Old 08-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
BCF1
Human being with feelings

Default budget interface for pc ??

I'm sure this question has been asked before but with the rate at which technology progresses opinions may change too. Any advice on decent budget - semi budget interface for pc w/win 7 ?? I got 3.4 quad core 8 gig ram if it matters. I started recording a year or so ago and still currently record through the line in of the on board audio of my gigabyte board.
Here are recent examples:

https://app.box.com/s/ps7axfs3z1o4qkixohcoxvwbpa9byz4e

https://app.box.com/s/nk8irkhow89jfe629575jj8gn2l4l2wu

I know almost any interface should be an improvement over on board audio and should hopefully take my recordings up a notch but could use and would appreciate any opinions and guidance in selecting a interface. Thanks
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
trevlyns

Obviously a wide open topic - but my penny's worth.

First, depends on how many ins and outs you need. I'm a one man band-it so just a guitar and mic are OK for me.

I've only ever seen good PR of Focusrite products so starting with the 'baby' have a look at the Solo or 2i2 - of course, there are more models in the range with multiple ins.

I'm a tight fisted old git and picked up an older Focusrite Saffire LE (6 in 8 out) on e-bay for just 25 quid. I'd never change
Old 08-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
cyrano

Look at Behringer. It's not gonna get any cheaper...

The mic preamps are good and neutral. The rest just works. Build quality is very good if you take the price into account.

The Behringer U-Phoria UM2 is around 60 € over here, as it is end-of-life and will be replaced soon. If you want 2 mic channels, the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 is around 90 €. Or the Behringer UMC404, with 4 mic preamps and 4 outputs at 130 €…

Also good in the budget segment, but not as neutral, the Art Tube MP:

http://www.thomann.de/be/art_tube_mp...series_usb.htm

And this one boasts 70 dB gain. Important if you count on using ribbon mics.

A wee bit more expensive is the Steinberg UR12, at 100 €.

All of these selected because they have good and recent drivers.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
dub tree

I love my Mackie Onyx Blackjack. I've been using it for a few years now, and while it is rather limited in terms of I/O, it has lovely preamps for the price, and has been rock solid performance-wise with my Win7 laptop. I've even trusted it live on stage. I've tried various entry-level Presonus, Focusrite and M-Audio interfaces, but I like the Blackjack so much that I bought two of them and haven't even considered upgrading (until I absolutely NEED more ins/outs).

I think they go for about US$99 new, nowadays.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
BCF1

Hey thanks for the imput guys I appreciate it will hopefully pick something up soon. 6/8 would be great if I was to hook up with the old band mates again but thinking 4 outs would work well and could live with 2. Lots to chose from be it in store, ebay or local craigslist market. Thanks again for the input !!
Old 08-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
yep

"Budget" is a hazy term, but I would suggest buying used, and shopping based on latency and stability reviews first.

Virtually any outboard audio interface made in the past ten years is going to have equal or better converters to the ones in this demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9...ature=youtu.be

I firmly believe that probably 99% of the difference in quality between expensive vs cheap converters can be mostly or completely negated with careful gain-staging (that is, the offenders in "cheap" sounding converters are not the conversion chip, but the analog front-end, especially at or near peak current/voltage handling).

The advantage to buying used is that used gear can be re-sold for something closer to purchase price.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
partonkevin

For band use and budget...Tascam all the way. Tascam US-16x08 is priced good. About $300. I have the Tascam US-1641. It's the first version from several years ago. I love it. The pre amps are clean and neutral. I can record 16 tracks at once if I get creative and add an external mixer. My version has some monitoring limitations that I've worked around, but the newest version has a DSP mixer that addresses those limitations.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
BCF1

Thanks for all the imput guys !!!

So I found a Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 on Craigslist dudes asking $120 o.b.o
I have a firewire port on my system and am thinking about picking it up. Any thoughts on this unit ? or compared to the scarlett line ?
Old 08-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
innuendo

I've seen good reviews of the Steinberg stuff but never used it.
Probably it will be better than focusrite.

And it's better to avoid firewire. If you have a good FireWire controller, it will be fiddly. If your controller is less than good, it can be a nightmare...

Anyway, good preamps cost good money, and there is no way around this.
The converters are less important, but they do contribute to the outcome. I've compared converters in isolation (m-audio profire vs rme ucx), and there is an audible difference in quality. It all adds up.

Focusrite is not bad build-quality-wise and stability-wise, but they sound like sh*t. Avoid m-audio and Motu (poor build quality).

Bottom line is, if you want decent sound quality, good build quality and rock-solid drivers, go RME. Otherwise take a look at Steinberg.
innuendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:05 AM   #10
Full Kick Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post

Focusrite is not bad build-quality-wise and stability-wise, but they sound like sh*t. Avoid m-audio and Motu (poor build quality).
IMHO that statement about Focusrite only holds for their entry level stuff... the high end focusrite products are phenominal!
Definitely agree about build quality of m-audio though...
Full Kick Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
stevedcook

The Steinberg UR22 is pretty good bang for the buck. Built solidly and doesn't seem glitchy...
stevedcook is offline   Reply With Quote