Old 09-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
jnorman34
Human being with feelings

Default Need some help with ReaFir...

i am trying to use ReaFir for noise reduction. i understand the procedure to accomplish this, but when i apply the noise reduction, it has some serioud effects on EQ - ie, it pretty much wipes out the top end frequencies. even using reaEQ in the chain after ReaFir, i cannot seem to get any top end back, no matter how much i boost it.

how do you deal with the loss of high frequencies when you use ReaFir in subtract mode?

secondly, can you only use Reafir in one mode at a time? if i apply subtract mode for noise reduction, and then try to put it in EQ mode, i get no sound at all... is that normal? are you supposed to insert more than one instance of ReaFir, and use one for noise reduction, and another for EQ?

thanks.
jnorman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Mr. Data

Hi Jnorman,

Yes, you can use ReaFIR use only in one mode at a time. There is a drop-down menu from which you can only choose one entry.

To have as less sideeffects as possible in using ReaFIR as a noise reduction unit, you have to search a part first that only has noise in it. Make a selection and loop it. Then tick "Automatically build noise profile (enable during noise)". Don't forget to untick this if you have run the loop a few times. Also you can experiment with the "FFT Size". If you now still have problems with getting the high frequencies, set "Edit mode" to "Precise" and draw in the graphical display.

ReaFIR can be used to reduce noise, but it isn't the best solution, because it lacks the ability to set important parameters.

HTH anyway.

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
jnorman34

thanks data - so, is there another plugin or approach i should be using for noise reduction? free, hopefully...
Old 09-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Alistair S

You can also grab the red line drawn of the noise profile and drag it down (ctrl-drag). You may want to increase the number shown bottom right to around -150 to give yourself room.

This reduces the level of NR applied, basically. The problem is that the noise you are reducing includes some frequencies of the sound you want to keep. Reduce those frequencies and you lose some of the "good sound" too. Reduce them less and keep some noise. It's a compromise.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
jnorman34

ahh - "increase the number shown bottom right to around -150 to give yourself room." good one - several of the points were below the bottom of the screen. thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Mr. Data

Hey Alistair,

thanks! I didn't know the ctrl-drag thing.

Jnorman, I don't know free plugs for this. The ones that I know are quite expensive. There's a Waves Restoration bundle, Sony Restoration bundle, Virtos, Izotope RX, to name but a few. They all have their pros and cons. Often it depends on the audio material which one is the best for a specific task.

But ReaFIR at least is better than to have nothing at all.

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
mtthw

There are a few I haven't tried yet that might help, but I have had some luck using Reafir and T-sledge together.

Reafir, create noise profile, which is basically just some equalizer settings it seems that are automatically created, then you can draw in changes to the equalizer settings.

T-sledge, using the "Air Preset", Adjusting the knobs, for some samples it has really been very effective in combination with a filter or equalizer.
mtthw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
manning1

jnorman34
there are a couple of things with reafir to understand.
1. getting the right noise print.
2. understanding reafirs controls and how much nr to apply.
3. playing back in real time while adjusting the level of nr.
4. permanently applying the nr.
5. remembering to delete reafir once nr is applied.
(this last point i suspect is catching some people.)
if you post the problem track somewhere on a free upload/download site.
i would be happy to look at it and comment in more detail,
and post back a noise reduced example.
(i'm daft n enjoy editing n forensics stuff..lol.)
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote