Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 03-24-2017, 06:00 AM   #1
Mr. PC
Human being with feelings

Default View 2 midi tracks as a single notation staff

This is maybe asking for a lot (or maybe not), but I've been thinking a lot about scoring in Reaper, and I think this could be an amazing feature. And it could be an easy way of providing peoples needs to have "voices" without altering Reaper's midi / notation system.

What if it were possible to view 2 staves / tracks as a single staff/clef of multiple voices. For example, I have 2 trombones in my orchestra. Sometimes they play the same line, and sometimes different. I can choose to either view them as a single staff, or as 2 separate staves. Crazy useful for someone with a hundred VSTi going.

Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
pcartwright

This would be cool, but I expect you'd run into problems if you used multiple voices already before they were combined into a single staff view. For example Trombones 1 & 2 were in one track using two voices already and you wanted to add Trombone 3 to the staff as well.

This feature could also be used to view a score reduction which would be incredibly useful.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:23 AM   #3
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
This would be cool, but I expect you'd run into problems if you used multiple voices already before they were combined into a single staff view. For example Trombones 1 & 2 were in one track using two voices already and you wanted to add Trombone 3 to the staff as well.

This feature could also be used to view a score reduction which would be incredibly useful.
Ya, I was thinking this. I guess it would need to count the voices already on the track and add the new track as a 3rd.

However, I don't imagine people who are using multiple voices for a single track then wanting to merge. I know I would only ever want 1 voice per track.

Yes, it would also be incredible for score reduction / view the entire score on a single grand-staff during playback. You could use the track-list panel to easily choose which track is targeted even with 50 tracks all condensed into a grand-staff. Plus note colors by track!! Insane workflow benefits.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Vagalume

For orchestral music would be awesome ...
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote