Old 07-11-2007, 05:14 AM   #1
Alex Stone
Human being with feelings

Default Notation

There a lot of useful suggestions here. I'm not sure mine will prove so for many users, but i'd really like to see a notation/score editor in reaper as i prefer to work this way, including 16 voices per staff, to mirror midi channels/articulation tracks in the track window

I'm aware that i may well be on my own with this one!

Alex.
Alex Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
alex zonder

Alex!

here's an older thread you might want to read... all about notation/staff view in REAPER

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...ht=masterworks
alex zonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:42 AM   #3
idragosani

If it was something optional you could install as plugin, sure, why not? I've found integrated notation editors to be more frustrating than useful in the past, and with things like Midi Yoke, you can use an external notation editor (which is by and far going to be more useful than an integrated one) and still use it with Reaper. I used to do this all of the time with Cakewalk, which has one of the worst notation editors I've ever used.

Of course, being able to pop up a notation window for a quick fix of something is handy to have. But I don't know how much bloat that will add to the software. After following the development of the Rosegarden notation editor/sequencer (a Linux application) for a few years, I can tell you notation editing is not a trivial endeavor. Something simple like inserting or deleting a measure in a score is rather complex, as you need to adjust the time for all MIDI tracks, slide the notes down, etc, etc, etc. There's a reason why apps like Sibelius, Finale, Overture, etc are expensive.
idragosani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
Alex Stone

Alex, thanks!
I had a browse of the thread you posted, and syphoned out the stuff that proved interesting. I appreciate the link.

Idra, I have to disagree with you here. I've been notating since before computers were used for music production, and Sibelius, Finale, etc.. are successful more for a lack of viable competitors, than the quality of their programs. Don't let the slick advertising fool you, they still need a lot of work.

If the REAPER team were to construct a notation plugin, linked program, or extra internal component (editor) to the same standard and efficiency that i've discovered so far in my new experience with this program, then they'd be in front of the 'major' players quickly.

Just my two euros worth!

Alex.
Alex Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
Cablebob

+1 for notation in REAPER
Cablebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
sebas777

+1 for notation as an optional editor / plugin, especially if setting a good standard for articulation/expressions->midi data msgs.

And, as we're speaking of, importing bank/program names and receiving/sending midi dumps.
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
TimOBrien

I would like to see it as an external program.

I use myriad-online's Harmony Assistant (great program and CHEAP) and would love to be able to continue to use it as an external editor.
TimOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:50 AM   #8
Cablebob

PDF Export and Printing for the Score View!!!
And the first page of the PDF/Print Out
should be the project notes if checkbox is on.
Cablebob is offline   Reply With Quote