Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Boddrick
Human being with feelings

Default 'No CD in Drive' message gets stuck

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before or whether it's a Windows limitation or something, but here's the issue.

I had a project open that made use of a couple of drum samples off a CD. Like a tool I hadn't yet got 'round to copying the samples onto my hard drive, so REAPER was getting them straight from the CD. At some point I opened the CD drive. Then I right-clicked one of the audio samples in REAPER to access the Item Properties. At this point (or maybe I then clicked Item Properties at the bottom of the following dialog box, I don't remember), the error dialog shown in the screenshot below popped up.

When that dialog appeared, I could no longer progress. Clicking any of the 3 options presented by the dialog box simply returned the dialog box. Eventually the interface behind the dialog box was whited out as in the screenshot, and I had to force a close.

Obviously this can easily be avoided if people just avoid running samples off a CD (which is just good practice anyway), but it might catch a few people out if they aren't aware of this.

So yeah, just an FYI. Oh, and I hadn't made any changes to my project during that session, so happy days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REAPER Issue.jpg (43.3 KB, 234 views)
Boddrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
danfuerth

Sorry for your troubles there, and yes there is no answer except maybe if you can I can provide a work around

If you have let's say 4 gigs of ram or more even less works as well

You can make a software ram drive and use up let's say 700 megs of your ram as a hardrive. The thing here is after you can go to your ram drive app and let it save that drive as an image, now when you reboot ( ram is volatile, you will loose that data on the ram drive, but since you saved it as an image, now when you reboot and go back to windows hehehe the image is loaded into ram again.

2nd option

Copy that cd using Imgburn
Install power iso, in options in power ISO use the virtual cd rom section so that image that you copied can now be loaded as a virtual cd rom. Reaper will access it like it's a cdrom but it is on your hardrive instead .

Nice feature
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
karbomusic

That's the OS error that intercepts when a call is made to a file on a drive that doesn't exist. Why don't you put the CD back in to get past the error? Otherwise, you'll have to remove the references to the sample(s) from the project file itself.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Boddrick

OK, I thought it would probably be a Windows problem. Most problems are Windows problems after all! In life generally.

Nice workarounds. I was actually doing this for a stupid reason, anyway. I had copied the samples onto my hard drive, and deliberately accessed the sample properties while the CD was not inserted, hoping REAPER would bring up a dialog box asking me to locate the files elsewhere. I figured out how you're SUPPOSED to do that now, so there's no problem.

Cheers guys!
Boddrick is offline   Reply With Quote