Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
levets
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI SysEx - does reaper not "thru" it?

I've got a controller keyboard that I can assign SysEx messages to to control things that CC messages can not.

I had set up my controller plugged in directly to a Roland FA-06 and it was working fine. But the controller needs to plug into the computer to update its control maps, which I had been working on tonight.

I sent over the control map with the SysEx messages and then tried it - and they don't work.

I used MIDI Examiner and when I send from my controller, a note message or a CC message, it responds telling me it gets the message.

But when I send a SysEx message, it does not.

Likewise, I can see the In and Out LEDS for MIDI on my interface "passing" the MIDI "thru" the track, but SysEx only shows signal coming into the Interface.

It's as if there's a MIDI Filter somewhere that's not allowing SysEx messages to pass (that's what it would be in Cubase).

I do see where you can send a SysEx message from the ReaControlMidi plug, and there is a Filter in the MIDI Editor which does have SysEx as an option.

I can also record Notes and CC changes - both are displayed in the MIDI Editor.

And even there, in its list of displays there's a SysEx option.

But, unlike notes and CC changes, when I press record and move a knob or press a button with a SysEx message on it, nothing gets recorded (or shows up in that SysEx window).

What am I missing?
levets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
levets

Man I'd really love an answer for this one.

Anyone?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #3
EvilDragon

Hm, not sure. I can record sysex just fine here...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:49 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

I'm not aware of any issue with recording or playing back sysex. Do you have any plugins in the signal chain (including input FX) that not be passing the sysex through?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
levets

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I'm not aware of any issue with recording or playing back sysex. Do you have any plugins in the signal chain (including input FX) that not be passing the sysex through?
I have ReaControlMIDI on those tracks. I see it has a SysEx message window where you can transmit a message out, but I don't really see any "filtering" kind of options.

Let me delete it from a channel and see what happens...
Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
levets

A-ha - I just figured it out (though it doesn't make sense).

I have two MIDI input devices and my track input is set to all devices on all channels.

When I set it to the specific device that's sending the message, it works - BUT only if it's set to send on All Channels. Put it on Channel 1 and it doesn't work again.

So it has to be "all channels" but not "all devices" - which makes no logical sense to me. Have to ponder it for a bit to comprehend why it won't work the logical way.

Well, at least they didn't lose my 60 bucks...but there's still time...
Old 02-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #7
schwa
Administrator

MIDI distinguishes between channel messages (music, basically) and meta-messages like sysex, which are not associated with a channel. Sounds like your device is only passing through meta-messages when set to "all channels," which is reasonable (it would also be reasonable to always pass through meta-messages no matter what the channel is set to).
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
levets

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
MIDI distinguishes between channel messages (music, basically) and meta-messages like sysex, which are not associated with a channel. Sounds like your device is only passing through meta-messages when set to "all channels," which is reasonable (it would also be reasonable to always pass through meta-messages no matter what the channel is set to).
You are correct - there are "Channel Messages" and like 4 other categories - SysEx is in a different category of message type.

I don't think I've used this controller with another DAW - so it may be that it does in fact send SysEx on "all channels" while other controllers I've used with other DAWs would take it on a single channel (becuase I actually usually picked a single channel from a single device rather than "all devices" as I tried with Reaper).

It is still a little odd that it won't take it in on "All Devices" if set to All Channels. But I don't care as long as it works, and it does!