Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Giano
Banned

Default Best new plugin / gear in 2014

The winner is NI Replika for me ! Love it

https://soundcloud.com/giano-riff
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
thewizrad
Human being with feelings

Tritik Delay I really like and use almost every day.
thewizrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Magicbuss

Slate trigger 2 for me. Its seeing alot of use and it sounds great. Now I can salvage poor drums or enhance decent ones.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
alex1073

Everything TDR did. Actually, I'm still waiting for the "color" compressor (they said they would make mastering version - FB comp iii, but we got Kotelnikov instead and a mixing version (from KVR):

"This compressor is meant to colour, shape, massage, squeeze & squash with greatest flexibility and usability, while still offering high fidelity sound. We'll probably have some sort of crest control here as well. It's no question that this plugin will have a distinct "Molot" touch."

So, I guess that working with Vlad and Bootsie will help Fabien to provide buckets of color on that one (don't know if Vlad himself is also involved in development, but when I read the sentence above, I think he is). So, for the New Year I wish me a comp with Molot's attack and release, whole lotta color and low cpu usage + all the Fabien's goodies and hope that the GE will be released at the same moment as the free version

Cheers,
Alex
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
pepe44

Software -Slate Virtual Rack.
Hardware - Probably UAD Apollo Twin interfaces
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
technogremlin

For me obviously Ragnarok
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
Good choice!

Old 12-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
Don Schenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
The winner is NI Replika for me ! Love it
Good find. Thanks for that one. And the price is right too - FREE!

What peppe said:
Quote:
Hardware - Probably UAD Apollo Twin interfaces
If you buy one of UA's expensive interfaces.

:-Don
Don Schenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:32 AM   #9
rcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
Agreed....truly a joy
Old 12-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #10
Quest The Wordsmith

Never heard of Ragnarok. Googled it and came up with KVR's One Synth Challenge page. Wow. Where have I been.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
pepe44

I search as well and found a MMORP game hehe
Old 12-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #12
henge1

VMR. Almost makes me want to sell my hardware!!;-)
Old 12-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
Pickasso

For me it's a tie between Ignite Amps NadIR ir loader and Emissary ampsim!
Just brilliant effects for guitar. Amazingly stable, low cpu. The Emissary does high gain, but also amazing clean tones. Exciting to think of what they may come up with next for guitar.

If you haven't yet, try them out:
http://www.igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins
Pickasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest The Wordsmith View Post
Never heard of Ragnarok. Googled it and came up with KVR's One Synth Challenge page. Wow. Where have I been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
I search as well and found a MMORP game hehe
Maybe should have searched the Reaper forum

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=149647

Last edited by technogremlin; 12-29-2014 at 04:56 AM.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:37 AM   #15
Wolffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge1 View Post
Hmmm..... is this really that good ?

I've been eyeing VMR of ever since it was released, i would have bought it in a second if i didn't need an ilock !!

This ( VMR )and Kush audio's UBK1 are the only plugs to tempt me to go down the ilock road

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:54 AM   #16
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge1 View Post
This, but in my case it makes me feel like I still have my hardware

I dont want to get into a debate about whether or not it sounds exactly like the real thing, but it absolutely does have the character, response and behaviour I have missed since moving completely ITB.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #17
Shm00ve

The best plugin of 2014 for me was Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar. It's a lot of fun. I love being able to hear a piano, synth or even a whole Orchestra with one strum of the guitar. I even use it live.

Toontrack's EZ Drummer 2 comes in a close second.
Shm00ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
henge1

Well...just announced but not available until 2015, Warm Audio is making a pultec for...$675!!
I have two of their WA76 comps ( which are killer ) and I'll buy 2 of these pultec clones. Good times for gear!
Old 12-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #19
kindafishy

Acustica Titanium. Best compressor I own by such a huge margin that it isn't even funny.

Still a couple days left and I'm trying to pick a transient designer, so I might change my vote . ...probably not though, Titanium is a beast.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #20
electricthing

I bought the best plugins last month, after selling a bunch of others.

-SSL Duende Channel Strip and Bus Compressor bundle, the strip is the best plugin I ever used (to my taste)
-Lexicon PCM Reverb
-Waves Center

Next to these I just use some saturation plugins, often free or cheap, some delays and some micropitching, a parametric eq on the 2bus and I'm done for the most part.
With SSL Duende I need to add less plugins to make it happen for me.
I sold VCC and NLS.

Last edited by electricthing; 12-30-2014 at 03:12 AM.
electricthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #21
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricthing View Post
I bought the best plugins last month, after selling a bunch of others.

-SSL Duende Channel Strip and Bus Compressor bundle, the strip is the best plugin I ever used (for my taste)
-Lexicon PCM Reverb
-Waves Center

Next to these I just use some saturation plugins, often free or cheap, some delays and some micropitching, a parametric eq on the 2bus and I'm done for the most part.
With SSL Duende I need to add less plugins to make it happen for me.
I sold VCC and NLS.
I really enjoy the Duende plugins. I use the vocal strip and the drum strip on pretty much every mix. Very useful tools. I recently stopped using the bus compressor as my main 2 bus comp, but it served me well for a long time and I will definitely use it again.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #22
Faderjockey

Haven't bought much in a while..
But I'd say so far this year it's been Software: AirEQ
and for hardware.. would be the C12/Elma251 mic/mod I did..

and yeah..That new Warm Pultec looks nice.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #23
Wolffman

Best gear i bought this year was a couple of guitar pedals.

I got the Joyo, American Sound & ACtone pedals.
There chinese knock offs of the Tech21 Blonde & Liverpool pedals and they sound great.

I haven't used them for recording yet but thay work really well live, either direct into the PA with no guitar amp or before a guitar amp, both methods yeilds good results.

Can't wait to test them straight into the daw, haven't had the occasion yet as i've been recording mostly accoustic music.

Cheers

I think i'm going to resist the Slate VMR for now, just can't do the ilock thing plus i think i need Win 7 or later, i'm going to have to upgrade from XP this year, maybe ( if it ain't broke don't fix it )

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #24
Cosmic

Im still using all the same stuff I was using in 2013
Old 12-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #25
Mind Riot

Wait, people put out NEW stuff this year?!

How can anybody keep up with all this?
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #26
jpanderson80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Acustica Titanium. Best compressor I own by such a huge margin that it isn't even funny.
Kindafishy,

Hope you're well. Can you elaborate more, please? Maybe some general use comparisons to some of the other "big names" [that I know and use: Slate VBC, Waves API2500, TDR, Waves SSLbuss]? I can't believe that I hadn't heard about this. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #27
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
Kindafishy,

Hope you're well. Can you elaborate more, please? Maybe some general use comparisons to some of the other "big names" [that I know and use: Slate VBC, Waves API2500, TDR, Waves SSLbuss]? I can't believe that I hadn't heard about this. Thanks!
Very well, thank you . I hope you can say the same. Sorry about the TL;DR, but I have a tendency to ramble and you asked for it... ha ha...

I don't have Slate, although I was seriously considering purchasing it before picking up Titanium. I do have TDR, Duende SSL Bus Compressor and the Waves API2500 currently.

The SSL has been my 2 bus compressor for a few years now. The 1 band version of Titanium has taken up the 2 bus duties on the current mix I am working on and I can confidently say that it is my 2 bus compressor from here on it on every mix I'll do. Many compressors can help in getting a cohesive mix (any that either of us has mentioned), but with Titanium, I experienced something different for the first time. It was not just "this compressor is doing what it is supposed to do", but it also extended into "this compressor is doing what it is supposed to do and it is infusing the whole mix with definition and character". Slight disclaimer here - when it comes to critical listening, a crack may as well be a chasm. I think that what the audio obsessed describe as ground shaking differences would be imperceptible to most people. They don't matter though .

It has that sense of depth that people talk about with Acustica technologies in spades. It just does something beautiful with all of the frequencies that pass through it (when attack, release and threshold are properly set of course), just subtly affecting them all in a beautiful way. Audio going through it ends up sounding a little more defined, a little smoother, a little more hefty. I am pretty certain that as audio passes through these hardware sampled units, it is ever so slightly augmented with subtle harmonics, distortion and other non-linear characteristics of the hardware, which is what everyone describes as the 3D-ness that Acustica DSP imparts.

The above paragraph is really just the icing though as more importantly, the compression characteristics of this unit are very pleasing. The attack goes from pretty much instantaneous to slow enough to let long punchy bass notes through. There is one odd spot on the attack knob where the attack goes from "faster than the hardware" to the "fastest hardware setting". The developer chose to introduce faster attack than the hardware is capable of and push the hardware sampled fastest attack setting over a bit on the knob. I'm just mentioning it because it is odd the first time you hear it until you recognize it for what it is. The added functionality of the faster attack is great because it lets this compressor get incredibly smooth with transient handling. The release curves are very smooth as well. This thing goes from super smooth to super punch and does it without any complexity.

As mentioned above, I have spent most of my time with the 1 band version so far, but I would have no problem swapping in the 3 band version either on my 2 bus or in a pseudo-mastering-polishing session. I have spent significant time experimenting with the 3 band version and it is just beautiful. I have never gotten along with mutli band compression until using this plugin. I find it very easy to use. Punchier bottom end, forward mids and an open high end? No problem. Five minutes of tweaking and done. I could definitely see myself mixing into the 3 band version. As a matter of fact, when I have a 2500 in mind (for the punchiness), I am sure the 3 band Titanium will get me to where I want to be better and faster. Some would very likely shy away from this, but if you know what you want from your compressor and your audio, I don't see why not. I would argue that if you don't know what you want, you shouldn't be mixing into a 1 band compressor either...

So, what doesn't it do? It doesn't do the super pumpy, distorted 1176 thing. Otherwise, I don't know. It is an absolutely killer compressor.

Despite the above, it is not my "every track workhorse" compressor. That goes to the Klanghelm DC8C, which is my favourite compressor, period, bar none. I am still shocked that this thing doesn't sell for €300. It does the 1176 thing beautifully (as one of the 1000 things it can do), by the way. However, I must say that I was just having trouble with a guitar that I knew I wanted to even out and bring forward and Klag was just not doing it for me. In this case, I used Titanium and within a minute, my track was sitting exactly where I wanted it to, so maybe I should try it out some more. That would require some bouncing though...

I mentioned that I was considering VBC, but the reason that I didn't pick it up is because for what I like and for how I mix, my compression needs are currently covered 100% by the combination of Titanium and DC8C. I try not to buy something until I have a specific need that I don't have a tool for.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #28
Giano
Banned

Default DC8C

Once I was also interested in buying DC8C, but there is not even a presentation or tutorial on YouTube and I thought no one uses it, and it must have a reason ?!
I have dowloaded the small version of it, but this version is not very exciting.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #29
Giano
Banned

@ kindafishy

listened to some of your tracks, dig the style and sound, but I would like to know whether you have applied DC8C to e-bass?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #30
pepe44

PSP old timer is great as well for bus comp, I use it almost on every bus including master bus! Subtle changes only max 2 dB . Workst as my glue comp
Old 12-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #31
jpanderson80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Very well, thank you . I hope you can say the same. Sorry about the TL;DR, but I have a tendency to ramble and you asked for it... ha ha...

I don't have Slate, although I was seriously considering purchasing it before picking up Titanium. I do have TDR, Duende SSL Bus Compressor and the Waves API2500 currently.
Doing fine. Thank you for the very nice "ramble"... yeah right... like any of us mind! I somehow missed this in 2014. I'm glad that this thread was started though. It sounds like I need to look into this.

So... I did look into it. I did see that the Titanium has a demo... going to give it a drive. If I have some time tonight, I might be able to compare it to Slate's VBC. I'm unlikely to purchase it right now, but it's appealing. (Acquamarine looks very interesting too.)
Old 12-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #32
kindafishy

Quote:
Once I was also interested in buying DC8C, but there is not even a presentation or tutorial on YouTube and I thought no one uses it, and it must have a reason ?!
I have dowloaded the small version of it, but this version is not very exciting.
Quote:
@ kindafishy

listened to some of your tracks, dig the style and sound, but I would like to know whether you have applied DC8C to e-bass?
Thanks Giano. I think those mixes are terrible. Since doing those mixes I decided to get much more serious. I created a treated mixing space and upgraded my monitors. Now I can't even listen to those mixes any more. Cringe worthy stuff. Everything is bad. The low end is a horrible mess. I don't want to say what I used on the low end of those mixes because I will give those plugins a bad name, ha ha...

I am currently remixing all the Music to Murder songs along with a new track. I wasn't really going to post any of them up as I work through them because folks around here have heard these before, but perhaps I will. I'll be done the fist mix in the next week or so, I think. It would be great to get feedback on the remixes from all the great people here. I dunno...

Anyway, no, sorry, none of those mixes feature DC8C. I picked up DC8C after my 'studio rebuild' along with a couple other plugins after a huge amount of time spent testing and auditioning different plugins. I decided to standardize on a very small set of plugins and stick with them for at least a couple years. Just starting down that path now. Tired of jumping around from option to option. The new mixes have DC8C and Titanium all over them.

I didn't pick up DC8C as the result of testing (as there is no demo), but rather, as a result of opinions from at least a dozen REAPER users I respect who each speak incredibly highly of this compressor. I haven't tried the small version so I can't compare, but the full version is fantastic. I do not regret the purchase at all. On the contrary, it is amongst what I consider to be my very best and most important plugins now. I love it. Everyone's tastes are different and just because I love it does not mean that anyone else will, but I think it is worth 15x the asking price and I would enthusiastically recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great sounding, highly functional compressor. I wish there was a demo. I don't understand why there is not.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #33
Giano
Banned

Thanks for your nice and informative reply. I asked if you applied it to e-bass, because the e-bass on your tracks was strange as if the bass player plays pretty far away, I was not sure if you wanted to sound like this. So DC8C would also work on e-bass ?

Old 12-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #34
kindafishy

Quote:
Thanks for your nice and informative reply. I asked if you applied it to e-bass, because the e-bass on your tracks was strange as if the bass Player plays pretty far away, I was not sure if you wanted to sound like this. So DC8C would also work on e-bass ?
The bass guitar sounds like that because it sucks. I was mixing my low end completely blind (deaf, rather - I was in the corner of a giant, open, untreated room with consumer speakers that had frequency peaks and dips everywhere and no low end to speak of).

The bass sounded great in my mixing space. Exactly what I wanted it to sound like. It didn't sound like that anywhere else though. Just in that space. Major translation issues. So, I'm not sure what you are hearing as it is a bit of a crap shoot, but I guarantee you that I do not think it sounds good (unless you are in the corner of a giant room with terrible consumer speakers... maybe).

DC8C works on everything, sure. It's not genre or instrument dependent. It's a great tool across the board.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #35
Giano
Banned

One more thing I´d like to know is:
what about CPU usage ?
Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #36
karbomusic

I have DC8C and like it a lot but I haven't recorded as much lately to give any details.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #37
pepe44

Speaking on DC8, i bought this year the Kleinghelm DC8C and it rocks. Really nice compressor. Use it mostly to smash drums. NUKE !

http://www.klanghelm.com/DC8C_audiodemos.php
Old 12-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #38
alex1073

Quote:
Thanks for your nice and informative reply. I asked if you applied it to e-bass, because the e-bass on your tracks was strange as if the bass player plays pretty far away, I was not sure if you wanted to sound like this. So DC8C would also work on e-bass ?

Sure, it works on everything, and I use it on everything (one of my 3 or 4 favorite comps). Leave it in the default mode and don't touch anything but the threshold and it will work, tweak it a little bit and it will work great, go to the expert mode and sky is the limit.

Cheers,
Alex
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #39
Giano
Banned

Thanks for your info, what about CPU-usage, that´s my main concern, first and foremost I could have one more compressor especially for e-bass, and I m not sure if DC8C could be used as bus-comp, too ? !
You know e.g. ReaComp can be inserted to every track without issues, you can not do that, of course, with every plugin
e.g. I would surely have issues with most Acustica Audio /Acqua plugins !

There are no Audio examples when clicking on the link, there is no player (Windows Explorer)
and only very little (why not all?) on Firefox

Last edited by Giano; 12-30-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #40
The Telenator
Banned

DC8C -- did that upgrade to v2.2 this year? Thought it was 2013. How time flies. I agree, the manual, if you can even call it that, sucks. It's very minimal, especially considering the expert options. Great comp, though. Well worth it.

Back to thread title, I think Acon Multiply chorus was a great '14 release (that was this year. wasn't it? ... at least the upgrade was!).

But I'll pick the TDR Kotelnikov comp as best freeware release.

I'll pick DUNE 2 as best commercial release, even though I'm not going to buy it. Did try it, though -- excellent. [edit: Was Ultra Analog VA-2 updated from version VA-1 in '14? I think it was and I did grab that one. Killer good synth; I like it far more than Diva, just for comparison. The VA-2 version is such a hot softsynth that I actually hate to mention it -- would rather everyone went rushing after Diva, Zebra, DUNE 2....]

Lots of little plugins, like some WOK, were great additions, too.

So, so much good free, cheap and otherwise VST goodies for us these days. Just 4-5 years ago it was almost a desert.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote