Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v4.7rc1 - July 9 2014

v4.7rc1 - July 9 2014

+ Explode multichannel media: now obeys render/glue format option [issueid=5260]
+ Project settings: improved media format options for glue/apply fx/etc
+ Mixer: 'Go to send destination' tweaks [issueid=5152]
+ Changing track selection via right-click creates an undo point (if the related option is enabled, in prefs/general)
# Track manager: more selection mirroring fixes (mostly when changing track selection via actions)
# WASAPI: possible performance fix for issue introduced in pre11 [p=1375037]
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

thanks devs.

The name for the "default media format for project/region" could do with a few extra words there to say what it's for (as in rendering etc) I had to "check myself" to remember what it was referring to myself.

Still hoping for that PIP fix for sub projects to have the same settings. I work with two other people now who would love to use PIPS more for their media work but it's a nuisance when the settings have to be changed for sub pips manually every time. I'll be forever grateful or whatever I need to do it would be a big speed difference here.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
witti

Please devs, can you fix some midi editor ruler bugs for the next official release ?

I've noticed a few things:

Mouse modifier actions are not working on the ruler while they are working on the divider line between the arrange view and the cc/velocity lane.
(e.g. Midi ruler ctrl-left click: Select notes in time selection, etc...)

Also ruler numbers are disappearing when handscrolling to the left.
To recreate this just insert a new midi file with a length of one measure.
Open it in the midi editor and zoom to one loop iteration and drag the ruler for scrolling to the left.

Edit: Grid lines are disappearing when handscrolling to the left.
To recreate this just insert a new midi file with a length of TWO measures.
Open it in the midi editor and zoom to one loop iteration and drag the ruler for scrolling to the left.

There are some other little bugs with the editor. Will post them later in the bug tracker...

(Edit: not really belonging to this thread, but...

...can you fix the jumping envelope points (when moving them in a time selection) ? This one is very annoying and seems to be pretty new. See this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=141650)

Thanks !

Last edited by witti; 07-09-2014 at 11:08 PM.
witti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
v4.7rc1 - July 9 2014
+ Explode multichannel media: now obeys render/glue format option [issueid=5260]
It's been a good run. One of the best pre-cycles for increasing my productivity in a while, thanks again for the media explorer stuff.

Not much to add except to re-iterate that I strongly feel glue, apply fx, recording, freezing, rendering, batch converting, copying media to project directory etc. all need to know when the destination location has run out of space instead of creating 0 byte or incomplete files with out any indication there was an error.

Yes, the user needs to be aware of these things too and try to avoid them from happening, but they still do, and if the price for eternal vigilance is a few lines of code (especially when they already exist and can be reused), I think that's a good trade-off...
Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

I'd love to see the ability still to use wildcard "/" to auto create folders based on parent track names etc for recording but I'm not too bothered been some great updates this pre for sure!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Triode

...Or auto create a folder for mix renders to go...... I think Planetnine was asking for this one too
Old 07-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
spinlud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
...Or auto create a folder for mix renders to go...... I think Planetnine was asking for this one too
it could be nice!
spinlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
hopi

semi OT but...

there seems to have been a point the pre's where using an external midi editor for .mid files [as set up in pref's] stopped working... I know it used to work way back but many people say it does not work currently. I'm on 64 bit and it does not work for me. The midi item never opens in the ext. ed. and only in the reaper midi ed.

I wonder if this is known by the DEV's and if it will be addressed soon?

thanks DEV's for any response
Old 07-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Shootkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I'm on 64 bit and it does not work for me. The midi item never opens in the ext. ed. and only in the reaper midi ed.
I'm on x64 too and I do able to open my .mids in x86-ish MuseScore. The trick is you need to make your midi item external. Something like Convert active take MIDI to .mid file reference then Item: Open items in primary external editor. That "workflow" is far from ideal by any stretch - you have to re-import edited scores back to Reaper every time but it kinda works.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
airon

Quote:
v4.7rc1 - July 9 2014
Interesting. Looked like a preset selection system but of course it isn't. Changing the custom configuration by reselecting the custom entry is something I didn't expect but picked up on fairly quickly.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootkin View Post
I'm on x64 too and I do able to open my .mids in x86-ish MuseScore. The trick is you need to make your midi item external. Something like Convert active take MIDI to .mid file reference then Item: Open items in primary external editor. That "workflow" is far from ideal by any stretch - you have to re-import edited scores back to Reaper every time but it kinda works.
thanks for that info... where exactly is that 'convert' setting?

but really... I can't consider that truly 'working', you know? what we want is to rt clk a midi item and be able to open it in the exe of the external editor and work with it in notation view and then save it back to the midi item with those changes... just the same as we can do with audio media items on a track....

EDIT ok please continue this over here:http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=142513

thanks see you there

Last edited by hopi; 07-09-2014 at 02:22 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Quote:
cool, but we've been asking for some control over the renaming of such items for some time... though i can't find the threads right now...

but yea, manually correcting auto-added name suffixes all the time is very tiresome.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
musicbynumbers

Yeah. Being able to tweak the names or disable them would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
cool, but we've been asking for some control over the renaming of such items for some time... though i can't find the threads right now...

but yea, manually correcting auto-added name suffixes all the time is very tiresome.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

*cough*

In case you didn't notice, this is the rc1 thread, so if you could limit discussion to "this is broken in 4.7rc1 but works in 4.62" or similar, that would be very helpful. Thank you.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #15
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
*cough*

In case you didn't notice, this is the rc1 thread, so if you could limit discussion to "this is broken in 4.7rc1 but works in 4.62" or similar, that would be very helpful. Thank you.
sorry about that Justin... I know it was a bit OT... yet at the same time, even though I can't point to the last version where it was working, it does seem a bit broken now... [ext. midi editor issue]
Old 07-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #16
dr_After

Zooming bug in MIDI editor is here again! (I noticed it since the last pre)

Open this file, zoom in the MIDI part and perform action in MIDI editor "View: zoom to content". It zooms out horizontally to fit the content on screen, which is good, but it also zooms out vertically, which is bad.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_z...it?usp=sharing
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:28 AM   #17
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
sorry about that Justin... I know it was a bit OT... yet at the same time, even though I can't point to the last version where it was working, it does seem a bit broken now... [ext. midi editor issue]
If you could test to determine when the ext midi editor issue started, that'd be helpful.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #18
Breeder

So we're in RC phase, here goes my last try to persuade the devs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Cursor is still not obeying snap when moving it with ruler drag zoom.

Please consider implementing it (at least as an option all though it really makes sense for it to just follow existing snap settings)
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #19
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If you could test to determine when the ext midi editor issue started, that'd be helpful.
ouch... I can't exactly but can offer this from memory...

I used to run 32 bit on an XP pc... but now I'm on a whole other win7 pc and reaper 64 bit and I do keep up with the pre's...

on that XP system, as I recall the midi ext. editor used to work OK... and I 'think' reaper was version 3.75 or so ..or perhaps into the very early 4.xxx versions....

I don't know if this is something that got lost in the 64 bit vs. 32 bit versions, but I'll go get an early 4.xxx and try it as a portable and come back.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #20
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
ouch... I can't exactly but can offer this from memory...

I used to run 32 bit on an XP pc... but now I'm on a whole other win7 pc and reaper 64 bit and I do keep up with the pre's...

on that XP system, as I recall the midi ext. editor used to work OK... and I 'think' reaper was version 3.75 or so ..or perhaps into the very early 4.xxx versions....

I don't know if this is something that got lost in the 64 bit vs. 32 bit versions, but I'll go get an early 4.xxx and try it as a portable and come back.
It works fine here:
Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #21
hopi

thanks Justin... notepad eh?

please try it with musescore or quickscore or better yet with Sibelius [which is what we really want to use]... and after making changes save it in the ext. editor so that it goes right back into reaper as a mid file that includes the changes... I can not seem to make that work...

As close as I can come is to do a Save As from the ext. editor, save as a mid file to some other location, like the desktop, and then have to go get that mid file and drag it into the reaper project.

Am I making sense as to what the problem for me [and others is about?]
Now if this discussion should not be here... there is a thread in general that is about this as well. Again I do apologize for the OT to RC1.

PS here is the other thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...=1#post1376510

Last edited by hopi; 07-10-2014 at 11:46 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
thanks Justin... notepad eh?

please try it with musescore or quickscore or better yet with Sibelius [which is what we really want to use]... and after making changes save it in the ext. editor so that it goes right back into reaper as a mid file that includes the changes... I can not seem to make that work...

As close as I can come is to do a Save As from the ext. editor, save as a mid file to some other location, like the desktop, and then have to go get that mid file and drag it into the reaper project.

Am I making sense as to what the problem for me [and others is about?]
Now if this discussion should not be here... there is a thread in general that is about this as well. Again I do apologize for the OT to RC1.

PS here is the other thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...=1#post1376510

Two things you will need to check:

1) Make sure REAPER is stopped when switching away, so it can set the media offline
2) Make sure that the option to set media offline when switching away is set.

REAPER will re-read the MIDI file when it brings it back online, but if you do it doing playback, it won't set the file offline, and won't bring it back online. Hope this helps. And Notepad is perfectly fine for this, I can edit MIDI files in ASCII
Old 07-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #23
Anton9

Default WASAPI Issue

Justin,

# WASAPI: possible performance fix for issue introduced in pre11 [p=1375037]

Looks like this did'nt help. I still get that recurring bit-crunched sound when using Exclusive(polled) mode. When switching to just Exclusive mode the sound is there for maybe 5-10 sec. then goes away and does'nt seem to recur.

What is the difference between Exclusive vs Exclusive(polled)?

Thanks
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #24
hopi

Quote:
I can edit MIDI files in ASCII
yes I bet you can! but then you can do a lot of things that very few others can do....

and sure, sure notepad might well be a fine ext. editor ... however it's a lousy staff view notation program... LoL

I do understand what your tips mean and have noted some success with the Notation program Forte as the ext. editor.
I think some of this issue belongs in the lap of the various notation programs being tried... but also plz have a look at that other mentioned thread where more details are emerging and where gofer has a good handle on what part of the problem does reside with reaper...

Thanks so much
Old 07-11-2014, 03:04 AM   #25
vidalsh

well...after discussion...

Can I open in secondary editor one item MIDI in Sibelius or Musescore?
vidalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #26
hopi

vidalsh plz come over to the link shown in post #11 here... the discussion grows over there
Old 07-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #27
musicbynumbers

I didn't know where to post this as it happened with the final version of 4.7 but I thought it's more discreet to put it here rather than the main thread?

I got this crash on trying to close a big project down. It froze on removing the last track (which was the video track decoded by VLC) hope that helps will see if it happens again..

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 4.7.0.0
Application Timestamp: 53bf203a
Hang Signature: 1f1e
Hang Type: 134217728
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Hang Signature 1: 1f1e5b59c2979e8609caf89ed00e3bb1
Additional Hang Signature 2: 64d6
Additional Hang Signature 3: 64d6f4f22685580d83378a4e630bf34b