Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
mikeypee
Human being with feelings

Default How much longer does my license have?

Is there some place I can look that will tell me when I bought my license, what version it was at when I bought it, and what the maximum version it's good for is?

I know I was told this already but I've forgotten and can't figure out how to get the details again. I'm pretty sure I have at least 1 more full version left, but I'd still like to know.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
dtrud0h

Yeah, that would be a challenge for the web dev guys. A java license.rk decipher er... Not to mention a cool feature.
dtrud0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
mikeypee

Hrm dang that does sound hard... but I would assume when a purchase is made, a database record is made somewhere right? The license key isn't just a standalone thing? Hopefully... (gulp)
Old 03-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
mdmiller

The license file shows which version Reaper is valid through.
mdmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
dtrud0h

Yeah,literally. Open it up with Notepad or equivalent.
dtrud0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypee View Post
Is there some place I can look that will tell me when I bought my license, what version it was at when I bought it, and what the maximum version it's good for is?

I know I was told this already but I've forgotten and can't figure out how to get the details again. I'm pretty sure I have at least 1 more full version left, but I'd still like to know.
Your license is good indefinitely, for whatever version of REAPER you have. It doesn't expire.

The purchase page also says this:

Quote:
Your one-user, full-use license includes up to two major version numbers' worth of REAPER's famous frequent upgrades.
Historically, that means that any paid version of REAPER from 4.xx is good for licensed upgrades through 5.xx, at least. So if, for example, you bought version 4.3, you would not have to pay for another upgrade until version 6.0, and possibly not even then, since the "up to" is somewhat ambiguous.

N.B., REAPER has, by far, the most liberal licensing in the industry, and Cockos generally gives every paid user a free upgrade to the next "full integer" release number, so that nobody has to worry that they might be buying version 4.xx the week before version 5.0 comes out. If you bought in the 4.x cycle, then all the 5.x upgrades are included.

It's also noteworthy that REAPER's "whole number" revisions are somewhat arbitrary and tend to be few and far between. For example, REAPER has been on version 4.xx since 2011, and before that, was on version 3.xx for three years.

It's not like other DAWs that save up a bunch of bug-fixes and improvements for an annual new release: upgrades come out constantly, and are mostly free. If you buy it today, it might be 2018 before you have to pay for a new version.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
hopi

how old are? maybe it won't matter.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #8
ponk

True, hopi - you never know your own expiration date

(And great to see yep active on the forums again - best (and most usefull) forum post ever, on any music production forum, is the "ass series"
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283
ponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:52 AM   #9
mikeypee

Sweeeeeet. Thanks you guys. I checked the copy/paste license code and I'm good until 5.99 ... Should have known - I just get paranoid sometimes especially that I'm way into this thing.

Yep - thank you. Yeah I've been saving copies of the install files so I can remain on a lower version, should the version surpass my license while I'm too poor to buy another license.

As far as Reaper's pricing/business/license model, you're preaching to the choir with me. I love the way they do things so much that I am like Senor Reaper Fanboy day and night. Just yesterday I was majorly badgering a facebook friend over his choice of ProTools; I was going on and on and on in the comments about both Reaper's features and their licensing scheme, and just how awesome in general they are. I even already have my first true convert - a fellow gigging musician that I've tricked into installing Reaper and spent hours giving her tips on how to start recording herself, and urging her to help me convert all our musician friends. In a way, I behave like a Reaper priest, or Reaper cancer, or ... wait... I ... nevermind sorry.

Hopi - was that what I think it was? lololol I'm not THAT old... for the love of Peter.

zOMG! I've totally read the "ass series" before. Great stuff man!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:35 AM   #10
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypee View Post
... Yeah I've been saving copies of the install files so I can remain on a lower version, should the version surpass my license while I'm too poor to buy another license.
You can save yourself a tiny bit of disk space:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download-old.php
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Bod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
how old are? maybe it won't matter.
I lol'd....
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
I lol'd....
Me too and believe me in my case it really doesn't matter LOL Well not too much I will be very happy to still be around for the end of version 5 and even happier if my brain still allows me to use it.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
TimothyMcG

Default It's not free

Almost every time I start preaching about Reaper to those who don't use it, I get the response "Oh yea, that's the free DAW!" I guess that's part of the free download mentality these days. I just tell them that as a Pro Tools user, I wanted to use the AU and VST plugins and looked around for wrappers and in doing so, I kept reading about people who love Reaper. I then went on to Cockos's site and read that it is ReWire compatible and that there was a full feature version to download for evaluation. Three days later I purchased a V4.0 license. I guess there are those who are willing to evaluate forever but when I see something that blows my mind and has such a modest cost, why wouldn't I want to support a small company? BTW I now only use Pro Tools when I want to use some of the RTAS plugins that I payed a lot of money for or when I want to collaborate on a project in PT format. The rest of the time it's Reaper. Hey, it even allows me to generate LTC so my Kyma system can lock to it... and that's on Avid hardware! WTF? When my license runs out I'll be more that happy to purchase a new one; no question about it. Sorry if this is a bit off topic.
TimothyMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
Muzikman2008

A lot of people are "Name Snobs" they like to own "Pro-Tools because their influencial artists use it and think it makes them better musically... well it doesn't! REAPER is by far the best DAW i have used so far and will continue to use. It offeres everything i need for music production of any kind, value for money, great business model, help forum, small footprint, great work throughput, VST support, Midi is limited but useable (for my needs) and its reliable as hell!.. I have converted a few people to Reaper, and i certainly wouldn't if i thought it wasn't worth the learning curve.

If you put a Pro-Tools logo on the spalsh screen and charged £500 you would sell by the bucket load, because people are so gullable! :-)
Muzikman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote