Old 05-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
Bandini
Human being with feelings

Default Drums for Reaper

Hello!

I`ve just bought Reaper and I need some help. Do you know where to get drums for reaper. I just need something simple to keep the beat.
I found this: http://www.majken.se/index.php?optio...id=25#comments

but I can`t figure out how to use it in Reaper. Hope you can help me with this.

B
Bandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
brainwreck

i've been using this for sketching stuff out. no fancy multi-velocity or anything, but it sounds very decent. with a little tweaking, it's pretty versatile, too.

http://www.jakerock.com/DIYAUDIO_JAK...RUMSAMPLES.htm
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
brainwreck

i use this sometimes, too. before i upgraded my ram, loading was very slow. just a warning.

http://www.bluenoise.no/mydrumset.html
Old 05-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
Bandini

Oki! I`m trying to figure out the jakerock, but don`t know how the readrums works. Could you take it step by step?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandini View Post
Oki! I`m trying to figure out the jakerock, but don`t know how the readrums works. Could you take it step by step?
just load the track template, point reaper to the samples when asked for the location, the rest works like any other vsti. if you don't know how to use a vsti yet, check the manual.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Bandini

I`m almost there, but what do to get the drums playing when I have the readrums from Jake on the screen. (the fx chain in the display). Maybe I just misunderstand the concept of this.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
scottdru

Quote:
I`m almost there, but what do to get the drums playing when I have the readrums from Jake on the screen. (the fx chain in the display). Maybe I just misunderstand the concept of this.
Do you have a MIDI controller of some type ) like a keyboard or something? That would generally be the preferred method for programming in drum beats.

If you don't have that, you can draw the notes in, in the MIDI editor -- though you need to create an empty MIDI item in the track first (see Reaper manual for further explanation).

Or you can use Reaper's built-in virtual MIDI keyboard to play the notes in with your mouse (again, see Reaper manual).

- Eddie Izzard
scottdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
hardplay

If you just want to play around you can use Reaper and your soundcard to record these virtual drums that you can play with your keyboard

http://www.virtualdrumming.com/drums...-drumming.html
Old 05-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
brainwreck

Quote:
i have a few minutes to kill. right click on the 'ar' button of your track, select midi inputs > all midi inputs > all channels. if you have a hardware keyboard, push some keys and see what happens. if not, go to view > show virtual midi keyboard. when the little onscreen keyboard pops up, click on it's keys to play it or play via your typing keyboard. right click on the keys for octave up/down. readrums starts at C2 (kick) and the corresponding typing keyboard keys are labeled on the virtual keyboard keys.

you can also program loops using the midi editor if that's your thing. hold the ctrl key down and draw a blank item in the timeline, double click it to open in the midi editor. double click in the grid to add/remove notes.

Last edited by brainwreck; 05-09-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Bandini

Yeah.. I thank you very much for your help. I just need some straight forward drum patterns to try out some ideas, and I don`t need to program the drums from scratch.. I want to use this like presets on a drum machine. Is that posible?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
brainwreck

Quote:
Yeah.. I thank you very much for your help. I just need some straight forward drum patterns to try out some ideas, and I don`t need to program the drums from scratch.. I want to use this like presets on a drum machine. Is that posible?
yea, you just need to midi loops that are mapped to the right notes.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Not to keep dragging out the dead horse and beating it, but the ReaNINJAM plugin is there for a reason, USE IT!

This is the closest thing to a community building vst that ever existed. Justin put a lot of work into this thing and its fun as hell, needs to get used more often

and

We need more drummers on there!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:44 AM   #13
Bandini

I hoped for something like this:
(From discussion about addictive drums)
"Start a Reaper project and create a track. Click on the FX button for the track, and select Addictive Drums from the list of VSTI plugins. The Addictive Drums GUI will now be displayed. Click on 'continue with demo', and then click the start button (triangle) to the right of the Addictive Drums logo. AD will start, but you will hear nothing. Now arm the track where AD has been inserted (button to the far left of the track will turn red when you click on it). You should now hear the drums. Go back to the AD GUI, and click on the 'beats' button. You can now select from the loops that are listed, and as you click on each you will hear it play. When you find one that you like, just drag it into a Reaper track. You can drag as many loops as you want in"

I`m a newbie to this, so your help is much appreciated, but when you`re saying that I just need to midi loops that are mapped to the right notes, I just don`t know what to do... For you this is probably the simplest thing, and maybe my project is like starting to read Ulysses before you`ve cracked the readingcode. Maybe there is some kind of step by step tutorial somewhere?

B
Old 05-10-2009, 03:11 AM   #14
pipelineaudio
Mortal

The guys in the chatroom would probably help you thru it pretty quick.

Watching my gf's technophobe dad writing songs in EZ drummer after just a few minutes of messing around with it was pretty inspiring
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #15
Amberience

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Not to keep dragging out the dead horse and beating it, but the ReaNINJAM plugin is there for a reason, USE IT!

This is the closest thing to a community building vst that ever existed. Justin put a lot of work into this thing and its fun as hell, needs to get used more often

and

We need more drummers on there!
Sounds like a good idea! I'll jump on there at some point with BFD2 and my TD-6.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:53 AM   #16
hardplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
What does it do ?
use it for what?
how does it work?

A problem with many of those js ane rea plugins (mea culpa), is that i don't even know what they are !
Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #17
Bandini

I came across EZdrummer (also mentioned in this thread)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmISX... yer_embedded

This looks like what I`m looking for, but have no money for it now. Do you know any similar programs that are for free?

B
Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #18
brainwreck

Quote:
I`m a newbie to this, so your help is much appreciated, but when you`re saying that I just need to midi loops that are mapped to the right notes, I just don`t know what to do... For you this is probably the simplest thing, and maybe my project is like starting to read Ulysses before you`ve cracked the readingcode. Maybe there is some kind of step by step tutorial somewhere?

B
there's a midi file included with that jakerock/readrums folder. in reaper go to 'insert > media file' and find the .mid file. once it's in your track, double click it and you'll be in the midi editor. each piece of the drum kit is mapped to a note on the keyboard. you can right click over a key to select all the hits of that piece of the kit, then drag them up and down. i'm telling you this because you could use midi files that were programmed for some other drum plugin, moving notes up/down if needed. not all drum vstis are going to be mapped the same way. you could also use the jesusonic plugin 'midi_keymap' to adjust for this type of thing. i know your new to all this, but the more you try things and think them out, the easier it becomes. i don't mean to sound preachy, i'm just saying that this stuff requires some orientation and thought.

also, pipeline hinted at an excellent suggestion, ezdrummer.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #19
brainwreck

Quote:
I came across EZdrummer (also mentioned in this thread)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmISX... yer_embedded

This looks like what I`m looking for, but have no money for it now. Do you know any similar programs that are for free?

B
i'z to late.

i think addictive drums has a demo that you could try.