Old 06-20-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
lxm
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI CC Halp

Hey ya'll. As some might know I got a Linnstrument. Coming back to REAPER now to bring it fully into the workflow. I've been using the Logic project files that he had on his site. I'm not sure how to program the MIDI CC info within REAPER. Need to create a sound in Omnisphere/REAPER that responds to Channel Pressure, Pitch Bend and CC74 messages.

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/linns...-settings.html
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #2
EvilDragon

MIDI editor. You can add lanes below the default velocity one. That's where it's at.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
lxm

I guess I dont understand how to program Omnisphere to send Timbre to CC74 for example. I dont see a way to the default CC's in REAPER either.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
EvilDragon

System page in Omnisphere, set any controller you want to CC74 by MIDI learning it.

It's pretty obvious how MIDI editor works, though. All DAWs have pretty much the same principle... CC lanes are on the bottom. Left side of the CC lane has a dropdown menu to select which CC you want the lane to control.

You're 4 years here on the forum and you don't know how to work the MIDI editor? :/
Old 06-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

I don't think lxm asked anything about the MIDI editor. I believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
System page in Omnisphere, set any controller you want to CC74 by MIDI learning it.
answers the whole question already.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
ivansc

CCs. Sort of the same thing, isnt it?
Even an elderly luddite like me knows how to do that.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I don't think lxm asked anything about the MIDI editor. I believe
I might've misunderstood something. If so, sorry
Old 06-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
lxm

Well you need to use Automate said CC in Omnisphere with REAPERs automation. I dont claim to be an expert.... just trying to learn new things. It was quite a PITA to set up but I "think" I have it now.

I can be shitty at describing things(sorry). Makes sense in my head lol
Old 06-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
EvilDragon

Hmm, no, you don't need to use automation at all... It's just a MIDI CC.

There's a difference between automation and MIDI CC control.

Besides, automation won't work on polyphonic voices in a polyphonic manner (which is why you've got Linnstrument in the first place, I suspect). But CCs will (provided you use one MIDI channel per voice).
Old 06-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
lxm

What else could "control continuous note volume" be called?

Full description:

For held sounds like wind or bowed-string instruments, there is no continuous pressure control.
To add pressure control, you'll need to edit your sound generator presets, using LinnStrument's Polyphonic Pressure messages (sent by default) to control continuous note volume.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #11
EvilDragon

Ah, so it sends out polyphonic aftertouch by default. Reaper doesn't currently have the facility of editing PAT graphically... only in event list (and that's a bitch, naturally).

You should use your Linnstrument in Note per channel mode, and set Loudness/Z so it sends either CC11 (Expression) or CC74. From there on, you can edit that info (after you've recorded it) in the MIDI editor. No real need to mess around with PAT in Reaper when it doesn't have proper facilities for editing it swiftly.

At least that's what I'd suggest.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #12
lxm

Quote:
Ah, so it sends out polyphonic aftertouch by default. Reaper doesn't currently have the facility of editing PAT graphically... only in event list (and that's a bitch, naturally).

You should use your Linnstrument in Note per channel mode, and set Loudness/Z so it sends either CC11 (Expression) or CC74. From there on, you can edit that info (after you've recorded it) in the MIDI editor. No real need to mess around with PAT in Reaper when it doesn't have proper facilities for editing it swiftly.

At least that's what I'd suggest.
Logic can yes? Thats what im confused about. How would Omnisphere for example know how to use Polyphonic Aftertouch? Or any soft synth for that matter.

What would this be called usually in a vsti? I cant seem to figure it out with Omni
Old 06-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
EvilDragon

Logic seems no better for editing PAT events than Reaper. It's either the event list, or a mush of all PAT events for all notes in one lane in Hyper Editor... sucks. Bitwig and FL Studio do this right, as outlined in this FR: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1099.

Omnisphere doesn't support PAT AFAIK (it's not listed in the modulation sources at all). A lot of VSTis don't support it, in fact. It's either called polyphonic aftertouch, or poly pressure.

Use a CC instead, and note per channel mode!
Old 06-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
lxm

Quote:
Logic seems no better for editing PAT events than Reaper. It's either the event list, or a mush of all PAT events for all notes in one lane in Hyper Editor... sucks. Bitwig and FL Studio do this right, as outlined in this FR: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1099.

Omnisphere doesn't support PAT AFAIK (it's not listed in the modulation sources at all). A lot of VSTis don't support it, in fact. It's either called polyphonic aftertouch, or poly pressure.

Use a CC instead, and note per channel mode!
I guess using 'amp' per channel to CC11 would be the next best thing huh. That sucks. I bought it cause Lin said it could do the full 3d control.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #15
EvilDragon

You can still have that control, but the synth has to support it. It's either via PAT, or via note-per-channel and a CC. Both would work. So don't despair.

(CC11 can modulate whatever if the synth supports that, not just volume - and Omni can.)
Old 06-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #16
lxm

Quote:
You can still have that control, but the synth has to support it. It's either via PAT, or via note-per-channel and a CC. Both would work. So don't despair.

(CC11 can modulate whatever if the synth supports that, not just volume - and Omni can.)
http://support.spectrasonics.net/man...on/page04.html

I guess it does. But I dont know how to set it up? NO CC attached to it...
Old 06-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #17
EvilDragon

CC11 _is_ "Expression". So if you use that modulation source, it's going to modulate whatever you want.

Alternatively, if you want to control existing modulation in all Omnisphere patches, you should probably remap modwheel to CC11 or whatever on the System tab, as I suggested earlier in the thread.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #18
lxm

Quote:
CC11 _is_ "Expression". So if you use that modulation source, it's going to modulate whatever you want.

Alternatively, if you want to control existing modulation in all Omnisphere patches, you should probably remap modwheel to CC11 or whatever on the System tab, as I suggested earlier in the thread.
I agree but there is no controller to move within Lin to make Omni behave that way. ED... why cant shit just work!? I wanna just make stuff lol.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #19
EvilDragon

Sure there is. You have X, Y and Z axes to play with. Set Z to send CC11 or channel pressure, instead of poly pressure by default...

In short, RTFM
Old 06-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #20
lxm

Quote:
Sure there is. You have X, Y and Z axes to play with. Set Z to send CC11 or channel pressure, instead of poly pressure by default...

In short, RTFM
I am! Trust me. Thats the thing. Its on Chan pres. Dosent have the desired affect of aftertouch to swell the notes(dosent work). I send 'amp' and 'part level' to CC11 and sort of does what it should but then it fucks with the dynamics/playability of the thing.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:41 AM   #21
EvilDragon

Perhaps channel pressure does nothing in the actual preset in Omni (it's not assigned in the mod matrix)? That's why you should probably set it to send Linnstrument to send CC1 for Z.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #22
lxm

Quote:
Perhaps channel pressure does nothing in the actual preset in Omni (it's not assigned in the mod matrix)? That's why you should probably set it to send Linnstrument to send CC1 for Z.
You mean CC11 right? Yeah, mapping expression dosent play nice either... Cuts the sound off when you lift your finger from a pad. It does 'work' with pressure other than that issue. Maybe its not possible with Omni?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:22 AM   #23
EvilDragon

I dunno, man. There's only so much I can help without actually owning a Linnstrument.

No, I meant try CC1, not CC11.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #24
martygras

I find assigning aftertouch,(channel aftertouch) to multiple destinations complex enough. Polyphonic aftertouch is a whole new can of worms.

If movement in 3D space is what you are after, there may be other ways to achieve that effect more easily.
A Kaoss type pad comes to mind, or perhaps automation of a spacial plug-in after the fact.

Or I just don't know what you wanted to do in the first place. In that case, disregard everything I said.

...and good luck, but let us know what you find out. It might help others in the future.