hardware acceleration setting to where 'disable direct draw and 3d acceleration' notification appears. The reason for doing is video acceleration is not needed for daw work and the video card will hog massive amounts of bandwith on the pci bus (which the sound card uses). I had huge impovements after disabling this. The other thing that can cause you problems is the video card driver itself, if that is the case all you can do is try different vs until you get the best result.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
TheDarkSide10

Quote:
Hi TheDarkdSide10, to get into the bios you hold down the delete button while the machine is booting up. Don't know what vs win you are on but to turn off video acceleration in xp you go to your 'control panel' and click on 'display' then click 'settings' and 'advanced'. Click on the 'troubleshoot tab' and lower the hardware acceleration setting to where 'disable direct draw and 3d acceleration' notification appears. The reason for doing is video acceleration is not needed for daw work and the video card will hog massive amounts of bandwith on the pci bus (which the sound card uses). I had huge impovements after disabling this. The other thing that can cause you problems is the video card driver itself, if that is the case all you can do is try different vs until you get the best result.
Windows 7, what is "different vs", the change setting is greyed out. Mabye accesible via bios, what am I looking for in the bios to disable the sound and how would I exit it?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
Fabian

Run dpclat.exe (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) while running Reaper to see if the clicks coincide with red spikes. If so, there is some service that misbehaves and you need to track it down. If not, then you can start fiddle with the bios...
Old 04-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
SiKo

Default Ok, good advice, but ...

Shouldnt Reap just run without crackles, like Live, Cubase, Sonar, etc. etc. run out of the box?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #11
junioreq

256 samples is pretty low. Crank it to around 2k does it crackle?

"Guys still waiting for any advice. Is this a sound card or Ram issue? Or reaper issue?" - definitely not a reaper issue..

What sound card are you even running? Running 256 on a stock laptop card prob wont work..

Also looks like your alieno is a Synthmaker plugin, usually spells trouble for these types of things...

Last edited by junioreq; 04-05-2011 at 01:57 AM.
junioreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 AM   #12
calico6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide10 View Post
Windows 7, what is "different vs", the change setting is greyed out. Mabye accesible via bios, what am I looking for in the bios to disable the sound and how would I exit it?
My bad, sounds like from your level of experience poking around in the bios is probably not such a good idea. If I were you I would spend a bit of time googling how to set up a machine for daw work for your specific OS. Learning about bios settings can found on any of the decent pc enthusiast sites such as tom's hardware here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bios-a-z,1200.html. Whether this will solve your problems is another thing, as juniorreq says try a different latency setting. I would have thought your machine could handle what you are trying to do but maybe not, i3 mobile cpu's look like they have the grahics integrated into the cpu (not so good for daw work) thats why you can't change the settings. See if anyone else on the net is using the same cpu for daw work and having audio problems or limitations. Cheers, Cal.

Last edited by calico6; 04-05-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
TheDarkSide10

Quote:
My bad, sounds like from your level of experience poking around in the bios is probably not such a good idea. If I were you I would spend a bit of time googling how to set up a machine for daw work for your specific OS. Learning about bios settings can found on any of the decent pc enthusiast sites such as tom's hardware here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bios-a-z,1200.html. Whether this will solve your problems is another thing, as juniorreq says try a different latency setting. I would have thought your machine could handle what you are trying to do but maybe not, i3 mobile cpu's look like they have the grahics integrated into the cpu (not so good for daw work) thats why you can't change the settings. See if anyone else on the net is using the same cpu for daw work and having audio problems or limitations. Cheers, Cal.
Thanks the guy who said run Dpc though has annoyed me cos I already started with saying stuff I disabled by running latency mon yet I still get the clicks. At least your saying that integrated graphics isn't great for daw work, some dude on the microsoft forums claimed that what cpu you had or intetegrated graphics made no difference to running daws when I was asking him if a desktop with a Pentium dual Core E5800 3.2 ghz processor and dedicated 1gb graphics but no L3 cahce and double L2 cache of my i3 processor would be better (As dedicated graphics good, faster clock speed good, no L3 cache bad).

I have done tweaks but I would have thought that at 20% CPU utilisation no clicks should be heard. I have increase to 444 which helped a bit but really the CPU and Ram should be up to it, and its worse in reaper than in sonar, so something dodgy about reaper too.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
TheDarkSide10

Calico Like I said I cant drag the graphics acceleration thing down because windows 7 requires it or something, it is greyed out. But will see if I can disable the graphics boost thing you mention.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
TheDarkSide10

Quote:
Originally Posted by junioreq View Post
256 samples is pretty low. Crank it to around 2k does it crackle?

"Guys still waiting for any advice. Is this a sound card or Ram issue? Or reaper issue?" - definitely not a reaper issue..

What sound card are you even running? Running 256 on a stock laptop card prob wont work..

Also looks like your alieno is a Synthmaker plugin, usually spells trouble for these types of things...
Thanks maybe down to the alieno being a bit buggy then? I am running the realtek that came with the system until I get a fast track 2 or steinberg Ci1 cant decide between them. It crackles all the time it just dosent sound so bad after 256 samples but no removal of all the crackle no matter what sample size. Is 10ms latency audible when playing a keyboard or would that be undetectable? I fear though its got something to do with Intel rapid storage which I can stop but you cant disable in registry or you get a blue screen. Incidently how do you eliminate ACPI.sys completely turning off the driver for the complient battery system reduces the dpc and Irs calls to a much smaller level but just as with DXGkrnl.sys and NDIS.sys there is still a very small residual negative effect caused by these drivers even when "off" in device manager and or services.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #16
calico6

Quote:
Thanks the guy who said run Dpc though has annoyed me cos I already started with saying stuff I disabled by running latency mon yet I still get the clicks. At least your saying that integrated graphics isn't great for daw work, some dude on the microsoft forums claimed that what cpu you had or intetegrated graphics made no difference to running daws when I was asking him if a desktop with a Pentium dual Core E5800 3.2 ghz processor and dedicated 1gb graphics but no L3 cahce and double L2 cache of my i3 processor would be better (As dedicated graphics good, faster clock speed good, no L3 cache bad).

I have done tweaks but I would have thought that at 20% CPU utilisation no clicks should be heard. I have increase to 444 which helped a bit but really the CPU and Ram should be up to it, and its worse in reaper than in sonar, so something dodgy about reaper too.
No worries TheDarkSide10, unless this guy is running that cpu it's all theory. To be honest I would not go for a cpu that has integrated graphics. It's hard enough trying to seperate the CPU & GPU from sharing the pci bus when they are seperate components let alone if they're integrated. I don't know enough about those new cpu's but if that's the problem it could be very hard (or impossible) to control the graphics settings unless there is provision for it in the bios and that's likely to be very limited at the cpu's price point. The only other thing I can think of is to disable all drivers except the most essential to running the OS and the audio software and seeing if that makes a difference (ie; unistall everything you don't need). If it does make a positive difference it's some app driver that is causing the problem. You can then start reinstalling software until it happens again, you then have the culprit. Also try a decent audio device if you can too 'cause sorry but realtek = realshit when it comes to audio and you won't get far with that. Cheers, Cal.

Just some clarification to above; when I say disable all non essential software this includes vsti's and vst plugs. Just load in a wave file, if the audio runs smoothly add more wavs to the same project to see how much the system will take. If the audio runs ok when loaded up you may have a buggy plug or one that is a cpu guts. Cheers.

Last edited by calico6; 04-12-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
musicroom

Quote:
So I have reinstalled the older version of reaper its working a bit better but having clicks inspite of the following, I am running at 288 samples and 15 tracks, with a couple instances of "aileno".

1. Turned of wireless adapter
2.Turned of acpi complient batery system
3. Turned of system sounds
4. Changed graphics scheme to classic
5. Increased the page file to recommended size
6. Priority to Back ground services
7. High perfomance Battery mode, usb never power off option, disk stops after 800 hours (no never option that I can see)

I have windows 7, 4gb and i3 M450 2.4Ghz dual core on a sony vaio laptop with 288GB hard disk.

My cpu utilisation during the clicks is only 15% or at 256 samples is only 22%

Reaper is now crashing when I try to change one of the vstis I have loaded.

My memory utilisation when running the project was
1800 MB used
1520 MB in stanby cache (not sure what this is)
338MB reserved for hardware
183MB of free Ram

Is this a problem that can be solved by more ram? I am getting a fast track 2 how would I turn of the sound card and use the fast track with either its default drivers or with asio? Would it even make any difference? Why is reaper host still stopping?

General thoughts... hunting down clicks and pops - it sometimes becomes trial and error. I think you have a perfect storm brewing for pops and clicks with you current setup.
- Drivers?? Maybe try ASIO4ALL with your on-board sound card? Don't know, but you will want to change to something like fast-track or the like soon... and use their drivers.
- An answer to your question, it is best to disable audio hardware at the bios level, but short of that you can also disable in the control panel at the Windows level
- some older synth edit vsti's are grouchy at times. Do other soft synths also pop and click?
- integrated video would be a no-go for me if... I was going to push/trust my computer for audio
- And, don't let someone who is trying to help you, annoy you as you mentioned. How dare him? Seriously, many people here help when we have time, those kind of comments won't bring out a lot of our time.

DM

Last edited by musicroom; 04-12-2011 at 01:08 PM.
musicroom is offline   Reply With Quote