Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
plgrmsprgrs
Human being with feelings

Default New Interface (Komplete Audio 6) Observations/Questions

My M-Audio Fast Tract C400 died and I replaced it with a Komplete Audio 6 from Native Instruments. Listening to some reference tracks I have some observations.

This interface sounds different than my C400. I've been struggling with how do describe the difference. But, I think I'd say that the sound is more clinical. I'm hearing some details that I'd missed in the past. Perhaps there's a stronger representation of transients. The harmony parts are generally easier to distinguish, but the center at times sounds a bit less forward. Bass is not so prominent as it was with the C400. Highs have a touch more edge to them. The sound stage is still wide but the different tracks seem less unified and individually punchier.

It really is a different listening experience and I'll have to become reacquainted with my monitors. I'm not quite sure what to make of this entirely unexpected development, and I guess I'm wondering if something similar has happened to others when they've changed interfaces/sound cards. Is what I'm hearing now more accurate than what the M-Audio was producing? Is there perhaps a problem with the new unit because there should be no change? I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Kyle
Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgrmsprgrs View Post
My M-Audio Fast Tract C400 died and I replaced it with a Komplete Audio 6 from Native Instruments. Listening to some reference tracks I have some observations.

This interface sounds different than my C400. I've been struggling with how do describe the difference. But, I think I'd say that the sound is more clinical. I'm hearing some details that I'd missed in the past. Perhaps there's a stronger representation of transients. The harmony parts are generally easier to distinguish, but the center at times sounds a bit less forward. Bass is not so prominent as it was with the C400. Highs have a touch more edge to them. The sound stage is still wide but the different tracks seem less unified and individually punchier.

It really is a different listening experience and I'll have to become reacquainted with my monitors. I'm not quite sure what to make of this entirely unexpected development, and I guess I'm wondering if something similar has happened to others when they've changed interfaces/sound cards. Is what I'm hearing now more accurate than what the M-Audio was producing? Is there perhaps a problem with the new unit because there should be no change? I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Kyle
I am on my third different interface, and the only time something to similar to what you are describing happened was when a mixing software (Presonus Audiobox) was unknowingly activated, and it had it's own panning and fx. After sussing that out, everything returned to sounding like it had before with the EMU 0404USB. MAYBE there was a small difference due to different converters for monitoring, but if so, it was slight and not nearly as dramatic as for you. I would think that anything of similar build quality would give you the same sound as long as there is no hidden fx, tone shaping, etc. But if you are perceiving such big differences, I would question the conversion quality in the new interface. Have you by any chance used some of your own material that you are very familiar with as reference material? Do you have the monitors connected to the right out-puts? I'm not trying to insult you, ya know. I am asking the obvious (and sometimes missed) questions. Maybe try tracking through it too. And even if this could be your perception, your feelings on your gear matter, in my opinion. And if you are unsure of your sound quality, return the interface and try a different one. Maybe even the same interface but different one (maybe you got a bad one....?) Good luck!!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
plgrmsprgrs

All is well again. Seems to have been a driver issue. What I'm hearing is pretty much what I'm used to except a touch of the detail increase remains. I've read that the converters in this unit are thought by many to be superior to other products in this price range. I don't know about that in general. But, I can say it appears to be the case when compared to the Fast Track C400 unit I had.

Thanks for input richie!

Kyle
Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
plgrmsprgrs

Actually, the problem turned out to have been with the sample buffer setting. It was too low.

Kyle
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
richie43

Good for you. Time to make music now!!