Old 02-18-2017, 01:04 AM   #1
Adida
Human being with feelings

Default Yamaha Motif XS8 Problem with Reaper

I am trying to use my motif xs8 as a keyboard controller (Playing midi notes)
I have my set up just fine, the driver is installed and I have a midi cable connected to reaper (reaper reads the midi usb cable just fine) but I am unsure what I am doing wrong.
I record arm and monitor input, but I have no signal or audio playing from any vst from my midi keyboard.

My Yamaha Motif XS8 has worked before on logic pro (Apple) But I made the switch to windows now, so I am using Reaper and I am using a Yamaha UX16 Midi Usb and Yamaha Motif XS8.
Any help is greatly appreciated or suggestions, I have my channel set to "Omni" for the motif xs Yamaha, I just want to figure out what I am doing wrong overall, much appreciation!

Last edited by Adida; 02-18-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Adida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
Adida

[QUOTE=Adida;1803993]I am trying to use my motif xs8 as a keyboard controller (Playing midi notes)
I have my set up just fine, the driver is installed and I have a midi cable connected to reaper (reaper reads the midi usb cable just fine) but I am unsure what I am doing wrong.
I record arm and monitor input, but I have no signal or audio playing from any vst from my midi keyboard.

My Yamaha Motif XS8 has worked before on logic pro (Apple) But I made the switch to windows now, so I am using Reaper and I am using a Yamaha UX16 Midi Usb and Yamaha Motif XS8.

Last edited by Adida; 03-01-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:59 AM   #3
slipstick

O.k. so you have Windows 10. What version of Reaper ? What VSTs have you tried that make no sound ? Do you get any sound if you press keys on the Reaper Virtual Keyboard ?

In Options/Preferences/Audio/MIDI Devices what input device can you see and is it enabled for input ? On your track right click on Record Arm button. Are Input Monitor, Record Input (Audio or MIDI) and Input MIDI all selected ? With either MIDI All or your input device name selected for MIDI input ?

When you press a key on the Yamaha do you see any red signal on the track meter ? That shows MIDI is coming through.

All of this is covered in the Reaper User Guide. Chapter 3 is very useful, starting at 3.30 for MIDI recording.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
Adida

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
O.k. so you have Windows 10. What version of Reaper ? What VSTs have you tried that make no sound ? Do you get any sound if you press keys on the Reaper Virtual Keyboard ?

In Options/Preferences/Audio/MIDI Devices what input device can you see and is it enabled for input ? On your track right click on Record Arm button. Are Input Monitor, Record Input (Audio or MIDI) and Input MIDI all selected ? With either MIDI All or your input device name selected for MIDI input ?

When you press a key on the Yamaha do you see any red signal on the track meter ? That shows MIDI is coming through.

All of this is covered in the Reaper User Guide. Chapter 3 is very useful, starting at 3.30 for MIDI recording.

Steve
I am using reaper 5.33

From what I know so far I get no midi signal and no sound whenever I play any vst inside of reaper.

inside preferences for midi device It shows that my midi usb cable is read inside of reaper, and I have enabled input and control, I have also enabled midi out as well.

I have arm record track with the input monitoring, I have tried midi all channels and my usb midi all for the inputs and still no midi or sound signal. I also have record input/midi for the input record.

I do get sound if I use reaper virtual keybed or if I use my computer to type those commands, but I don't get it from my yamaha for some reason.

My yamaha has worked on all listed Daws (Logic, Bitwig, Ableton, Pro Tools etc.) And hasn't had a huge problem like this one.

I am wondering if I have to specifically route something from my yamaha or from reaper all together. It has been nearly a month from my purchase and I still am trying to figure things out, I know everything is connected right, I have looked on the yamaha the different settings I could configure to work but I am unsure what it is I am overlooking or if this is just purely a compatibility issue with reaper.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
slipstick

So there's nothing wrong with the VSTs or sound in general. And the MIDI interface seems to be connected. The only problem is that you're not seeing any MIDI from your keyboard. And the keyboard is working and has MIDI enabled ?

You say it works with loads of other DAWs. Do you mean now, using exactly the same MIDI cable and UX16 interface ? If so I'm lost. I guess we'll have to wait for someone who knows more than me, which isn't difficult.

Steve
Old 02-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
Adida

Quote:
So there's nothing wrong with the VSTs or sound in general. And the MIDI interface seems to be connected. The only problem is that you're not seeing any MIDI from your keyboard. And the keyboard is working and has MIDI enabled ?

You say it works with loads of other DAWs. Do you mean now, using exactly the same MIDI cable and UX16 interface ? If so I'm lost. I guess we'll have to wait for someone who knows more than me, which isn't difficult.

Steve
Yeah it has worked before just fine on my macbook pro and I used those daws before with minimal to no problems, I even had the daw type set to "Logic" On my yamaha and it worked fine with pro tools and bitwing and ableton and other similar daws, I just am unsure what my yamaha is doing possibly to make reaper not have any sound or midi play.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
Adida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adida View Post
Yeah it has worked before just fine on my macbook pro and I used those daws before with minimal to no problems, I even had the daw type set to "Logic" On my yamaha and it worked fine with pro tools and bitwing and ableton and other similar daws, I just am unsure what my yamaha is doing possibly to make reaper not have any sound or midi play.
it seems no one has the knowledge to fix this problem. I have tried to stay and find trouble shoots or alternatives downloading drivers and I am unsure if it is a firmware issue or honestly a software or compatibility issue. I am unsure if I should purchase another DAW and not use Reaper or continue with the trouble shooting and no answers given. I am unsure what set-up I am using to cause reaper to not respond with any midi given.

The last problem I will say for my Yamaha, is that when I connect the USB to the computer, reaper doesn't read or recognize the USB, meaning it cannot be choosen under the midi devices and doesn't appear there. However, my MIDI USB (Not the regular USB) I have downloaded drivers for the Yamaha is read, but it doesn't make any signal from my Yamaha when I play it. I am unsure if I am doing something wrong for the USB and Midi, it seems as if it doesn't read my Yamaha, it reads the cables and my computer just fine.

What can be causing this inside of reaper? Does it only have certain midi controllers work for it and is limited in that aspect? I am unsure and willing to stay using Reaper if the problem is solved but it seems this week I will be looking at a new DAW that can deliver better alternatives or can actually read an internal sequencer (which has worked on other daws before) I'm so frustrated with Reaper it is unbelievable.

Last edited by Adida; 02-20-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #8
slipstick

Reaper works fine with any MIDI device that works and that sends standard MIDI codes.

So you tried it with USB-USB and that didn't work ? You didn't mention that before. For that you must have changed MIDI In/Out in MIDI settings on the KS8 to "USB".

When you went back to using a standard MIDI cable to the UX16 (with MIDI OUT on the KS8 connected to MIDI IN on the UX16) did you remember to change the MIDI In/Out back to MIDI instead of USB ?

To check that the setup works at all why not try opening a free program like Audacity and see if you see any MIDI coming through there.

Steve
Old 02-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #9
Adida

Quote:
Reaper works fine with any MIDI device that works and that sends standard MIDI codes.

So you tried it with USB-USB and that didn't work ? You didn't mention that before. For that you must have changed MIDI In/Out in MIDI settings on the KS8 to "USB".

When you went back to using a standard MIDI cable to the UX16 (with MIDI OUT on the KS8 connected to MIDI IN on the UX16) did you remember to change the MIDI In/Out back to MIDI instead of USB ?

To check that the setup works at all why not try opening a free program like Audacity and see if you see any MIDI coming through there.

Steve
I may give Cubase or bitwig a try again, I believe audacity only records audio etc. and does not read midi or can playback midi etc.

All I want to know is if someone knows how to troubleshoot this, or has a xs motif and has solved it. I would love to know the settings or what to use. I use only USB cables or Midi USB cables to connect to reaper. I have tried many different settings and downloading drivers but I would like a fresh clean start on how to get reaper to respond to my motif when I am playing it.
It seems to be a simple problem but I am unsure if I posted in the right section of the forum. I just want to be able to use my purchased copy of reaper and make music, its very stressful not being able too since this is kind of my way of relaxing my mind.

If you have any idea or method I should try I will try it.
I have downloaded audacity and when I have done that it doesn't show or read my midi cable USB like reaper has read.
The problem is the keyboard it seems to have such a hard time connecting with reaper. The cables are read fine, so at this point, I just need to know how to troubleshoot my motif so I can play it. It has worked on my other daws in the past which is why this is so odd to me.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
slipstick

Sorry, I don't know why I said Audacity. What I was actually thinking of was Anvil Studio...which does take MIDI input and is very simple to set up.

It sounds to me like the problem is in the XS8 setup somewhere. But certainly it would be worth trying it with some other program. You need to confirm that the keyboard is actually sending MIDI data with the exact setup and connections that you're currently using.

Steve
Old 02-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #11
Adida

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know why I said Audacity. What I was actually thinking of was Anvil Studio...which does take MIDI input and is very simple to set up.

It sounds to me like the problem is in the XS8 setup somewhere. But certainly it would be worth trying it with some other program. You need to confirm that the keyboard is actually sending MIDI data with the exact setup and connections that you're currently using.

Steve
I never used anvil studio before, mind helping me walk through the process? I looked up a few videos that seem to have an older version of anvil and other things that kind of confuse me. However I was able to get to the midi testing page as anvil studio was able to read the cable midi

However I am uncertain if it is setup correctly -- So far from what I know, it says from that test these messages:

Sending Note On 60 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note Off 60 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note On 61 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note Off 61 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note On 62 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note Off 62 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note On 63 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note Off 63 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note On 64 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note Off 64 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note On 65 channels 1 to 16

Unsure what to really do, but it's all new to me using this anvil program.

Hopefully if things go the way they should, we could go back to reaper as well and see what is happening but I don't know just yet.

Last edited by Adida; 02-27-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:15 PM   #12
Adida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adida View Post
I never used anvil studio before, mind helping me walk through the process? I looked up a few videos that seem to have an older version of anvil and other things that kind of confuse me. However I was able to get to the midi testing page as anvil studio was able to read the cable midi

However I am uncertain if it is setup correctly -- So far from what I know, it says from that test these messages:

Sending Note On 60 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note Off 60 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note On 61 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note Off 61 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note On 62 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note Off 62 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note On 63 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note Off 63 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note On 64 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note Off 64 channels 1 to 16
Sending Note On 65 channels 1 to 16

Unsure what to really do, but it's all new to me using this anvil program.

Hopefully if things go the way they should, we could go back to reaper as well and see what is happening but I don't know just yet.
I am guessing no one has a response onto how to get the XS8 to work inside of reaper for sending midi to other SSynth / Vst, unsure if I should just buy a new midi controller to work within reaper that might be compatible to it, or just buy a new daw. I am very confused and stressed out right now.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
Adida

Is there any midi controllers that work well with reaper that people have used as a controller, including the faders and knobs and so on? I am either looking at buying a new controller (With a keybed perferably)
Or just going the new daw software route. I have purchased reaper a month ago with no possible solution for how to get my yamaha to work inside of it. I am wondering what to do or what I should do or if I posted in the wrong section of the forum about what is going on.