COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
StudioTan
Human being with feelings

Default Turn Off Monitoring?

Sorry if this has been covered but I can't seem to find it.

Is there any way to only hear what others are playing, and not yourself, while transmitting your performance in Reaper? Can't seem to figure this one out. I can/want to monitor myself outside of Reaper due to the annoying latency (yes I've set everything to minimum but it still bothers me, and things crackle a little when going too extreme). But, maybe this would make my performance too early if Ninjam factors in latency.

Maybe I need better hardware with lower latency...
StudioTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
pljones

Set up a Reaper session just like you would for joining a jam normally. I mean exactly the same. In fact, you can use the session you usually use.

If you want to record your track, then tell Reaper to record. If you're set up correctly, you'll be recording your input, which is what you want to be recording.

The other way is to use ReaNINJAM record - in ReaNINJAM, look at File->Preferences. This saves the jam sessions you join to the given location in a special format. You can load them into Reaper by loading a file called "clipsort.log" that holds the details of the session.

If you don't want to be heard, uncheck "Xmit on" in ReaNINJAM for the local channel.

And yes, if you're having a problem with latency, bypassing the recording software isn't the solution.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
StudioTan

@pljones: Thanks for the quick reply!

I do want to be heard, however I do not want to hear myself through Reaper. It seems that's not possible?

For example, I can't seem to isolate the other players from myself if I want to transmit myself: Both the other players and myself are routed to the master output in Reaper.

One thing I'm wondering is: Will Ninjam still transmit my playing if my Local Channels' meters are not active, AND my Xmit button is checked? This is what happens when I solo everyone else in the Remote Channels section. When I do this, my meters under Local Channels become inactive. So, I'm wondering what exactly these meters indicate? Are they what I'M hearing only? Or, do they also indicate what others are hearing as well (regarding the meters on the Local Channels side).

The problem is that I can hear the latency even when I set the sample size to 64 on my devices, which is supposed to translate to around 10ms, but I realized it much higher than that due to other factors.

My devices allow latency-free monitoring, and I'd much rather hear that instead of myself through Ninjam/Reaper. Basically I just want to hear the other players ONLY through Reaper, and I want to use my devices' direct latency-free monitoring at the same time.

I realize that what they will be hearing will be dependant my my hardware's latency. So, if I set the sample size to 128, for example (this is where I start to not hear clicks/artifacts), they will hear this delay (I think).
Old 01-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
StudioTan

Okay, I found out I am still transmitting even though the meters aren't showing anything. That was confusing me LOL.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
pljones

If you're transmitting, make sure the only thing reaching your ears is the NINJAM output, otherwise you'll not be hearing the "real" thing -- any latency in your system will mean you're not playing in time with everyone, messing up the jam for everyone else.

Latency in milliseconds is more important than in samples. Latency around 5ms should be fine. But to make sure you're playing in time, it's still best to play to what you hear -- that means the only latency is on output, rather than also on input, potentially halving the delay.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
StudioTan

Yeah I'm listening to Ninjam plus its metronome and am playing against that (I'm a drummer). However I can't get the latency anywhere close to 5ms, and that's why I'm not listening to myself through Ninjam, but rather, realtime. I don't have a latency checker, but the Steinberg ASIO panel says it's about 11ms, but whatever it is, it's way too much for me and throws me off (I own the MR816X).