Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
jaki54321
Human being with feelings

Default Is there a mixer I can use with reaper?

Hello, I have been lookin at mixing boards because well I want to learn how to use one, and so I can own one because I like actually messing with physical devices more then software. I've been looking at the Mackie Onyx series mixers(Run on firewire). Also I have been looking at the Behringer Xenyx X1832USB mixer. If I hooked these up to my computer, will they be able to stream any audio I put in them directly to reaper?

And if its pretty much pointless to do that(I have a pod studio UX2 that I hook my guitar up to), then I would like a control surface, i have been looking at the Behringer B-Control Fader BCF2000. Will that be nice to use for reaper?

Thank you for all your support. I'm a curious boy... xD
jaki54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
strunkdts

I rekon the Onyx before Xenyx and the BCF2000 looks killer and would be a great option. Theres threads here all about how to get it up n running with Reaps proper too. For their price they seem like a great deal. One wouldnt be enuff, chain up 3 of em and youd be rockin. Plenty of cheap controllers out there. Novations got that newish cool slider mixer dj thingy and the lil cheap korg nanos will do the trick too and almost anything can be rigged to move faders and eqs around.

good luck

edit: you got an external ADDA/souncard? This is needed. Though the Onyx FW thing could get around that, I dunno?, not sure about them , but for multiple track streaming/tracking/recording you will def need/want multiple input interface/souncard/ADDA/, then hook up yer flash new Onyx. I prefer to use a real mixer too, though havnt powered up my 24channel mackie in a long time cos im working in the box more n more these days, but i do really miss being able to ride multiple faders at once and get busy with the EQs. I will always get a more energetic and dynamic mix this way, instead of getting bogged down with endless automation edits. Both have their pros and cons. But theres just a certain something you get with hardware that digital with never reproduce, not yet anyway. And its not a sound thing its more to do with presence.

Last edited by strunkdts; 03-20-2010 at 03:45 AM.
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by strunkdts View Post
One wouldnt be enuff, chain up 3 of em and youd be rockin.
... or get your hands on one of these:

They are no longer in production but if you search a secondhand unit could be had for cheap. I'm very happy with mine

More info: http://www.tascam.com/products/us-2400.html
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
strunkdts

whats the emoticon for envious little blown out dude?

thats really cool, 'grem. Ive never seen one of these ever, well maybe never taken any notice till now. Automated faders? Its specs are pretty sweet, trawling Ebay tonight and beg my girlfriend for another loan. Yeah, right!

edit: ive never understood why all these set ups only ever have 1 one CC controller per track!!!! I want 2 at the very least. Even better give us 8. 4 for eqs, 2 for sends and a couple of delay/fx parameters just like a proper 8 buss analog mixer. Or why dont someone make an 8buss analog mixer with all the shit and some transport controll that flies into ya daw from out the back with firewire and clock n stuff and there ya go!? But then we're talking proper consoles that put you back 30-300 grand! But that example above would be a real killer, or maybe its just me that sees the appeal?

Last edited by strunkdts; 03-20-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
technogremlin

Quote:
edit: ive never understood why all these set ups only ever have 1 one CC controller per track!!!! I want 2 at the very least. Even better give us 8. 4 for eqs, 2 for sends and a couple of delay/fx parameters just like a proper 8 buss analog mixer.
The Tascam has a mode for what you ask, although I still have to get it to work with Reaper. One of the buttons switches the 24 rotary knobs on top to 'channel strip mode'; some are already labeled for six aux-busses, 4 sets of gain/freq/Q and a dedicated pan for the channelstrip-mode. Leaves 5 knobs to assign to whatever you like (labeled knobs are also assignable to anything me thinks).

I really hope to get the channelstrip-mode working with klinke's new surface extention.

Oh, and the rotary-readouts also double as VU-meters
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
... or get your hands on one of these:

[Image deleted]

They are no longer in production but if you search a secondhand unit could be had for cheap. I'm very happy with mine

More info: http://www.tascam.com/products/us-2400.html
There's one on eBay for $1100 us.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
jaki54321

Quote:
I rekon the Onyx before Xenyx and the BCF2000 looks killer and would be a great option. Theres threads here all about how to get it up n running with Reaps proper too. For their price they seem like a great deal. One wouldnt be enuff, chain up 3 of em and youd be rockin. Plenty of cheap controllers out there. Novations got that newish cool slider mixer dj thingy and the lil cheap korg nanos will do the trick too and almost anything can be rigged to move faders and eqs around.

good luck

edit: you got an external ADDA/souncard? This is needed. Though the Onyx FW thing could get around that, I dunno?, not sure about them , but for multiple track streaming/tracking/recording you will def need/want multiple input interface/souncard/ADDA/, then hook up yer flash new Onyx. I prefer to use a real mixer too, though havnt powered up my 24channel mackie in a long time cos im working in the box more n more these days, but i do really miss being able to ride multiple faders at once and get busy with the EQs. I will always get a more energetic and dynamic mix this way, instead of getting bogged down with endless automation edits. Both have their pros and cons. But theres just a certain something you get with hardware that digital with never reproduce, not yet anyway. And its not a sound thing its more to do with presence.
Hmm... What do you mean my external soundcard? I have a Pod Studio UX2 by line 6 which is external and can be used as the computers main soundcard. Do I need something with midi ports as well or something? I am extremely limited on USB hubs, my brand new imac as only 3 ports which are already being used! So my only bet right now is firewire unless I can find a USB hub that can run music equipment.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
sightlessness

Isn't there a list of compatible mixers? I'd love to buy one and use automated faders like in a Digi 002.
Also, is there a way to use a mixer with automated faders (working along Reaper) and using a preamp-preinterface (like one with 24 converters-channels) at the same time?
sightlessness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
strunkdts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaki54321 View Post
Hmm... What do you mean my external soundcard? I have a Pod Studio UX2 by line 6 which is external and can be used as the computers main soundcard. Do I need something with midi ports as well or something? I am extremely limited on USB hubs, my brand new imac as only 3 ports which are already being used! So my only bet right now is firewire unless I can find a USB hub that can run music equipment.
The pod will work, does it only have 2 inputs though? I suggested a souncard with more inputs, like atleast 8 with a couple of optical IO's so as to make the most of your mixer. U know, so you can record more than one stereo track at a time, or not having to record a whole mix bussed down into a stero out.
Something like the awesome Focusrite OctoPre MkII, or MOTU;s and even M-Audio has one with heaps of inputs, (even better you want the pre-amps, cos next after the mixer youll want the outboard preamps and compressors and reverbs ) alot of these soundcards you can daisychain together, so if you get the onyx you could run a direct out from each channel straight into the soundcard into Reaper and having a one to one relationship to your tracks and mixer. An awesome way to do it I rekon, bit more expensive, but its the way Id like to go,having a fair bit of hardware, just need a bigger soundcard.

I dont know how the Onyx works exactly, but what you said about soundcards having midi ports, yes, a good idea, and preferrably a FireWire interface too. But each to their own. USB3 is meant to be the hot new thing, but for the moment you cant beat FW and macs support FW800 right? too cool!

Google it all dude, its all out there, and at the end of the day, we buy what we can afford yeah? U can always sell and upgrade, but its still amazing what you can achieve with a very modest set up. Its great to have all the toys n hardware so as to be surrounded by all the space station blinky lights n madness and just being able to get ur hands dirty, but its not really neccessary these days with what goes on inside of ur puter.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
jaki54321

Quote:
The pod will work, does it only have 2 inputs though? I suggested a souncard with more inputs, like atleast 8 with a couple of optical IO's so as to make the most of your mixer. U know, so you can record more than one stereo track at a time, or not having to record a whole mix bussed down into a stero out.
Something like the awesome Focusrite OctoPre MkII, or MOTU;s and even M-Audio has one with heaps of inputs, (even better you want the pre-amps, cos next after the mixer youll want the outboard preamps and compressors and reverbs ) alot of these soundcards you can daisychain together, so if you get the onyx you could run a direct out from each channel straight into the soundcard into Reaper and having a one to one relationship to your tracks and mixer. An awesome way to do it I rekon, bit more expensive, but its the way Id like to go,having a fair bit of hardware, just need a bigger soundcard.

I dont know how the Onyx works exactly, but what you said about soundcards having midi ports, yes, a good idea, and preferrably a FireWire interface too. But each to their own. USB3 is meant to be the hot new thing, but for the moment you cant beat FW and macs support FW800 right? too cool!

Google it all dude, its all out there, and at the end of the day, we buy what we can afford yeah? U can always sell and upgrade, but its still amazing what you can achieve with a very modest set up. Its great to have all the toys n hardware so as to be surrounded by all the space station blinky lights n madness and just being able to get ur hands dirty, but its not really neccessary these days with what goes on inside of ur puter.
Sadly my pod studio has 3 outputs... 2 analog outputs and 1 S/PDIF digital output. I got this one because its basic, fun, and I am just one guy doing this stuff... I have no assistance whatsoever other then my parents who don't have a clue about this kind of stuff but support me greatly.

I was looking at the line 6 toneport UX8, it has 8 outputs, and 8 inputs(with 2 extra in the front), which I think is just plain fricken awesome xD I enjoy line 6 gear, I like their gear a lot. But I also want top of the line. I'm thinking about going with either a behringer USB mixer, or the BCF2000. If not ill get the onyx. Its just I'm on a tight budget. So its complicated to get a lot of stuff.

here's a link to the UX8, would it work well?

http://line6.com/toneportux8/specifications.html

Last edited by jaki54321; 03-20-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
strunkdts

UX8, sure man, that'll more than do the trick.
(Does it come in FireWire too? FireWire would be better than USB i rekon, but they both do the trick, FireWire is faster though and you can funnel alot more info down it compared to USB)

Go nuts!

Last edited by strunkdts; 03-20-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
jaki54321

Quote:
UX8, sure man, that'll more than do the trick.
(Does it come in FireWire too? FireWire would be better than USB i rekon, but they both do the trick, FireWire is faster though and you can funnel alot more info down it compared to USB)

Go nuts!
No firewire unfortunately... Maybe they will soon release some new stuff, I'm not getting any new equipment till summertime, so I'm sure by that time ill find some more firewire stuffs.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #13
Lastrite

Maybe the Allen & Heath ZED R 16 is interesting for you.

http://www.allen-heath.co.uk/zed/zed-R16.asp

18 x IO through Firewire or 16 x IO through ADAT. It also has some midi-control features I believe.

EDIT: I believe there a 24 channel edition coming in the near furure as well.
Lastrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #14
daverich

the onyx rocks,- but it's only a mixer with a firewire card built in which outputs the audio from all 16 channels (if you have the 1640) - it is not a control surface - this is an important distinction and much be appreciated or you could end up with something you don't want.

However, if you're mixing a live show and want to record separate outs then there's nothing else this good for the money.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
jaki54321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastrite View Post
Maybe the Allen & Heath ZED R 16 is interesting for you.

http://www.allen-heath.co.uk/zed/zed-R16.asp

18 x IO through Firewire or 16 x IO through ADAT. It also has some midi-control features I believe.

EDIT: I believe there a 24 channel edition coming in the near furure as well.
That would be awesome... if it wasn't 2,000 dollars =O
Old 03-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
ARP

What is the point of using software ? if all you guys want to do is get as near to a hardware interface as possible, you may as well get a Seck mixer and a Tascam reel-to-reel, and save yourselves all the hassle. That way you can spend most of your time fixing dry joints, and lining up tape machines, and wrestling with hardware rather than actually recording any music.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #17
strunkdts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
What is the point of using software ? if all you guys want to do is get as near to a hardware interface as possible, you may as well get a Seck mixer and a Tascam reel-to-reel, and save yourselves all the hassle. That way you can spend most of your time fixing dry joints, and lining up tape machines, and wrestling with hardware rather than actually recording any music.
No man, that is very far from the reality of the situation.
Using hardware to get it into your DAW makes total bloody sense to me.
Screw the tascam and the tapes, why would anyone need that?
And you seem to have something deep in your ass about this issue. It certainly didnt warrant a post like the one above, and what youre talking about has nothing to do with what we are discussing.
You use all software? good for you. And your the cat that doesnt see any use for the mixer view either. Woah!
Some of us prefer to skin the cat differently.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
jaki54321

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
Thats your prerogative man, but I like using both, hardware controlling software is my prerogative as software is yours.

Thank you all for your amazing help, I can never repay you all.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
strunkdts

you can repay me man,
im currently taking donations for some new bits of kit i cant afford.
Just PM and ill give you my account details

Its gonna be the new big thing around here.
A reaper golden airline or Pyramid scheme thing, except not so dodgy