Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
tweed
Human being with feelings

Default "Do Not Process Muted Tracks" pref. does NOT save CPU w. REC. ARM on

[UPDATE COMMENT: With the RECORD ARM BUTTON switched ON, which I need, it doesn't save CPU] Still need really the FXbypass button draw-auto-mate-able...

Hi All...

[MUTE button does not appear to save CPU when pref. is set correctly]

So, for um, well over a year I've been hoping to find a way to draw-automate mute and rec. arm/monitor enable to get CPU saving.
So that I could have a LOT of VST's just set to channel one and IN record arm or rec. monitor mode... SO... that I could have repeatable VST's become playable or not-playable (due to muting w. CPU saving) AS the song rolled along...

So, I've just noticed someone mention the pref. Do Not Process Muted Tracks

So I think... hey, wanting the FXbypass button to be automate-able MAY not be required... WHAT IF this pref. means that all I have to do is automate the mute button and voila... problem solved..

Then I think... didn't I test this a while back..?

ANYWAYS....can ANYONE tell me if I've missed something...

I stack-up a bunch of VST's - note the CPU usage... then hit the mute button and NO CHANGE in CPU usage..

I hit the FXbypass button (manually -'sigh') and bang.... CPU saving is HUGE...

What am I doing wrong???

big thanks for reading..obviously!

Last edited by tweed; 05-17-2008 at 10:43 AM.
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Sonic Vampire

hmmm, I thought that was working ok for me, will test it later
Sonic Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
tweed

Yeah, I'd howl if it DID work....
That would mean that there's one less move needed and automating the mute button would be the ultimate... and that I'd missed it for quite some time...

i'm pretty sure the CPU doesn't change much if at all. The way I have everything set that is.

When bypassing the effects with the fx button it's radical what the CPU savings is.

thanks!
Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Bebop52

Mmmm ....strange, it works perfectly here. I just tested it. Stacked a whole bunch of vsts on a track - looked at performance meter and that track read 25%. Hit mute on the track and it read 0%. Cheers
Old 05-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
tweed

uuuhhhhh..... I will be having a very great time when I figure this out.
SO: could I ask... does it APPEAR that the CPU saving would be IDENTICAL to what would happen if the FXbypass button was used instead of the mute button???

I'm wondering what I could have missed..

tryin' it now.

wow...um, WOW
Old 05-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
tweed

OK....

So what happens if you use the PC's task meter...

That's what I'm using and I'm NOT getting much if any change at all!!!!! compared to using the FXbypass button...

UPDATE: so I've used REAPER's performance monitor and yes, there IS a change WHEN I start the sequencer... YET... then it creeps back up again ... I get no change at all WHEN I actually hit the MUTE button when REAPER is stopped...

more testing needed though it seems like it's not gonna be a go when compared to what happens when the FXbypass button is hit...running or stopped.

ALSO: when using just the mute button the CPU usage for the track NEVER goes down to ZERO unlike the FXbypass button which is INSTANT... love that FXbypass button..

That said: IF the mute button could do the whole thing (CPU saving AND muting) is would be REALLY REALLY REALLY cool...

ideas?

NAH... just checked again: love to know why I get NO CPU change at all when using the mute button (when REAPER is stopped and viewing the REAPER performance monitor) THEN when starting REAPER it goes down a bunch though NOT to zero like the FXbypass button does. THEN it begins to creap up again. CONFIRMED with my system.

Last edited by tweed; 05-16-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
tweed

Here's the reason...

I keep the Record button ON. So, when the Record ARM button is OFF the mute button CPU saving does happen though logically can happen comparatively a bit slowly as far as the CPU saving occurring goes.

So, I still need to have the FXbypass button auto-mate-able...!

AGAIN: the mute button has a delay before the CPU savings occurs entirely unlike the FXbypass button which is instantaneous.. logical of course....

ooo sexy that FXbypass button is...!::--)

Last edited by tweed; 05-16-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Bebop52

Yep, confirmed here. The mute button results in a drop to zero being displayed on that track in the performance meter, but not instantaneously, unlike the FX bypass button. I wonder whether this is actually what happens, or whether it is only a display thing? Maybe a way to test would be to deliberately get continuous crackling/popping from using a bunch of vsts on a channel, then hit mute and see whether the noises diasappear instantly, or take a short while? Cheers
Old 05-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
tweed

[note: smart thought Bebop52!]

HOPE HOPE HOPEFULLY

at some point we'll get the FXbypass button automate-able....

I figure the way the MUTE button saves CPU a bit slowly is logical and optimized due to the VSTs running etc... and turning them 'off' take a bit of time in deducing their states...uh.. or something.

FXbypass automate FXbypass automate FXbypass automate FXbypass automate FXbypass automate FXbypass automate

chant with me!!!!!!

man do I ever get excited to think of how GROUND BREAKING it would be to have FXbpass automate-uh-able..

NOTHING out there touches REAPER and with FXbypass automate-able yet another HUGE HUGE HUGELY unique feature would be in our grasp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whimper.

Last edited by tweed; 05-16-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
3mph

So.. did it ever happen? Not yet, but you can automate "bypass" which - from my point of view with a slow P4 - isn't the same :-(
Old 02-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweed View Post
ANYWAYS....can ANYONE tell me if I've missed something...
One reason could be that you're using slightly more complex routing. See http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=16

So there are some cases where this "don't process muted tracks" logic isn't clever enough.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 AM   #12
hux

I can automate an FX bypass, it's right there in the list..am I special or something? Misunderstanding the question?

/edit
Nevermind, just noticed the dates on this thread. lol
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
tweed

The thought was that by being able to automate literally the record arm and/or the Monitor Enable button RIGHT from the arrange page and without having to select one or more FX bpass parameters from WITHIN the effects page per effect would be:

That VISUALLY one could see a complex layout of VSTs tracks going on and off and create them without much thinking/remembering.

'Cause for CPU savings and more complex turning on and off of VSTs there would be a fair amount of automation... currently, having to go in and automate each FXs bypass button gets very confusing and simply not worth doing. Any changes are just too, well 90's-ish...

as in ya gotta change a ton of stuff that's not even normally/typically visible on the arrange page to do a VSTs turning on and off as the song (or marker jumps) progress edit/add...

My tests made me go.... hmmmm.... reminds me of the hassle of editing Logic Audio's environment between songs etc. back in the 90's.

Actually though I did find a system that was a better workaround though recall scraping that as well thinking I was gonna get tangled up even with the optional way to automate mutes I think it was. Sorry I can't recall/think exactly enough at the moment.

A bit rambly me.
Cool on for the posts here though.

Last edited by tweed; 02-18-2009 at 11:07 AM.