Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Jimbo12308
Human being with feelings

Default Struggling with Freezing Tracks

Hi all,

So I'm working on a project with my band and am getting fairly frustrated while trying to mix. Despite my PC being a 2.4Ghz quad core with 16GB of RAM, I'm having a huge amount of playback lag/stuttering. I've got a pretty huge mix going (total of 87 tracks including insert tracks, bus/parent tracks, etc.) almost all of which have FX on them (including some tracks with nearly 10 plugins). I've tried some various methods to help (like adjusting the buffer size) and these have improved the ability to listen back, but as soon as I try to adjust anything on the fly while listening, the playback lags out again. I came to the conclusion that my best bet would be to freeze tracks that I'm not working on; however, I have so much routing going on in so many different directions (bus/sub-bus routing, reverb sends, side-chain compression, sample triggers, etc.) that whenever I try to freeze tracks the routing issues play havoc with everything.

I'm still fairly new to all of this and was hoping you guys could shed some light on perhaps how I can freeze tracks without doing crazy things to my routing.

Thanks!
Jimbo12308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
Coachz

Can you increase your buffer since you are mixing?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
martifingers

It seems that buffer size has not helped much.

I don'y know if it would suit your work flow but maybe think about Stems?
http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#rJQxJBemmRE
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
insub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo12308 View Post
I have so much routing going on in so many different directions (bus/sub-bus routing, reverb sends, side-chain compression, sample triggers, etc.) that whenever I try to freeze tracks the routing issues play havoc with everything.
First off... You should never start Mixing while any kind of VSTi is still active. These should always be rendered to audio prior to mixing.

If you have really complex routing then I think that Martin is correct. You need to render some stems. Save as a new project and bring in only the stems and continue mixing from there.

You have hit a brick wall in the capability of your computer and it's time to make some semi-permanent choices. Whatever parts are finished then render the track's output and put in a new project. In the old days there was no such thing as unlimited undo's or non-destructive editing. Thank God we have those at our fingertips today, but we are still limited by the power of our workstations. Luckily, you can have more than one version of the same project and storage space is cheap these days, so you can even duplicate the source files.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote