Old 02-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
MStack
Human being with feelings

Default Sample Rate issues in 5.33

Anyone have any experience with sessions opening at 48.1kHz, even if the session was set up in in 44.1 (or other sample rate)?
Mine keeps defaulting to 48, but then switches back immediately once I open the settings to look at it....
The actual audio playback doesn't seem to be affected. Everything seems to work ok, but I don't like knowing there's some bug in there.
Any tips or suggestions?

Let me also add that the problem persists whether I am using built in audio out or connected to my interface (Duet I), so it doesn't seem to be an issue of communication between the two...
MStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
MRMJP

Yes. I always work at 96k in REAPER, but now and then after closing a session and reopening an existing session, sometimes REAPER will change to 88.2k for no reason that I can see.

I always have to keep an eye on it and makes sure REAPER is not resampling everything to 88.2k. I usually get a clue in that it takes a moment to start playback as opposed to the usual snappy response with REAPER.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
Nystagmus

Default sample rate changes

I think that's a soundcard and ASIO issue.
I think any program that uses the soundcard can change the sample rate; it depends upon a lot of driver things. Check your audio device and playback settings as well as project defaults. There is some setting to allow or disallow rate changes.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
MStack

Default Still having sample rate grief

I am still experiencing this issue. I've managed to find more threads on this and it seems like it's not uncommon, but the problem seems like it may be Mac-specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Doesn't this option exist on Mac???

Up until now, this problem was merely annoying, but recently it became more serious for me, when projects wouldn't open - possibly due to the sample rate confusion (Soundtoys, for example, seemed to cause it to crash).

I've found a workaround, by changing the default sample rate in an empty project so that it matches whichever project I want to open... Obviously this is not ideal...
Anyone else got ideas? Any info about whether or not this is being addressed?

Last edited by MStack; 03-14-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
vitalker

Have you tried version 5.35?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
MStack

yes... i always update in hopes this problem will get solved. no luck.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:14 AM   #7
MStack

No more word from anyone...? I'm sort of surprised that not more people have had issues with this.
Any help or direction would be great.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStack View Post
No more word from anyone...?
This has never happened to me, using 3 different audio devices and with different drivers for each (ASIO, WASAPI).

The only confusion was when I set the project at one sample rate but then tried to "override" it in preferences or ASIO (without remembering that the project setting can override those settings).

Windows 7 64-bit, Reaper 64-bit (and Reaper 32-bit).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with sessions opening at 48.1kHz, even if the session was set up in in 44.1 (or other sample rate)?
Mine keeps defaulting to 48, but then switches back immediately once I open the settings to look at it....
Just as an FYI... In Windows... If there are any other apps of any kind, anywhere on your system (including the OS, browser, whathaveyou), in the background or foreground that already has any reference to your sound card, that rate is locked and Reaper will be forced to use that already set sample rate. That's the only scenario I know of that will cause the sample rate to flip like that.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
matthewbarnhart

Just piping in that I have experienced this (Mac, latest REAPER, both Metric Halo and UAD interfaces). I haven't had time to trouble-shoot or gather any extra data.
matthewbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #11
MStack

Thanks @karbomusic - I will investigate that further... tho it happens with or without connection to the interface.