No votes 14
Attachments 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
bluzkat
Human being with feelings

Read the rest of the page (post from Schwa). There were duplicate requests and this one got closed. The other one is open.

So relax.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
hopi

yes and peace on earth is also planned for the future
Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
pcartwright

and goodwill to all men.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
yes and peace on earth is also planned for the future
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
and goodwill to all men.
Nice attitude guys... thanks.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
hopi

ummm for me it's more like goodwill for used clothes
Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #7
ivansc

Bluzcat - the "attitude" would appear to be a realistic one.
A large part of why I have decided to persevere with Stupido One 2 is because of the tunnel vision that seems to be afflicting the devs lately.

I hate to be negative, but it really is beginning to look like some of the heavily requested features are just not even on the horizon for the forseeable future.

Which is fine, but along with many others I have work to do which I can't just put on the back burner pending stuff that is long awaited finally showing in the pre release cycle, etc.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Bluzcat - the "attitude" would appear to be a realistic one.
A large part of why I have decided to persevere with Stupido One 2 is because of the tunnel vision that seems to be afflicting the devs lately.

I hate to be negative, but it really is beginning to look like some of the heavily requested features are just not even on the horizon for the forseeable future.

Which is fine, but along with many others I have work to do which I can't just put on the back burner pending stuff that is long awaited finally showing in the pre release cycle, etc.
I don't have as much history with Reaper as others here but I've been using it for about a year and a half now and following the pre-releases closely. I cannot find any rhyme or reason for why some features become the focus of attention. The current crossfade editor is a good example. For something like two months now the devs have been working on it basically to the exclusion of everything else yet I have looked for discussions or requests on the topic preceding this release cycle and did not find all that much. Certainly there have been requests that have been a lot more popular. I think this is discouraging some users. At this point I'm happy that Reaper has all of the audio features that I need. There's a few features that I wish would eventually get included (VST3, OMF, etc.) but I realize that may never happen.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
maxdis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
The current crossfade editor is a good example. For something like two months now the devs have been working on it basically to the exclusion of everything else
yes, and we still have some long standings BUGS (not feature requests, but plain and simple BUGS) never fixed , ie http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=110879&
maxdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #10
ivansc

you got it, pattse.

I suspect there are quite a lot of us starting to feel that way.

But there again we bought what we bought, not what we expected to see in future development.

But I rather suspect this is not the sort of attitue the devs were hoping to engender when Reaper development started out.

Frankly, I would just like to hear one way or the other from the devs, as to whether or not they have painted themselves into a corner, to where it is not practical to address some of the long outstanding bug fixes and FRs, or they just dont choose to.

It would seem foolhardy on their part to just ignore some of the increasingly vocal demands for help in some of the crucially lacking areas, but sometimes it is difficult to interpret what is going on or rather not going on in any other way.

I really hate to be posting like this, as I still have considerable faith in the devs ability to get it all done, but time keeps passing and in my particular case, nothing that I could really use some help with has been addressed in a very long time.

I know this is a rather selfish way to look at things, but when you examine the list of elevated feature requests that have languished unattended for, in some cases, years, I am not on my own.

It would be nice to get some sort of response from the devs now and again in this regard, would't it?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
pbognar

I have to agree.

As I've been waiting for Sonar to fix some of their longstanding staff view limitations, I thought for sure we'd have some sort of primitive staff view in Reaper by now.
pbognar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbognar View Post
I have to agree.

As I've been waiting for Sonar to fix some of their longstanding staff view limitations, I thought for sure we'd have some sort of primitive staff view in Reaper by now.
To be fair, I think it's an exercise in frustration no matter what DAW you're using. Pro Tools users are still waiting for 64-bit support. Studio One users are waiting (like us) for decent controller support. Logic users are wondering if their DAW of choice is still alive!

DAWs are very complex programs and people are using them in very different ways. I look at the features being requested by Reaper users and (especially as someone who doesn't do MIDI) most of them are of no use to me yet they are presented as major, deal-breaker functions by some. It is hard to please everyone.

Nevertheless, numbers speak and when features are requested by a couple hundred users in this forum it is pretty easy to extrapolate that Reaper users in general are interested. I would hope must of us are mature enough to realize that occasionally time and effort will be spent on features that may not benefit us personally but it will make Reaper a better product.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
joelsampson

If you need notation, try Musescore. It's free and open source. Just export MIDI files from REAPER. It's great for lead sheets.

http://musescore.org/
Old 10-26-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
bhooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsampson View Post
If you need notation, try Musescore. It's free and open source. Just export MIDI files from REAPER. It's great for lead sheets.

another good free one http://www.finalemusic.com/NotePad/Default.aspx
bhooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
Xasman

Default External notation software is NOT the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsampson View Post

This has already been discussed at length in previous threads; anyone who is asking for notation in Reaper on this forum will doubtless already be aware about the various dedicated software options, but IT'S NOT THE SAME THING!

For me and others, it's the idea of a decent notation option being BUILT-IN to Reaper that's important.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #16
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
External notation software is NOT the answer!
What was the question?

Quote:
This has already been discussed at length in previous threads; anyone who is asking for notation in Reaper on this forum will doubtless already be aware about the various dedicated software options,...
I didn't know about MuseScore & also want REAPER to have notation. So that's weird.

Quote:
...but IT'S NOT THE SAME THING!
I think that's pretty obvious.

Quote:
For me and others, it's the idea of a decent notation option being BUILT-IN to Reaper that's important.
Yeah. Well, I think that's the main reason this thread was started. I might be wrong.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
What was the question?
See thread title.

Quote:
I didn't know about MuseScore & also want REAPER to have notation. So that's weird.
Not weird, just surprising

Quote:
I think that's pretty obvious.
Clearly not to those suggesting trying external software as an alternative.

Quote:
Yeah. Well, I think that's the main reason this thread was started. I might be wrong.
No, I think you're quite right about that
Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
robo

I don't really understand why external notation is unreasonable especially if your main DAW doesn't have it and you need to print out charts or orchestrations.

Or use whatever DAW has notation. I'd love to see notation in reaper and I'm sure it'll happen eventually.
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #19
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
I don't really understand why external notation is unreasonable...
It's not unreasonable, but it IS a pain sometimes...

[url]http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=339821&postcount=123[/url

Being forced to have several programs open at once is inconvenient, hogs resources and, for quick stave-editing chores shouldn't be necessary.

In any case, since the devs have already said they plan to implement it, let's hope it happens soon!

Last edited by Xasman; 10-26-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #20
memyselfandus

I heard they are actually adding notation in reaper 5.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #21
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Being forced to have several programs open at once is inconvenient, hogs resources and, for quick stave-editing chores shouldn't be necessary.
Which gauge boson(s) are forcing you to have several programs open at once? That's quite the physical phenomenon!

You could always code your own DAW. It's not like doing so would be inconvenient.

Regarding system resources, I recommend purchasing an Intel i7 2600K, overclocking it to 4.2GHz & laugh at how it eats up anything you throw at it.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #22
memyselfandus

Yes. a strait answer would be nice! lol

Old 10-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #23
Nip

Quote:
It's not unreasonable, but it IS a pain sometimes...

[url]http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=339821&postcount=123[/url

In any case, since the devs have already said they plan to implement it, let's hope it happens soon!
It seems Reaper has been very early in implementing midi over Rewire. I talked to people behind Notion 3 - they kind of bragged about their Rewire support - but did not support midi.

Odd.

But they seemed very open to the perspective that you open your daw, rewire in Notion - or the other way around.

Then just mark the tracks you want notation on - done.

That would be good enough for me.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #24
LCipher

I'm a little surprised too that there isn't some sort of basic bare bones implementation yet.

And as someone mentioned, it's hard to see the stuff like crossfades etc suddenly get massive amounts of love out of the blue.

But I use REAPER for what it does. If there *was* an alternative Id use it - SONARS recent X2 does have sorta staff but the bugginess of the program makes it worthless to me.

And the 'export it to another program' - fugetaboutit. It's sorta like asking to export/import midi to cubase or whatever to do automation.
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #25
memyselfandus

it will be basic notation but at least we will have notation in Reaper 5
Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #26
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
it will be basic notation but at least we will have notation in Reaper 5
Where are you getting this?
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCipher View Post
Where are you getting this?
Yeah, seriously. It's stated as fact, but I've never read anything to indicate that it's true.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #28
memyselfandus

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewt...p?f=19&t=28116
Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #29
tls11823

Quote:
The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #30
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum.
LOL, that is ridiculous.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #31
Parsifal

A notation editor isn't really an easy thing to make. I imagine that it's a much more difficult thing to do then you realize. It seems to me that it would a big undertaking for the DEV's to accomplish and will probably take some time. I mean do you really want to see an unpolished turd of a notation editor that you would never use to begin with or something that works decent and is easy on the eyes? I don't know, I'm not a programmer, but it seems to be a big addition to the software and one that I would personally use a lot. I would rather wait for something nice and in the meantime stick with the Piano roll.
Parsifal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #32
-R-

Score editor is the thing i miss the most in reaper, but i have a feeling that it's not going to happen anytime. I think it doesn't fit with their will to make te lightest, fastest program as possible. I have sibelius and don't like it, I feel it's very clunky and uncomfortable. But it would be niceif the dev's could give us a "yes" "no", so that we know for sure what to expect.
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #33
memyselfandus

http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/...rd_center.html

ex avid-sibelius employees
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #34
pattste

Quote:
Very interesting turn of events. Rumor has it that Avid actually tried to rehire some of the Sibelius team that had been let go when their plan to outsource the work to Ukraine turned out to be difficult to implement, but that the employees in question showed little interest. Good for them.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #35
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R- View Post
Score editor is the thing i miss the most in reaper, but i have a feeling that it's not going to happen anytime. I think it doesn't fit with their will to make te lightest, fastest program as possible. I have sibelius and don't like it, I feel it's very clunky and uncomfortable. But it would be niceif the dev's could give us a "yes" "no", so that we know for sure what to expect.
I think both Sibelius and Finale are difficult and unintuitive to use. Both are the type of programs that I find myself totally unproductive with if for some reason I don't use them for a few months. I have tried simpler programs before, I actually started with Finale's PrintMusic at first, but even though my needs were modest I invariably ran into things that couldn't be done with the light version.

I think notation would be difficult to do right in Reaper. Either it would be too limited to be of any real use or it would command so much effort and resources as to slow down all other development to a crawl. In my opinion, Cockos simply doesn't have the resources to successfully bring notation into the product.