Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Zeupater
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Hardware Keyboards and Synths

Finally, I think I am getting to the point of using my keyboards and racks via MIDI with Reaper. However, I'm still kind of a little stuck.

Using an XV-88 as my main controller and sound source for now.

`The MIDI input isworking fine. The notes are actually being recorded, they can be seen as they are being recorded on the piano roll.

`The keyboard's audio is being monitored just fine when I play the XV's keys. Also, monitors just find during recording as well.

However ...

Now that I have MIDI notes recorded I can't get them to play back. I would like to have the XV set to transmit on channel 1, and receive on channel 2. But it's not working even with 'all channels' engaged.

I have used MIDI for years, and have done some pretty complex MIDI projects using SMPTE, drum machines and later Adats w/ MTC and several synths and racks. Now I'm learning DAW recording, learning to like it (24-bit 96k sure sounds sweet) and I am particularly impressed with Reaper, but still not up to speed with Reaper and MIDI with the same proficiency.

Can some wise, experienced MIDI studio guru out there show me what I am doing wrong and point me in the right direction?

Sincerely
~David
Zeupater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Have you selected your MIDI interface as "MIDI hardware output" on the recorded tracks (in the I/O menu) in order to send the output back to them?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Zeupater

Default I did it ...

Well, this must have been the one option I did not try. Yes, I changed the setting in the i/o of the recorded MIDI channel but I must have had the receive channel off or the wrong MIDI channel selected or something.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. It did the trick. I thought maybe I was going crazy, it not working the way I thought it was supposed to. Back to work...
Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Zeupater

Default Channels and Modules

I would like to be able to assign MIDI channels to keyboards and synths. So far I haven't had much luck. Any help anybody may have to offer?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
danfuerth

okay so let me get this straight..

Record from keyboard, then send that midi out to the same keyboard but to play it's onboard sounds??

You need to right click a track and click "show midi controls"
screenshot provided ( this is my digitech guitar fx being controlled through reaper midi controls)

side note..Like Oli said

On the tracks output routing screen on the right top side , here you can choose the midi out device and beneath it you have the channel to send it to.

Make sure your midi device is setup in reaper's preferences midi section
here is a screenshot

Last edited by danfuerth; 09-01-2012 at 02:00 PM.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Zeupater

Default ¿ReaControlMIDI?

Thank you for your reply. So is the only way to retransmit MIDI with ReaControlMIDI? I tried using it but I was getting quite a lot of delay so I have been looking for a different way. I was hoping to simply use my controller (VX-88) to play the notes (input) 1 then send back out to any channel I like ... like other synths, mostly modules such as a K2000R

Yes, I will likely use sounds from the VX-88 but I would like to send MIDI out on any channel to any other external hardware.

~David

Btw, the Digitech 2112 is excellent. My brother has been using his for about 15 years now. In fact I may get to see him perform live this Saturday.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeupater View Post
Thank you for your reply. So is the only way to retransmit MIDI with ReaControlMIDI? I tried using it but I was getting quite a lot of delay so I have been looking for a different way. I was hoping to simply use my controller (VX-88) to play the notes (input) 1 then send back out to any channel I like ... like other synths, mostly modules such as a K2000R

Yes, I will likely use sounds from the VX-88 but I would like to send MIDI out on any channel to any other external hardware.

~David

Btw, the Digitech 2112 is excellent. My brother has been using his for about 15 years now. In fact I may get to see him perform live this Saturday.
Hi,

HAvnt read the whole post, but what struck out was the Reacontrol midi delay part..u have the midi channels at the top of Reacontrol midi set to all.

Guido

Edit.... ok ..u need to read nicolas Reaper user guide's section about using midi with Reaper. In short u go to the Output Routing window for ur track and select the track output midi channel at the bottom right. U dont need Reacontrol midi to send midi. Reaper works ..in a lot of ways..just like any other midi daw.

Ur almost there..and im sure u know to turn local off on the Roland.

Last edited by Guido; 05-03-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote