Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
DSHODGE
Human being with feelings

Default Reaverb Deconvolve Issue

I've been attempting to use reaverb to create my own reverb Impulse Responses. The issue is when I deconvolve the recorded audio, with the test tone used, I end up with a final IR with a sine sweep audible in any audio sent through it. It is what you might expect if you didn't deconvolve the recorded audio. I have searched for hours on end and I haven't found any solutions. I've tried different sample rates, bit depths and test tone lengths, all with similar, but incorrect results. The 30 second sweep ended up with a 30 second IR that had decent early reflections but they were followed by several seconds of sweeping ambience. The 4 second test tone resulted in decent early reflections followed by a 1/2 note delay with 5 or 6 repeats. Not at all what the reverb actually sounds like. Some one please help, am I missing something? It seems like an issue with the deconvolve process. Could this be a bug?

Running Reaper 5.35 64 bit on Windows 10.0.14393 Dell Inspiron 3847 i7 4790 quad core @ 3.6 GHz with 16GB ddr3 RAM and a motu 16A interface with current drivers and software.

Sorry if this isn't the best place for this thread, but I can't figure out how to delete it now.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by DSHODGE; 03-20-2017 at 12:22 AM. Reason: More info added
DSHODGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
farjedi

Can't help as I'm looking for information on this subject, but I got bizarre results using it, couldn't hear a sweep just what sounds like a digital synth guitar feeding back. My sound design brain thinks it could be fun to mess around with that. But it's not behaving as it should and I got the same as you, whatever length test tone is the length of the de-convolved IR, which obviously isn't right.

Normally I would just use a spike to make pretty decent IR's but this thing I'm sampling the noise floor is a bit too high so I just wanted to see if a sine sweep deconvolution would help.

There doesn't seem to be much call for deconvolution software, voxengo is the only one I can think of and it's Windows only.
farjedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Bri1
Banned

TBH-the module just does not seem to work right-whichever way I've gone about it.Inconsistant results-and a severe lack of decent documentation or video tutorials on basic/complex uses.
It works,but it's just strange in practice.
Could do with a massive update {imo} and a decent reainspection from those 'in the know'.
May be put to better use here then I guess...
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
DSHODGE

Default Any luck?

Thanks for the replies, I was wondering if either of you have solved this issue or tried again more recently? I'm going to try again, hopefully it's been addressed in the last few updates. If I have any different results, I'll post them here.
DSHODGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
karbomusic

I didn't know that ReaVerb can deconvolve. Yes you have to properly deconvovle, I use the one from Voxengo and it can be picky to get it to deconvolve just right - then I loaded that result into ReaVerb.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
Xenakios

I got it working at first try here, are you guys sure you are doing the whole process right? (Of course the thing that the impulse response is supposed to be coming from has to be unmodulated and not adding any new harmonic content into the sound etc..But those are well known limitations of convolution.)

Last edited by Xenakios; 11-02-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
karbomusic

What is the process for deconvolving in Reaper - Too lazy to go searching if you guys have a link.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
What is the process for deconvolving in Reaper - Too lazy to go searching if you guys have a link.
1) Generate test tone with ReaVerb. (The test tone and deconvolve features are in ReaVerb's File module.) Optionally you can have the test tone generated elsewhere.
2) Play and record/render the generated test tone through the device you want the IR from. (The recording/rendering probably should not have any of the dry signal from the test tone present.)
3) Invoke the Deconvolve option in ReaVerb. It will ask you for 3 files : The original test tone you generated in step 1, the file you got from step 2 and finally the IR file you want to save as.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
karbomusic

Thanks man - wish I had realized that before buying Voxengos.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #10
colonelporridge

I seem to have got it working by entering the deconvolve file first and then the test tone file afterwards. When i try do it the other way round i get a bizzaro sweepy reverb.
colonelporridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:10 PM   #11
suckspeed

Default Delay of signal when using deconvolved recording as IR

Hi all,

I'd like to continue this discussion as I'm having issues with ReaVerb's deconvolution also. I'm trying to capture the sound of my hardware speaker simulation as an impulse response so that I can use it in the box.
I have followed the process as described: create the test signal (sweep), send it out to the device, record the result, deconvolve it by first selecting that recording, then the sweep, then specifying the target file name.
The result sounds quite right, but in the graph at the top of ReaVerb I can clearly see that there is only one spike right in the middle. Since it is not at the left edge, it means that it's delayed. When I set the ReaVerb sliders to 100% wet signal, there is a massive delay between what I play and what ReaVerb makes of it using the IR.

I have opened the IR in a wave editor and cut the silence at the beginning, saved that result to a new IR file and loaded it into ReaVerb. The delay is almost gone if I cut enough before the spike begins. Now I have started using IRs of two hardware speaker simulations and cut away the silence in the wav files so that both have little delay. But mixing both signals into a mono signal unveils the issue: both signals are quite out of phase. That's surely because what I did with cutting that silence manually, I couldn't achieve perfectly synced signals. I think Reaper should do this automatically. I have used ReaInsert for identifying any additional latency and it was just about 5 samples. I have adjusted that in the settings so it showed 0 samples. But still the deconvolved IR has the peak in the middle of the file only, which again brings back the huge delay.

Is there anything I'm getting wrong in the whole process?

Any help is much appreciated.
suckspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #12
musar

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckspeed View Post
Hi all,

I'd like to continue this discussion as I'm having issues with ReaVerb's deconvolution also. . . .

. . . Any help is much appreciated.
No responses in more than a year? Did you find a solution to your deconvolution issues in the meanwhile?
musar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:14 AM   #13
plainoldcheese

Default check your file formats

when i was experimenting today i noticed that if the file formats of the sweep and the recording are not matched (samplerate and bit depth) then the resulting impulse response is not of good quality. my 96kHz 64bit FP IRs have a sweep visible in the spectrogram but not audible as it is well above human hearing. if i use an integer format (24 bit) then i also have pretty bad quality IRs
plainoldcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #14
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
1) Generate test tone with ReaVerb. (The test tone and deconvolve features are in ReaVerb's File module.) Optionally you can have the test tone generated elsewhere.
2) Play and record/render the generated test tone through the device you want the IR from. (The recording/rendering probably should not have any of the dry signal from the test tone present.)
3) Invoke the Deconvolve option in ReaVerb. It will ask you for 3 files : The original test tone you generated in step 1, the file you got from step 2 and finally the IR file you want to save as.
Thanks for laying it out! The instructions in the 3 file dialogs for the ReaVerb Deconvolve feature are extremely ambiguous and misleading, but your instructions are clear.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote