Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #41
PitchSlap
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
No, the slider copy the behaviour of Master track volume slider.
Quote:

I still don't get it. Can you explain how it would be useful?

I think most people keep the master volume at unity 95% of the time and use either their soundcard, OS, external mixer, or even the hardware output send on the master track to control their listening volume. It would also seem to be nearly as quick just to manually set the media explorer volume as using an added new checkbox beside it.

Perhaps starting a new thread would be a better place to discuss it and more detail.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #42
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I still don't get it. Can you explain how it would be useful?
For example, you have Master track volume at -3db. Then you need to choose some samples for your project. But if you have ME at 0db, you won't hear how the samples will sound at -3db. Then you need you master track volume at -10db... Do you want to change every time ME volume or you would prefer to tick on following ME volume after the Master volume once?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #43
bombthepeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I can't seem to reproduce this. I wonder why we don't see the hand-scroll cursor in your gif? Are you using a customized mouse modifier for this (default is shift+cmd+opt right-drag)?
Yes I have select on left mouse button and right mouse button is hand scroll.

To Recreate:

I used a fresh Reaper.
Changed mouse modifiers to:
Set Midi piano roll - left drag - select time
Set Midi editor - right drag - to hand scroll

Here is the same result except now the handscroll shows, which never bothered me at all because hand scroll is the future. Scroll-bars suck In the beginning, after discovering Reaper, I used to try hand scroll OSX Finder - to no avail of course. Hand scroll should be in every application, so I would love a fix for this

I thought I'd add that the actual issue is not the clicking, just used that as an example, the actual issue is I have horizontal zoom on the middle mouse button, so it goes *handscroll to where i want to edit *horizontal zoom at that point *windows jumps to the left and I loose my place or *handscroll diagonally to where i want to edit *horizontal scroll to fine tune edit point *jumps back to start of clip.

Complete workflow killer and this only started once the media lane was introduced to the midi editor

Should I do a bug report?

Last edited by bombthepeer; 06-26-2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: more info
bombthepeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #44
PitchSlap

Quote:
For example, you have Master track volume at -3db. Then you need to choose some samples for your project. But if you have ME at 0db, you won't hear how the samples will sound at -3db. Then you need you master track volume at -10db... Do you want to change every time ME volume or you would prefer to tick on following ME volume after the Master volume once?
I just leave the master at 0dB and adjust my monitoring volume through my OS, soundcard or external mixer, that way the master and media explorer preview volumes stay constant relative to one another. Regardless of your hardware you should have at least one of those options.

I think a more useful way to address your issue, and also provide additional creative functionality would be to allow routing the media explorer output. That way samples could be auditioned through FX chains, or the master to keep the volume relative etc.

Here is a thread on the topic. Maybe I'll stick a FR on the tracker.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=122190

Last edited by PitchSlap; 06-26-2014 at 12:59 AM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:01 AM   #45
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Thanks, it would be very useful.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #46
PitchSlap

Quote:
I found an existing request for it in the feature tracker and linked it to the discussion thread.

Here's the FR tracker entry:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4792
Old 06-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #47
Shootkin

Quote:
Voted "yes". Indeed it would be nice feature. Hopefully it's not hard to implement, especially because there's already such a functionality for MIDIs.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:03 AM   #48
musicbynumbers

that could be useful. Especially through the monitor fx that is post master channel. I haven't checked if it is already doing that though.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:16 AM   #49
tico-tico

Hi.
Could anyone please explain how WASAPI buffer limits work in the shared mode? When I set it to 128 (actually everything < 132) samples, Reaper reports 132 sampl. latency. I don't know maybe this minimum value can be changed somewhere in the registry or in the driver's setting?
WASAPI in shared mode. IN - ESI Juli@, OUT - onboard Realtek.
Reaper x32 on Win 7 x64.
tico-tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:43 AM   #50
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Apart from the volume thing I keep asking for the only other thing that has always drove me crazy in the ME is that if you use a wacom pen in absolute mode to seek/locate to a different area in the currently playing preview sample, more than not you end up with a super small looped area instead of just moving the play head.

It would be great if the input from the "mouse" had a slight deadzone to stop the more sensitive wacom single taps being perceived as drags instead.

This doesn't happen in the arrange page so it's something to do with the ME only
Yes, please fix this!

Also, how do you go about adjusting the wet/dry mix on an effect using a wacom pen? It is just not happening here, it leaps about from 0 - 100% and is impossible to set. Can i change a setting in Reaper?
Old 06-27-2014, 02:48 AM   #51
Shootkin

Quote:
that could be useful. Especially through the monitor fx that is post master channel. I haven't checked if it is already doing that though.
I've checked it for you - indeed it works through the Monitoring FX lol.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 AM   #52
PitchSlap

Quote:
The media explorer output goes through the monitor FX chain. Similar to the poster in the feature request I use IK ARC, and things would sound quite different when they were auditioned vs. in the project so it's very helpful

I'd mostly want to preview through reverbs, delays, and creative fx chains etc.

Now that I look at it, the interface wouldn't need to chance one bit. A list of tracks could be added to a submenu when clicking the IO button. Maybe with a toggle to determine if the output goes through the selected track (as MIDI already does), or through whatever is explicitly chosen in the IO section.

Come to think of it, since the Rearoute channels show up in IO it would probably be possible to output to a rearoute channel, and then monitor that on a mixer track. It didn't work when I just tested it, but perhaps someone with more patience could get it working...

Last edited by PitchSlap; 06-27-2014 at 03:07 AM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:55 AM   #53
musicbynumbers

Unfortunately all reaper knobs like dry/wet and fx parameters on the tcp and mcp don't work with wacom or touch as they are absolute input devices and not relative ones like the mouse.

There's loads of vst plugin manufacturers who now offer a special mode for these devices and it works great.

I'm hoping the reaper devs can do this too

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Yes, please fix this!

Also, how do you go about adjusting the wet/dry mix on an effect using a wacom pen? It is just not happening here, it leaps about from 0 - 100% and is impossible to set. Can i change a setting in Reaper?
Old 06-28-2014, 03:24 AM   #54
David Else

Quote:
Unfortunately all reaper knobs like dry/wet and fx parameters on the tcp and mcp don't work with wacom or touch as they are absolute input devices and not relative ones like the mouse.

There's loads of vst plugin manufacturers who now offer a special mode for these devices and it works great.

I'm hoping the reaper devs can do this too
Thanks for the info! I think this should be a priority, it can be considered an accessibility issue as many (like me) are forced to use a pen due to RSI.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:30 AM   #55
musicbynumbers

Couldn't agree more!

Main reason I started using one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Thanks for the info! I think this should be a priority, it can be considered an accessibility issue as many (like me) are forced to use a pen due to RSI.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:47 AM   #56
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Can you confirm that it does it in pre8 as well, the SWS version used, and then send us your appdata\reaper\*.ini files (all ini files in that path). Email to support at cockos, Thanks!
Just noticed your reply Justin. Will do it!
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote