Old 03-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Curtis
Banned

Default Unorganized Toolbars File Names

I was looking at various toolbars that I have down loaded I don't understand their naming scheme. They will be a2, a3, a4; but the items starting with a don't have any relationship to another starting with a, so how can a person know what numbering range to look for the icon they want.

Does Cockos have a naming standard for toolbar icons?

Last edited by Curtis; 03-24-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:23 AM   #2
solger
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
I was looking at various toolbars that I have down loaded I don't understand their naming scheme. They will be a2, a3, a4; but the items starting with a don't have any relationship to another starting with a, so how can a person know what numbering range to look for the icon they want.
Difficult to give any specific hints without having more info about which toolbars you downloaded. Can you post any links?
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:52 AM   #3
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Difficult to give any specific hints without having more info about which toolbars you downloaded. Can you post any links?
In general there is no organization in the icons you have to look through many or try and guess what name the creator gave to the icon.
If you try to organize the icons by additional folders that doesn't work reaper only look at that one folder with every thing that resembles an icon.

Dumping everything into one folder is like what my 9 year old daughter does with her school work.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #4
xpander

Quote:
Does Cockos have a naming standard for toolbar icons?
Looking at the Data folder you can see that the default toolbar icon names do have a structure where first comes a bigger group, then further definitions. You can see eg. these kind of "groups": toolbar_audio_xxx, toolbar_envelope_xxx, toolbar_item_xxx and so on. I have tried to follow the same principle with my custom icons because I find it a pretty clear system but since this is not a forced "standard", everybody may name theirs as they like.

I can see your point about additional folders and for the personal use that surely could help organizing things. Unfortunately no forced standard would mean trying to decipher what others have done wouldn't necessarily be much easier, just wading through more folders.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
hopi

yes indeed... I understand how this can be a problem...

however you 'could' work it out for yourself so the you have it as you like

I have so many custom toolbar icons it is crazy... and I keep making and adding new ones all the time...

I give them names like so:

XYZ_toolbar_SNAP01_whatever.png

or

ZZZ_toolbar_GRID01_whatever.png

that way the first part, XYZ or ZZZ or AAA or [whatever you put there]
can help limit what you see by typing that into the search filter at the top of the icons window...

So let's say I have all the default icons and then a few of my own for 'snap'... could be 'snap to grid' or 'snap to something'...

putting 'snap' in the search filter gets me all icons with 'snap' in the name...

There are windows tools to do batch re-names of lots of files... I like the Flash Renamer... but there are others...

you could use something like that to add numbers to all the files names if you wanted... like they could all begin with 0001, 0002, etc.

So you could set up some organization to suit your own wishes
Old 03-26-2017, 05:20 AM   #6
Curtis
Banned

I'm reworking my icons with ones from various sources and some of my own.
I put the originals in a folder then added some of them back into my revised icon group with a naming scheme that makes more sense than the original icons. Don't have any clue why the icons all start with "toolbar", there in a folder called toolbar so why repeat it.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Pet

The "toolbar" in the name is necessary, when toolbar icons are within a theme. Not necessary, if you have them in the toolbar_icons folder in your user path.

Last edited by Pet; 03-26-2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Removed my Quoting idiocy
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet View Post
The "toolbar" in the name is necessary, when toolbar icons are within a theme. Not necessary, if you have them in the toolbar_icons folder in your user path.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, I only use the two triton themes I purchased last year and it works fine with my changes. Also that is the only theme I use, I gave up on all those user made themes that have many errors.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #9
hopi

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, I only use the two triton themes I purchased last year and it works fine with my changes. Also that is the only theme I use, I gave up on all those user made themes that have many errors.

first let me say that Cincicat69's triton series are excellent themes if you like them... not to say there are not other excellent user made themes...

I'd offer that using the toolbar word in the first part of the name is helpful to those that maybe working with zillions of png files, many of which can look very similar to png files used in a theme itself. So it's just a way to help us keep track...

George Foreman had a similar problem... he dealt with it by naming all his 5 boys, George. hahahaha

You can name the pngs files anything you like, but it really helps when picking one to use in a toolbar if the function it is for is in the file name.

Here is a personal example: I'm making a slew of triple wide TB icons that essentially are text labels but are larger and therefore more descriptive of the actions they are for. But in the window that shows you all the TB icons, they are visually much the same and since they are oversized there is no chance of picking one with the eyes. But in the filter I can type something that is in their name and get the correct one to use in the TB.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #10
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
first let me say that Cincicat69's triton series are excellent themes if you like them... not to say there are not other excellent user made themes...

I'd offer that using the toolbar word in the first part of the name is helpful to those that maybe working with zillions of png files, many of which can look very similar to png files used in a theme itself. So it's just a way to help us keep track...

George Foreman had a similar problem... he dealt with it by naming all his 5 boys, George. hahahaha

You can name the pngs files anything you like, but it really helps when picking one to use in a toolbar if the function it is for is in the file name.

Here is a personal example: I'm making a slew of triple wide TB icons that essentially are text labels but are larger and therefore more descriptive of the actions they are for. But in the window that shows you all the TB icons, they are visually much the same and since they are oversized there is no chance of picking one with the eyes. But in the filter I can type something that is in their name and get the correct one to use in the TB.
The main reason I do not like the "toolbar" word at the beginning of the name it makes the sorting off, if I'm looking for icon "split@cursor I have to look for "toolbarsplit@cursor" now when I look at that a year from now, what did I mean by splitting the toolbar.
I will use your advice and put "-TB" at the end of the name, it would be nice to have a file extension of tb.
This gets me thinking can a alias extension be set up in windows.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:34 AM   #11
Pet

Hi Curtis, sorry for being not precise,
with "inside a theme" I meant the *.ReaperThemeZip. There the word "toolbar" is needed to identifiy and show the icons in the toolbar-icons window.

If you copy them to your e.g. "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Data\too lbar_icons" you can name them as you like.
Using "z-" as prefix would sort them at the end of that window. E.g. "z-split@cursor", "z-split@timeselection", "z-split@looppoints" and so on.

Last edited by Pet; 03-27-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #12
Curtis
Banned

I think it would helpful to have reaper see folders within the toolbar_icons folder.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #13
Curtis
Banned

My revised toolbar names I think are easier to find by placing "-TB" at end of name.

Eg.

Transport_stop-TB
folder_add_new-TB
grid_adjust_decrease-TB