Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
maskedmusicman
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Mbox 3

I'm an avid singer/songwriter, and am just getting into recording, but I have extremely basic knowledge. I just purchased an Mbox 3, and was recommended Reaper by a friend. I'm having a bit of trouble finding the correct drivers, and connecting my mbox to reaper.
Hoping someone here could help!
maskedmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Steve36

Hi maskedmusicman...Assuming you are using windows, you need the mbox3 Asio drivers for your operating system (windows 7,xp,etc...)This will be found either on disks that come with it or on the Avid site...when you have installed the drivers click on: Options\Preferences\device(at the top of the main reaper screen),and where it says "Audio system" choose "Asio" then the Asio driver.Set the input and output ranges (if in doubt go from the first in the list to the last),click "Apply" and you should be good to go.

P.s. The procedure for installation\connection of your hardware should be covered in the documentation it comes with.Hope it helps.

Steve

Last edited by Steve36; 09-25-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Steve36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmusicman View Post
I'm an avid singer/songwriter, and am just getting into recording, but I have extremely basic knowledge. I just purchased an Mbox 3, and was recommended Reaper by a friend. I'm having a bit of trouble finding the correct drivers, and connecting my mbox to reaper.
Hoping someone here could help!
does that mean you're a singer/songwriter that only uses avid hardware or that you have a keen interest in singing/songwriting?
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Steve36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
does that mean you're a singer/songwriter that only uses avid hardware or that you have a keen interest in singing/songwriting?
Haha...or only sings/writes for Avid...?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
maskedmusicman

Alright, so I installed all the drivers off of the avid website, set the mbox as my device, set it exactly how you said, but I'm still not getting any input when i try to make a track...not sure where i'm going wrong exactly
Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Steve36

If you've set everything up correctly, you still have to setup your track. Click where it says "in" on your track,set the input to mono and choose the first one in the list (mbox3 input 1 or L or something similar) then arm the track for recording (the round button that looks like a target). Now when you talk\make noise with whatever is plugged into that input you should see the meters moving.If you want to hear it whilst recording,click the little speaker symbol next to "in". I would suggest downloading the excellent free manual so you have a visual reference. http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

Steve
Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
maskedmusicman

Thanks a bunch Steve...there are still a few things here and there i'm having trouble with, but I have a feeling the manual will get me the rest of the way

MMM
Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
Steve36

No problem...let us know how you go.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
maskedmusicman

Alright, I have a new, completely unrelated problem I'm having difficulty with! Every time I record a track, when I stop recording, "error opening recorded media" pops up. I can go into my files, find the wave file I've recorded, and play it through wmp, or itunes, so I know the file is being saved. I'm not quite sure what to do about this one, as I followed the creating a project, creating a track, and recording a track steps in the manual...

Thanks, MMM
Old 09-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
Steve36

I'm not sure what that could be...maybe another app is associated with that file type (ie: windows media player,itunes).
Maybe your souncard driver is being used by another app? Try dragging the files straight into a new project and see if you can play them.If you can play them in a new project at least you know that the problem probably has to do with project settings or some-such.
Steve