Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
woeischris
Human being with feelings

Default Crazy RAM usage?

Hey guys! I haven't posted in a while. Last time I was active here was when I had all kinds of n00b questions and now, a few months later, I can't imagine ever going back to Cubase. Thanks for the help!

Little problem though. My active Reaper projects are taking a TON of RAM and I don't think it's normal. I'm running the latest beta of Reaper 4 x86 but this problem existed in a few of the alphas, too. Simply put, RAM usage for reaper.exe is hitting the 3GB limit and I don't know why. I'm using Nebula Server so all of the required RAM is offloaded to that and then maybe I have in a single project maybe 15 non-Nebula VSTs. I don't think I had this problem when I was using Nebula with jBridge to take advantage of the 64-bit plugins so I guess it could be a Nebula issue. Figured I'd start here.

Anyone else experience this? Any tips for adjusting Reaper's RAM footprint?

EDIT: It seriously just forced me to reboot my PC three times in a row because loading a snapshot made me hit 3GB and the application crashed. I am about to throw my f'ing computer out the window. Once it loads, it only uses about 2.8. It seems to have something to do with clicking on things before loading the snapshot and then the more changes I make, the worse it gets.

EDIT AGAIN: There goes number four. I feel as though this is worse having just updated to the latest beta.

Last edited by woeischris; 06-14-2011 at 09:54 PM.
woeischris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Mercado_Negro

Try something:

1) Load REAPER
2) Go to the FX Browser, look for Nebula and right-click on it
3) Set it to run in dedicated processes or just a separate process
4) Exit the server before loading your project
5) Load your project
6) See if it happens again
Old 06-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
woeischris

I set it to whichever puts each instance in a dedicated process. It seems to hurt performance a bit and by not using Server, I lose the RAM consolidation feature but at least I can work. Any reason why it would do this? I recognize you from the Nebula forum. Do you have this problem?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
woeischris

Anyone? We're discussing this issue on the Nebula forum here: http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/...rb_v=viewtopic
Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
beingmf

Chris, any news about your issue? I plan to upgrade to "server", too, but I'm still a little hesitant...
Old 01-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
woeischris

Such an old thread, I honestly don't remember if something happened or if I was doing something wrong. Nebula Server now consolidates RAM very nicely. Performance is better than it ever was. I don't think I'm running the latest version of Nebula, though; I got tired of updates breaking things so I settled on a stable build and have stopped relying on it so heavily.