Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #1
inframan
Human being with feelings

Default how to do a simple audio-to-midi, recording the midi

I have a single-voice audio item in track 1 and use this audio to generate midi notes which I then route to track 2.

This is done by having JS Audio to Midi Drum Trigger FX in track 1, then set up a route in track 1 "Send to Track 2", with settings Post-Fader, Post-Pan; Audio>None; MIDI-All -> MIDI-All. (I do not care about pitch in track 1's audio, only note onset timing, so Midi Drum Trigger does the job.)

Now I am trying, without success, to get the MIDI notes coming into track 2 to be recorded there as a midi item.

The midi notes are indeed coming into track 2; I can see them flashing red in track 2's level meter, and if I add a synth FX in track 2 to test, the routed midi from track 1 will cause the synth to sound.

I have tried many, many combinations of settings on track 2's red Record Arm button's (right-click) context menu (Arm, Input, Monitor etc) or other settings on track 2, but none will cause the incoming midi in track 2 to be recorded.

Sorry, I am quite new to Reaper and am just fighting my way up the learning curve. What am I doing wrong?
inframan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
inframan

oops, seem to have solved this myself, at least partially. Setting needed in Track 2 is "Record: Output (MIDI)"

terminology seems counterintuitive. I would have thought it is the midi Input to track 2 which is recorded. but anyway, that now works.

However, how can I get this midi recording to replace any pre-existing midi item in track 2? If I select Record: MIDI Replace it no longer records at all.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
DarkStar

I'm glad that you found the solution.

In Reaper terminology only audio devices and MIDI devices are "Inputs". Receives from other tracks are "Outputs"". I would prefer to see Receives as inputs too.

"Record MIDI overdub/replace" is only for MIDI Inputs.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
inframan

thanks for confirming that terminology, Darkstar. I think I am beginning to get it now.

So I guess in the context of settings for a track's routing, recording and monitoring, "Input" is signals coming in relative to the entire app, and "Output" means signals which are output from another track. Is that the best way to understand it?

Anyway, in my particular use-case I want the newly recorded media item containing midi routed into track 2 from track 1 be the sole media item in that part of track 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
"Record MIDI overdub/replace" is only for MIDI Inputs.
does this mean, that if prior to hitting "Record" there is any preexisting media in the same place in track 2 I'll need to delete it by hand before recording the new midi "Output" routed in ? Or is there some other, more automatic way to achieve a replace/record?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #5
DarkStar

1 Yes, that is a reasonable way of thinking about it in your situation, but see ashcat_it's clearer explanation below.

2 Yes, either delete the pre-existing item. Or ... or just do the recording and you will get the new recording as a second take within the clip (at least, that's what happens here). after several recordings each into new takes you can audition each one, choose the best and delete the rest.

Last edited by DarkStar; 02-03-2017 at 12:01 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by inframan View Post
So I guess in the context of settings for a track's routing, recording and monitoring, "Input" is signals coming in relative to the entire app, and "Output" means signals which are output from another track. Is that the best way to understand it?
No. Record Output records the output of that track. A receive is a receive, a send is a send. If this track was receiving from several other tracks, it would record the mix of all of them. If you had some plugin on the track, it would record the effected mix of all of the receives. Move the fader, it affects what gets recorded. You are recording the post-fader output of that particular track.

You could right click the item in Track1, choose the option to apply MIDI FX as new take, then copy it to Track2 and it would probably be faster than this realtime bounce method.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote